Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Are you satisfied with the AF of the 5D MK II"
Owner - Yes
42.5%
Owner - Neutral
20.5%
Owner - No
15.7%
non-Owner - Yes
5.7%
non-Owner - Neutral
8.8%
non-Owner - No
6.8%

351 voters, 351 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 14, 2011 11:16 |  #31

I use center focus 100% of the time then recompose, and I love it.

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 14, 2011 11:19 |  #32

i've been having an issue with one AF point in particular (bottom, right AF point) that has a lot of trouble looking on in perfect lighting conditions with any lens including the 135L which has one of the quickest AF out there. I need to send it in to Canon before the next wedding because it's a killer for when I'm trying to compose portrait shots and focus on the head and to the right of the frame. Other than that though, it hasn't been that bad. I will upgrade to the mkiii when it comes out if they give it anything close to the 7D AF because that and 1080p at 60 fps are my only complaints.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 14, 2011 11:22 |  #33

V-Wiz wrote in post #11840967 (external link)
I use center focus 100% of the time...

An interesting poll would be to see what percentage of users of bodies with more advanced AF systems (1D, 7D, any Nikon) limit themselves to one point. It always seemed rather silly to me that almost all Canon users with the 9 point AF systems turn 8 of them off. This really speaks volumes, doesn't it? I mean it's like buying a car and saying "I'm only going to drive on one tire because the rest are so crappy that I can no longer drive if I use all 4"

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 14, 2011 11:27 as a reply to  @ post 11840775 |  #34

It will be interesting to see the final result of this poll. Currently it's showing that most owners are either happy or neutral and most non-owners are neutral. Let's hope that Canon's not paying too much attention when it comes to the 5Diii !

For me, the AF is adequate. The centre point is fine for most things. The outer points are not good in poor light. Servo mode is not as good as the 7D (or even the 40D) for fast moving stuff. However, the focus accuracy is good (or it is for me) when I use the centre point only.

I have no experience of the 1D, but I assume that is the bee's knees!

Paul

Trevor04GT
721 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2011 11:32 as a reply to  @ paulkaye's post |  #35

Coming from a nikon d300, this AF system is a joke. I never had the problems locking a subject on the nikon bodies as i do on the 5d2. My nikon d80 was better than the 5d2.

Trevor - Canon 6D Mark 2 / Canon 28mm 1.8 USM / Canon 35mm 1.4L / Canon 50mm 1.4 USM / Canon 135mm F2L

mitsu13gman
265 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 14, 2011 11:38 as a reply to  @ paulkaye's post |  #36

I'm an owner, and I'm perfectly happy with the AF.

Besides the D700, what other full-frame camera in the sub-$4k range has a markedly better AF system than the 5D2?

It's pretty obvious to me that Nikon went with the only full-frame capable AF system they had on the shelf to field the D700 and try to compete with Canon. Given that Nikon's latest full-frame sensor stuck to the 12MP level, I don't expect the D800 (or whatever it might be called) to match even the 5D2's resolution.

And truly, the only two things Nikon has over Canon are the D700's AF system and their SpeedLight system. Apart from that, Canon matches or beats them across the board.

And seriously, the AF system in the 5D2 is amazingly quick, even in low light. Having 42 more AF points would not suddenly increase the utility of the camera for me enough to justify an upgrade at this point.

Mike - "EXIF stripping is bad, mmmkay?"
My Gear
My Site (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 14, 2011 11:39 |  #37

I'm happy insofar as I bought the camera with my eyes wide open on the subject of AF and I have a 1D3 and 7D for occasions with more demanding AF needs. As it is I find the centre point to be excellent for action shooting, including BIF, and I have only been let down once by an outer AF point, when trying for an indoor candid shot against a very bright backlit sky.

The 5D2 is my "go to" camera unless I know that AF, frame rate or weatherproofing will let me down, or that I'll be so focal length limited that the 5D2 will offer no useful IQ advantage. More often than not it's that last point which makes me pick a different camera.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 14, 2011 11:42 |  #38

voted owner neutral. After owning a D700 for a year and a 7D for 6 months it's impossible to say I'm satisfied with it 100%, but it is good enough for what I need... barely.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

swidjaja
395 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 14, 2011 11:45 |  #39

Owner voting neutral. There're times I wished I could use (or trust) the outer points to compose, especially with fast primes.

6D + enough lenses for now.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 14, 2011 12:10 |  #40

I voted neutral. I'm not unhappy with it, but the peripheral AF points are limiting, as is the lack of flexibility. The 7D's system is much better.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 14, 2011 12:31 |  #41

gjl711 wrote in post #11841010 (external link)
An interesting poll would be to see what percentage of users of bodies with more advanced AF systems (1D, 7D, any Nikon) limit themselves to one point. It always seemed rather silly to me that almost all Canon users with the 9 point AF systems turn 8 of them off. This really speaks volumes, doesn't it? I mean it's like buying a car and saying "I'm only going to drive on one tire because the rest are so crappy that I can no longer drive if I use all 4"

I use it because its the fastest and most accurate, there is no guessing when i want to focus especially in low light. It just works for me very well. This way i have control of where i want the most focus (when using wide apertures)

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 14, 2011 12:38 |  #42

gjl711 wrote in post #11840714 (external link)
I'm a 5D owner and a 5DII owner. I love the camera and the MkII is my goto body, but the one thing I do not like about the camera is the AF. It is adequate but no where near as fast and accurate at my 7D. It is the one weakness this body has. If it were not for the stellar IQ, I think this body would have been a bust. Canon needs to look to it's nearest competitor and wise up.

+1.

Gear List

Michael

DetlevCM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 14, 2011 12:41 |  #43

JeffreyG wrote in post #11840886 (external link)
Why are we discussing rangefinders? Canon doesn't even make a rangefinder.

Ups... meant the S2... duh...

Edit:

I think so far the poll speaks for itself. - there is an overwhelming amount of positive responses, yes, some feel it's inadequate, but still - let's see where this goes.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 14, 2011 12:47 |  #44

I have used the 5D2 several times and find the AF adequate. It's definitely better than any Rebel and is on par to the xxD line IMO. I prefer the AF of my 7D and think it would be killer if Canon put that system in a 5D.

The 7D's AF is not rocket science either.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

quattroatl
382 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 14, 2011 12:50 |  #45

Bottom line... people satisfied with the 5D2 AF probably have not tried the 7D with its far superior AF system.

Owners who have both the 5D2 and 7D know without a doubt how the 7D AF system is far superior in every way to the 5D2 AF system. If they think otherwise, then they have no clue how to use the 7D to its fullest capability.

5DII | 7D | 40D | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4L IS |100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II

sponsored links

15,145 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.