Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 May 2010 (Thursday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata Bumblebee-222 Overview - Never a Backpack Guy Until Now

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 24, 2010 02:02 |  #61
bannedPermanent ban

vindiesel wrote in post #11337532 (external link)
Does a dslr+grip fit perfectly in the backpack?

Im not sure what you mean, but yes you can fit a gripped dslr with lens attached. You can arrange the dividers as you like. If you referring to the "personal stuff" compartment, yes it will and then some.

Regards
Paul L.

sponsored links
vindiesel
73 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 24, 2010 02:09 |  #62

What I meant is, if the bumblebee 222 is deep enough to carry a gripped dslr, so that you do not have problems closing the backpack.

Sony A7 + A7II | Zeiss Batis 25/2 | Zeiss 35/1.4 | Zeiss 55/1.8 | Zeiss 135/1.8
flickr (external link) | 5∞px (external link)

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 24, 2010 08:23 |  #63

The 222 is deep enough for a gripped DSLR. no issues closing it or opening. No binding or "humps" to get around.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 24, 2010 08:24 |  #64

Nederlander wrote in post #11332339 (external link)
Actually, it doesn't really bother me. I always use the straps when i am hiking/walking around with the backpack, since it is filled with gear + tripod, so the straps help for the weight distribution. The straps are not that bulky as other waist straps (for instance, my previous backpack, the lowerpro primus), so i hardly notice that the straps are there when i don't use them. Yes it would be nice if they were removable, but that would also lower the strength of the connection (and since it carries a lot of weight at that point). I hope this helps.

further to this, when i grab the bag and dont use the waist traps they natural fold in behind you. Moreover, the material is soft so you dont even notice them on your back.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 30, 2010 17:56 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

Just wanted to give an update on my purchase of the Kata 222.

Im very happy with the bag, its holds everything i wanted it to hold. It's light and quite comfortable.

The quality is good as most folks expect from Kata, it's however not as rugged and well padded as the R-10X series.

The seems and zippers are good, but dosent seem to be as rigid as the ones im used to on my Lowepro bags. Time will tell how they hold up.

Regards
Paul L.

vindiesel
73 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 02, 2010 17:00 |  #66

Hi,

I jst got my bumblebee backpack.
It is a really nice backpack with a lot of room for my stuff.
The only concern is that the shoulder straps feel quite uncomfortable. Do you guys have any problems with the rubber straps on your shoulder?

Sony A7 + A7II | Zeiss Batis 25/2 | Zeiss 35/1.4 | Zeiss 55/1.8 | Zeiss 135/1.8
flickr (external link) | 5∞px (external link)

Nederlander
53 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 02, 2010 17:05 |  #67

vindiesel wrote in post #11384626 (external link)
Hi,

I jst got my bumblebee backpack.
It is a really nice backpack with a lot of room for my stuff.
The only concern is that the shoulder straps feel quite uncomfortable. Do you guys have any problems with the rubber straps on your shoulder?

Congrats on buying the backpack. Good to hear that it fits your needs. The rubber is something to get used to (since it "grips" more then other straps), but i haven't had any problems with it. Yes it is not as padded as other straps, but i feel that once you position the straps well (adjust them here and there) they don't cause any discomfort.

Gear: Canon EOS 7D x2 / EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM / EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS mkII / EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro / Canon Speedlite 580 exII
Bags: Kata Bumblebee UL-222 / F-stop Loka
www.jv-fotografie.smugmug.com (external link)

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 03, 2010 08:30 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

I haven't noticed any problems with it, i fact i find them quite comfortable and in conjunction with the waist strap i find the bag to balance the load very well.

Regards
Paul L.

bishop
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 02, 2011 20:12 |  #69

Just a quick question on the bag.
How much padding is on the bottom of the bag?
i.e. the area where the LCD of the body is facing? Is there enough padding to allow the backpack the be put down on the ground without smashing the LCD?

In the middle section where you have the body+70-200 f2.8 lens, what happens if you want to use a different lens? Where does the 70-200 go? Does it fit in one of the "other" lens slots?

glhs509
Goldmember
3,914 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 03, 2011 09:46 |  #70

bishop wrote in post #11766363 (external link)
i.e. the area where the LCD of the body is facing? Is there enough padding to allow the backpack the be put down on the ground without smashing the LCD?

In the middle section where you have the body+70-200 f2.8 lens, what happens if you want to use a different lens? Where does the 70-200 go? Does it fit in one of the "other" lens slots?

The same padding you see to the outside of the Speedlite (in the OP's photo)...I never think twice about the LCD protection. I do worry about the eyecup, which is tight against the zipped panel when the laptop is in place).

Lenses can be placed in any of the other 'slots' which are configurable as you see fit (i.e. the dividers can be spaced further, to allow a longer lens to lay flat instead of up).

~Ken
Canon 1Dx, 1DMkIII, a backpack full of L and non L glass, a couple of Speedlites, and a Giottos Rocket Blower!

Echoherbie
58 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 03, 2011 21:32 |  #71

Will the bottom camera compartment hold the following gears :

1. 5DII Grip with 24-104 attached
2. 7D with 100-400 attached
3. 100mm macro lens
4. 580 Speedlite

Thanks.

fensterbme
THREAD ­ STARTER
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 11, 2011 09:23 |  #72

Wow... a decent amount of chatter on this thread since I've last checked in...

Plenty... would be a pretty piss-poor design if it didn't?

Kind of surprised how much folks sweat their gear getting damaged. People you can get pretty rough with your gear without having it break, not saying one should abuse their gear but there is no need to treat it like it's super delicate.

You can move things around in there it's not like the velcro attached padded dividers are permanently attached, hence the 'velcro'. That said look at the photos, pragmatically where else are you really going to put it that makes it a better choice? The reason most folks show the 70-200mm attached to the body in almost all camera backpack reviews (not just this one) is that it's just practically where it fits best.

Me, my 70-200mm sits on it's own body (a crop factor, while I normally shoot full frame) in the backpack and I pull it out and shoot the camera/lens when I need the longer reach. I keep my main camera body outside the camera as it's just not practical to quickly whip the camera out when I want to capture something.

Echoherbie wrote in post #11773157 (external link)
Will the bottom camera compartment hold the following gears :

1. 5DII Grip with 24-104 attached
2. 7D with 100-400 attached
3. 100mm macro lens
4. 580 Speedlite

Thanks.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but from the photos I provided in the initial discussion thread and the video link I attached would give you the idea that that you could fit those components in?

The answer is no it can't... I don't think your going to find many backpacks that could carry two bodies with lenses attached, and if you did they would be far to large to make practical to shoulder.

Case in point the Kata BP-502 (external link) backpack which is really designed for video rigs, medium format and large tele lens accommodation could technically fit two camera's gripped and mounted with lenses, but the backpack is so big and bulky that it's not really practical to use unless you use the roller wheel insert and drag it along. I owned the BP-502 for a weekend, realized it was too big to be practical and sold it.

Again I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, but I thought from the photos it was pretty self explanatory that two camera bodies with lenses mounted would not really fit into the lower portion of the Kata 222 backpack.

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

sexyyoyi
138 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 08, 2011 02:21 |  #73

Hi guys,

Im was thinking about the Kata Source 261PL, but now, I've found a good 2nd hand of PL 220 that is selling at 65% of its full price, so Im planning to go for it.

But the post below is making me worried about the durability of this bag, especially the Cam's LCD is facing downward to the ground. Does anyone share the same problem of this bag being:

"stitching on the outside neoprene strechy pockets has come undone and is dangling in a few places."

Is it easy to access lense from this bag for lense change?

I notice that Kata Source PL261 will be perfect for changing lense on the fly since it has its own opening compartment without opening the whole bag itself.

Thx!

fensterbme wrote in post #11196559 (external link)
Update Not Everything is Perfect: I'm traveling and so I don't have time to take snapshots and do an in-depth update... but I will say this, overall the bag has been fantastic but it has issues. The material isn't nearly as resistant to getting discolored or stained as the heavier older material that Kata used to use... I have a number of unsightly marks on mine and I've been pretty delicate with mine and it's never been 'checked' by airline luggage it always goes overhead or on my person. Furthermore some of the stitching on the outside neoprene strechy pockets has come undone and is dangling in a few places.

I haven't reached out to Kata to complain, but I'm going too... I've just been too busy working, travelling and shooting to have time to sit down and craft a communication to the company. Something designed and priced like it is should be durable and look pretty good even after some pretty decent use... but it doesn't seem to be that way. In my book it's a pretty serious blemish on an otherwise fantastic backpack, the best designed one I've ever seen or used.

Completely different bags... The Bigger Brother isn't really... yes it holds more camera gear, but it lacks the actual frame that is one of the biggest things the UL-222 has going for it. So essentially their idea is you pack more gear and weight into a similar sized bag that's been rearranged to be a camera only bag and at the same time they strip out the parts of the backpack that making carrying a good bit of weight actually possible without having to see a doctor afterwards.

So as noted above... the PL bag is clearly designed to carry the gear for brief stints and isn't made for serious travel or use on someone's back. But it's not something I'd like to carry around for any real amount of time.

My $.02 is that if your carrying gear to/from a shoot and just need a bag to function as a gear base camp type of thing, get a Pelican hard case, holds more gear more security and does it for less money than the Kata backpack.

If your someone who takes trips or is an urban traveler that hikes a good bit with the weight on your back it's the UL-222 all the way.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can...

I think you have some assumptions that aren't entirely correct. Where I have my 580EX's in the photo I can easily fit two flashes in that section and can probably fit three in there if I had too... So you could fit a single 580EX and a 350D in the space, doesn't have to be one or the other...

I also think your too paranoid... keeping the speedlite in it's case is silly, IMO. The flash is pretty darn durable and I'm not sure how on earth it would get broken inside the backpack, hell outside of forcibly throwing a flash on the ground or off of something I can't see one breaking. I've dropped mine dozens of times, the only time they have broken is when they were attached to a hot shoe and the camera got dropped and snapped the plastic piece that holds the little screws in for the base.

But yes there is plenty of protection in the top part of the case IMO, but since there isn't a divider up there if the space was otherwise empty it's possible enough motion could happen to give it a bit more shock. Tightly packed gear is the safest as it can't move much inside... this even holds true for all my Pelican cases, keep them packed nice and tight.

fensterbme
THREAD ­ STARTER
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 29, 2012 21:00 |  #74

Just wanted to chime in and say that my initial review of this Kata Bumblebee 222 was from one of the first batch of bags that was sent out from the factory. A lot of these bags went to the media and were used to review, etc. anyways one of the main complaints of the bag was that the lower compartment wasn't completely covered meaning that outside of the lens compartment things could fall out... it's something that I didn't particularly like but I don't normally change out gear while wearing my backpack.

Fast forward almost two years, and I was out at the WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International) convention in Las Vegas and was talking to some of the Manfrotto group folks, and I brought up how the Kata 222 bags they were showing off looked different than mine. They were surprised that I had one of the first batch as evidentially not too many of those bags made it out on the open market, and offered to replace my bag.

When I get a chance I'll post a bit more in depth post, once I get a chance to look through the new bag. I was super happy to see Manfrotto/Kata take care of me two years down the road... a quality move from a quality company.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7049/6942564233_ffb10ac007.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/6942​564233/  (external link)
New Backpack... (external link) by fensterbme (external link), on Flickr

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

elicious
130 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 02, 2012 02:37 |  #75

That is an impressive customer service action...2 years after purchase! :)

5D3 | 24-105L

sponsored links

31,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata Bumblebee-222 Overview - Never a Backpack Guy Until Now
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.