Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Waikiki Sunset w/ ND -8 Filter

travisjryan
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 09, 2011 12:30 |  #1

I was testing out my new ND filter yesterday. I was happy with the final (untouched) photo shown below but I know most people may look at the photo and say, wow, way too warm. I tried several white balance adjustments but they all seemed to turn out this way and I started to run out of time of course.

Is there anyone with a lot of ND experience that can give some pointers or maybe some RAW processing tips on how I could make this photo pop some more? Id love to see some more detail around the sun without retouching in Lightroom. Any tips or hate-mail welcome.

Equipment
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Hoya ND 8 stop

Camera Settings:
ISO 100, 105mm, f/13, 1/160sec, IS on

Again, the photo below is completely untouched, just resized, watermarked and converted to JPEG. :D

http://dl.dropbox.com …otos/Sunsets/Wa​ikiki1.jpg (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,427 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 09, 2011 17:07 |  #2

What the point of using a neutral density filter? As far as I know there's nothing magical about them. You could have gotten the same shot with a faster shutter speed and no filter. They're generally used in order to enable long exposure shots. Doing that here would blur the water movement and perhaps the sailboat, depending on how fast she was moving.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Phrasikleia
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 09, 2011 19:42 |  #3

Did you mean to write GND filter? I too see no reason why you would use an ND filter for a shot like this one.

Photography by Erin Babnik (external link) | Newsletter (external link) | Photo Cascadia Team Member (external link) | Facebook (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 09, 2011 19:53 as a reply to  @ Phrasikleia's post |  #4

My thoughts exactly...kinda scratching my head. Looking at the EXIF, the SS without a filter would have been 1/1250... If the OP was trying to blur the water, three stops is nowhere enough to do that (not to mention the boat motion to account for). If anything, a GND would have been more appropriate.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

travisjryan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 10, 2011 02:36 |  #5

ok so say I shot it @ 1/1250, how could I, or what could I use to make the sun pop a bit more or appear sharper without post processing?

I broke my Polarizer cheap-o piece of poo Tiffen filter so I ended up buying the ND filter. I like using a ND filter during the day here in Hawaii because I get a lot of opportunities to shoot those long exposures to blur the water and everything. I've shot similar sunsets without the ND but never got this type of result. Maybe it was just my crappy settings and/or experience with the subject. :D

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 10, 2011 06:37 |  #6

A graduated neutral-density filter (3 or 4-stop) would have enabled you to record a better exposure on the sun, allowing it to be more than just a burned-out blob on the shot. Graduated ND filters have only half the filter shaded, with the rest clear. Toning down the sky by a few stops in this shot would have made a world of difference, IMHO.

You could also have waited for the sun to set a little more, reducing its intensity, or recomposed with the sun out of the frame. I don't think the image is too warm. Sunsets should be warm, as the color temp of the light is low. A cool sunset wouldn't look natural.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 10, 2011 07:17 as a reply to  @ gibbit1's post |  #7

As stated earlier, a graduated ND filter (GND) would have served you better. Even if you had waited for the sun to drop below the horizon, the residual light still would have required the use of a GND filter. Under these lighting conditions (your image) a three-stop ND filter is nowhere near strong enough for you to blur the water. We're not knocking you...just letting you know that there are better tools out there that would be more fitting for the situation.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Ed ­ Harp
606 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 10, 2011 07:31 |  #8

Quite honestly, I thought you missed a great opportunity using the ND filter. Would have been pretty cool image to see a 2 sec plus exposure, hopefully the sale boat wouldn't be moving. As far as your color profile, it's not as much an issue since you mentioned the ND filter.

Canon 5D Classic, 30D, 50D, (all gripped) Ef 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 10-22mm, EF 17-40mm F/4 L, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, EF 300mm f/4 L IS, 1.4x ii TC, Canon 500D, Smith-Victor CF300 Carbon Fiber Tripod,BH5 ball head, Manfrotto Neotec Tripod, Manfrotto 322RC2 head

travisjryan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 12, 2011 12:08 |  #9

Sweet, I'll go pick up a GND filter and give it a try. Thanks guys.

veryfishy
40 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 05, 2011 20:18 as a reply to  @ travisjryan's post |  #10

What metering mode should I be using with a GND?

5D Mark III | EF 85mm f/1.2 L | EF 135mm f/2 L | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II

sponsored links

2,500 views & 0 likes for this thread
Waikiki Sunset w/ ND -8 Filter
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.