Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Are you satisfied with the AF of the 5D MK II"
Owner - Yes
42.5%
Owner - Neutral
20.5%
Owner - No
15.7%
non-Owner - Yes
5.7%
non-Owner - Neutral
8.8%
non-Owner - No
6.8%

351 voters, 351 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 14, 2011 13:21 |  #46

quattroatl wrote in post #11841546 (external link)
Bottom line... people satisfied with the 5D2 AF probably have not tried the 7D with its far superior AF system.

Owners who have both the 5D2 and 7D know without a doubt how the 7D AF system is far superior in every way to the 5D2 AF system. If they think otherwise, then they have no clue how to use the 7D to its fullest capability.

Ehhh, whatever. I know the 7D's AF is fancier, has more points, more options, etc. MY bottom line is I need an AF system that is accurate and gives consistent results. For me, it's the results, not the hype.

In use, I find that my 7D gives inconsistent results particularly using the outer AF points with fast lenses. I can use Spot AF and put an outer AF point right on someones eye, get focus confirmation, and get an OOF shot. However, if I take a few of the same shots and refocus in between them, I usually get some that are in focus. Inconsistent. Now, I know that the 5D's outer points are limited, but considering how advanced the 7D's AF system is, I would expect it to perform better than I have found it to.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links
Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 14, 2011 14:35 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #47

I just thought of something I don't like about it. I do wish I could turn the AF point markers off but would not be willing to give up easy user changable focus screens for that. The center one is a distraction in a microprism dot screen and makes a split screen nearly unusable. I am not sure if that qualifies as a complaint against the AF system though.

cmosman
456 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 14, 2011 15:36 as a reply to  @ post 11840775 |  #48

Has done everything I have asked it to, and produced excellent photos.:D

Cameras & Lens all due to my kind wife :D

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 14, 2011 15:50 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

V-Wiz wrote in post #11840967 (external link)
I use center focus 100% of the time then recompose, and I love it.

Not with 1.4 lens. I tried using the 35 and 50 1.4 lens for events and gave up on the 5DII focusing abilities ( or should I say inabilities ). Changed over to manual focus and all is well now. In fact, I enjoy manual focus...leaves me with more time looking at the composition rather than ensuring the little red square is overtop what I want in focus.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 14, 2011 15:55 |  #50
bannedPermanent ban

mitsu13gman wrote in post #11841131 (external link)
I'm an owner, and I'm perfectly happy with the AF.

Besides the D700, what other full-frame camera in the sub-$4k range has a markedly better AF system than the 5D2?

It's pretty obvious to me that Nikon went with the only full-frame capable AF system they had on the shelf to field the D700 and try to compete with Canon. Given that Nikon's latest full-frame sensor stuck to the 12MP level, I don't expect the D800 (or whatever it might be called) to match even the 5D2's resolution.

And truly, the only two things Nikon has over Canon are the D700's AF system and their SpeedLight system. Apart from that, Canon matches or beats them across the board.

And seriously, the AF system in the 5D2 is amazingly quick, even in low light. Having 42 more AF points would not suddenly increase the utility of the camera for me enough to justify an upgrade at this point.

You obviously either use the center and recompose which takes time resulting in lost shots or you don't use fast lens. Having only 1 usable focus point for low light event work is extremely limiting...especially when we are talking about a camera aimed at the semipro / pro markets.

kjj512
471 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 14, 2011 16:19 |  #51

Hogloff wrote in post #11842789 (external link)
Not with 1.4 lens. I tried using the 35 and 50 1.4 lens for events and gave up on the 5DII focusing abilities ( or should I say inabilities ). Changed over to manual focus and all is well now. In fact, I enjoy manual focus...leaves me with more time looking at the composition rather than ensuring the little red square is overtop what I want in focus.

Completely agree. I began taking pictures with an AE-1 and never got over how good it was to manual focus. I just got a CZ Sonnar*T 135 f2.8 Contax mount and using an actual manual focus lens is a dream. I don't think I actually used the AF on my Tamron for more than a shot or two in the past 3 months. I love the ability to compose the shot while I focus and when it comes down to it, it's probably quicker to compose and manually focus then to either use the center point and recompose or try and get the camera to pick the right outer point or pick it for the camera.

I have used the 7D before and yeah I am impressed but for me it's not something I need in a camera. I actually find it more limiting to my photography than anything else.

... maybe I'm just a purist but AF is not a necessary part of the camera. Enjoy the convenience if you like it but in my ears this sounds like people complaining about how auto exposure mode is better on some cameras than others.

Kevin
flickr (external link) | vimeo (external link)
5D MKii | Contax CZ 135mm f/2.8 Sonnar*T | Contax CZ 50mm f/1.4 Planar*T | CZ Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 | Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8
AE-1 and a bunch of fd lenses

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 14, 2011 18:11 |  #52

In use, I find that my 7D gives inconsistent results particularly using the outer AF points with fast lenses. I can use Spot AF and put an outer AF point right on someones eye, get focus confirmation, and get an OOF shot. However, if I take a few of the same shots and refocus in between them, I usually get some that are in focus.

Uh-oh. I just boxed up my new 7D for an exchange because I concluded this was abnormal behavior vs what can be expected from this system. If I'm returning a good one, I hope I don't get a lemon...Here's my thread on it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=998270

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 14, 2011 18:57 |  #53

JeffreyG wrote in post #11840802 (external link)
Yes, it is.

I don't know why people defend the AF system of the 5D2 so passionately. The AF system of the 5D2 is essentially the same as the 5D, which (with the exception of the 6 helper servo points) is about the same as the 20D.

The 60D has a better AF system than any of these dinosaurs.

Canon has a long history of very carefully parsing out various features to their various camera levels. In general, this is smart marketing. If you want somebody to spend $8000 for a 1Ds Mark III you need to give them a reason to pay that much more over a 5D Mark II right?

I just think they got caught a little by surprise. Canon was so used to eating Nikon's 1.5X CCD based lunch that they didn't really didn't see Nikon's level busting strategy coming.

The slow (3 year) cycle of these higher end cameras is why this remains unaddressed. You can see Canon's response to Nikon in the 7D, with more to come no doubt.

This is epic bw! and all one needs to read on the subject

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 14, 2011 18:59 |  #54

I think one can describe the 5D2's AF as "usable" for most applications. The centre point is usable and generally does the job (with a few exceptions e.g. in very low light when it can't lock on)

The outer points are next to useless

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

FStop7
76 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2011 19:41 |  #55

Owner, put around 6,000 shots on mine, and I am very satisfied with the AF for the purposes of landscape, portrait, or tracking slower moving subjects (people walking at a normal pace, for example).

I am moderately satisfied with the AF performance when shooting high speed (motorsports). I say moderately because I went in not expecting it to work at all, and instead I have a 40-50% keeper ratio. So that's a nice surprise. That said, I would never rely on my 5D2 if action photography was putting bread on my table. A 50/50 chance of catching a shot is not good enough. But as a hobbyist, it's not bad.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 14, 2011 19:57 |  #56

ppmax wrote in post #11843713 (external link)
Uh-oh. I just boxed up my new 7D for an exchange because I concluded this was abnormal behavior vs what can be expected from this system. If I'm returning a good one, I hope I don't get a lemon...Here's my thread on it
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=998270

My 7D AF system is consistent day in and day out.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 14, 2011 20:16 |  #57

Staszek wrote in post #11844304 (external link)
My 7D AF system is consistent day in and day out.

Mine must be a piece of **** then :lol:

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 14, 2011 20:33 |  #58

My 7D performs very well and its AF is consistent without problem. I use all points including outerpoints.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 14, 2011 22:30 |  #59

Center point is pretty acceptable. Peripheral points are okay. I miss the speed of the 1-series AF though.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 14, 2011 22:36 |  #60

I have a 5d classic and it is what it is. I wouldn't care if it was any better or worse if I bought a 5d2, it's just part of that family of cameras and you learn to work with it.

Don't shoot field sports and you probably won't have a problem.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

15,024 views & 1 like for this thread
EOS 5D MK II - AF - let's try to clear this up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.