Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,381 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 09, 2011 02:56 |  #916

Mevunky wrote in post #11806758 (external link)
What camera? If you don't shoot sports then the speed doesn't matter as the camera buffer is usually good enough.

on the other hand, you have better things to do than wait while the shots are copied off the card onto your P.C....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links
tag141
Goldmember
3,233 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 09, 2011 04:02 |  #917

tag141 wrote in post #11767918 (external link)
A $800 return flight suddenly turned into a $1600 return flight presumably because they know the people aren't going to say no.

And today I found out the 'truth'. The person who bought the ticket booked business class. And also flew to Sydney and then back to Brisbane all business class. No wonder it cost an arm and a kidney.

Anyone know anything about washing machine errors?

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 09, 2011 04:56 |  #918

tag141 wrote in post #11806932 (external link)
And today I found out the 'truth'. The person who bought the ticket booked business class. And also flew to Sydney and then back to Brisbane all business class. No wonder it cost an arm and a kidney.

Depends on the error.
For example our washing machine drops about 1/2 its water on the ground, so I have interpreted that as having a rip in the rubber seal between the drum & door.
As for electronic errors, I have no idea.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 09, 2011 05:02 |  #919

tag141 wrote in post #11806932 (external link)

As in error messages in the lights and such? On a newfangled electronic machine? It's gonna be unbelievably machine-specific.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

Cyborg ­ Death ­ Ninja
217 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 09, 2011 11:18 |  #920

"Night Lights"

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

flickr (external link) • 5D • 16-35 f2.8L II
24-105 f4L IS • 70-200 f2.8L IS • 580EX II

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 10, 2011 00:26 |  #921

CF cards, I use transcend 266X and 300X, but not the others as they're lower quality. Sandisk are always a good bet.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

klippe
Goldmember
2,166 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 10, 2011 16:50 |  #922

Cyborg Death Ninja wrote in post #11808754 (external link)
"Night Lights"

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I like those.

The impossible has begun - another step closer - and I am very hungry for it.
http://www.motorsportm​edia.co.uk (external link)

Cyborg ­ Death ­ Ninja
217 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2011 00:59 |  #923

Thanks. Man it's quiet around these parts.

flickr (external link) • 5D • 16-35 f2.8L II
24-105 f4L IS • 70-200 f2.8L IS • 580EX II

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,890 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 11, 2011 02:15 as a reply to  @ Cyborg Death Ninja's post |  #924

Its shrimpers fault :)

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 11, 2011 02:19 |  #925

Exactly..
and SS
and that other bird ting..
You know.. the famous one that Shakira sang about.
Weka Weka!

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 11, 2011 02:25 |  #926

I flew back to the US today to visit my mother and attend a conference. Four legs, Christchurch to Auckland to San Francisco to Salt Lake City, Utah (because it's a hub) to my home town, Great Falls, Montana. I covered 90 degrees of latitude in under 26 hours--it would have been quicker if I'd reserved an earlier flight out of SF, but I wanted to leave wiggle room in case something went wrong.

Strange impressions from an American returning home after six months as a Kiwi:

• There are no Kiwi accents; people talk the way I talk. It sounded weird to my ears (but it was nice that I could understand them!--sorry, mates).
  • The money looks funny. Sorry, fellow Yanks, but Kiwi money is just better in every way--even though it looked a bit odd to me when I first arrived.
  • I expected the cold (it warmed up to 2 degress C today) but I wasn't prepared for the 5:40 PM sunset in the northern US.
  • I miss screw-top wine bottles. Like the money, they're better in every way.
  • The price you see isn't the price you pay. The business adds sales tax, then in restaurants and cabs you have to add a tip on top of that. I think it's all a scam to make the price look lower. Once again, I like the Kiwi way better.
  • I love the American approach to wifi. In lots of places, it's just plain free, no hassle, no worries. In the few places where you have to pay (mostly airports and pricey hotels) there's just a flat fee, with no bandwidth limit. As a heavy user, that makes a huge difference to me.
  • Some things are basically the same price, but to a first approximation nothing is more expensive here. My contact-lens solutions are US$11 (NZ$14.40) for a bottle that's NZ$29 in Christchurch. I'm going to come back with a big stock.
  • Driving on the other side of the road again isn't a problem. As a friend said recently, it seems to use a different part of your brain instead of rewiring the old part. Though I suppose it helps that I've spent decades learning to stay to the right...

So some pluses, some minuses. I'm glad to be in my comfort zone, but I already miss Christchurch.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 11, 2011 02:49 |  #927

Talking about contacts I use clearlycontacts.co.nz , prices are even better than the US store I used to use. CC are based in Canada, they ship here in 3-6 days.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 11, 2011 09:01 |  #928

gkuenning wrote in post #11820812 (external link)
  • Driving on the other side of the road again isn't a problem. As a friend said recently, it seems to use a different part of your brain instead of rewiring the old part. Though I suppose it helps that I've spent decades learning to stay to the right...

I came home for Xmas, and no problems when driving on the correct side of the road, it felt perfectly natural. When I came back to the US after NZ, it just felt weird for a couple of days. Given I had only been in NZ for 12 days, and lived in the US for almost 2 years now, was quite surprised at how quickly I had readjusted back to the left side of the right, that the right just felt wrong. About a week later - it was back to 'normal' to be on the right.

Still hate the tax/tip pricing in the states. I can understand the ads on tv not including tax, but the price on the shelf/menu should include it - as it's not like you can get out paying it.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

davethejnz
245 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 11, 2011 11:58 |  #929

tim wrote in post #11820853 (external link)
Talking about contacts I use clearlycontacts.co.nz , prices are even better than the US store I used to use. CC are based in Canada, they ship here in 3-6 days.

+1

great service at fantastic prices

Novice - So novice that I can learn from anyone even beginners
David

dgcorner
Goldmember
4,722 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 11, 2011 17:06 |  #930

gkuenning wrote in post #11820812 (external link)
I flew back to the US today to visit my mother and attend a conference. Four legs, Christchurch to Auckland to San Francisco to Salt Lake City, Utah (because it's a hub) to my home town, Great Falls, Montana. I covered 90 degrees of latitude in under 26 hours--it would have been quicker if I'd reserved an earlier flight out of SF, but I wanted to leave wiggle room in case something went wrong.

Strange impressions from an American returning home after six months as a Kiwi:
  • There are no Kiwi accents; people talk the way I talk. It sounded weird to my ears (but it was nice that I could understand them!--sorry, mates).
  • The money looks funny. Sorry, fellow Yanks, but Kiwi money is just better in every way--even though it looked a bit odd to me when I first arrived.
  • I expected the cold (it warmed up to 2 degress C today) but I wasn't prepared for the 5:40 PM sunset in the northern US.
  • I miss screw-top wine bottles. Like the money, they're better in every way.
  • The price you see isn't the price you pay. The business adds sales tax, then in restaurants and cabs you have to add a tip on top of that. I think it's all a scam to make the price look lower. Once again, I like the Kiwi way better.
  • I love the American approach to wifi. In lots of places, it's just plain free, no hassle, no worries. In the few places where you have to pay (mostly airports and pricey hotels) there's just a flat fee, with no bandwidth limit. As a heavy user, that makes a huge difference to me.
  • Some things are basically the same price, but to a first approximation nothing is more expensive here. My contact-lens solutions are US$11 (NZ$14.40) for a bottle that's NZ$29 in Christchurch. I'm going to come back with a big stock.

So some pluses, some minuses. I'm glad to be in my comfort zone, but I already miss Christchurch.

When there are 330+M of you guys versus 4.4M Kiwis economies of scale come to play in terms of pricing things.

I am just glad that there are on-line shops like Tim mentions, Amazon, eBay, etc... add to that the strong NZ dollar and I tend to get real bargains not or rarely found here. Then again, when your economy relies strongly on dairy exports and the like, a strong Kiwi dollar doesn't bode the economy well...

John;)

Believe... Work hard... and it will happen!

My Gear

sponsored links

1,980,470 views & 1,400 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.