Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

sangyup
135 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 13, 2011 07:49 |  #1786

dog rocket wrote in post #11825111 (external link)
Patient: doctor it hurts when I do *this*
Doctor: don't do *that*

Seriously, you can't fault a design when you are tugging in places it was not meant to be tugged and has no bearing on how it performs the intended purpose. If you plan to carry around your tripod and camera by the Q3T knob, then I think you ought to find another ballhead. ;)

Well, I just mentioned picking it up by the knob because that's how I first noticed it. You can make it happen just by using it the normal way. I'll just put it this way, since markins is comparable to a "L" lens in the ballhead world, if I were to have a "L" lens where the zoom ring had front to back play of 1-2mm and also had some play before the zoom engaged this would not be acceptable especially when the competition has no play in either direction as the bh-55 doesn't exhibit this. I just wanted to bring it up so others like myself will know what to expect. I've always heard that markins and rrs were the best you can buy in both function and quality. I agree for the most part but the markins falls short slightly due to the play. They are both great companies that make great products and in the case of the 1541T, the markins fit the best so that's why I chose it over rrs.

peter_n wrote in post #11825358 (external link)
Don't worry about it. There is both back & forth "looseness" and a very slight of lateral play in the ball locking knob. Markins reassured me about the back and forth looseness, and at least one other person here got in touch with them about the 1mm or so lateral play and was told that it is normal, I read the post in this thread fairly recently. So your ballhead is OK... :)

peter_n, thank you for putting me at ease about my ballhead. I'm glad it's not defective even though I would have liked no play at all. Anyway, the q3t is still an excellent ballhead and I can't wait to go out and use it in the field.

Sean
Fuji X100S | Nikon D500 | Nikon D800 | Nikon D300 w/MB-D10 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | 17-55 f/2.8DX | 20 f/1.8G | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/1.8DX | 50 f/1.8D | 85 1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8VRII | 70-210 f/4 | 70-300VR | 105VR | 105 1.4E | 200-500 f/5.6E | SB-800 | YN 560III x 2 | Gitzo 3541LS w/ RRS BH-55 | Gitzo 1541T w/ Markins Q3TRED

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2011 10:16 |  #1787

You know I didn't even notice the back & forth play on my first Q3T until I read about it here. I have two of these ballheads, both have it but the first one I bought doesn't have any lateral play and the more recent purchase does. I didn't notice that either until the post here. I guess I'm just sleepy...

Just so that you know, the panning lock on these heads doesn't really lock unless you screw it in very very tight. It's designed to be a brake as distinct from a lock, at least that's what Markins says. ;)

~Peter

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 13, 2011 10:32 |  #1788

Sorry, my friend, I'm a freelance product designer for a living and your post tickled me. I just had to give you a little ribbing. I haven't inspected the Q3T, but that 'play' you speak of may be necessary for the ballhead to function to it's acclaim which is pretty high around here. I do understand you concern, however. I've got one coming myself and will report back with my impressions on it as well.

Randy...

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 13, 2011 11:04 |  #1789

Yah, I read a very convoluted post somewhere that purported to explain that the play was either a side-effect of the smoothness of the ball movement or was part of the design that created that smoothness. I really didn't understand the post but I can say after nine months of using the Q3T that it's been totally reliable and a pleasure to use. And that's what counts for me! :)

~Peter

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2011 12:32 |  #1790

sangyup wrote in post #11825035 (external link)
The first thing I noticed was the main knob. I lifted the ballhead by the main knob and I felt the knob pull away from the body which kind of freaked me out. Now I'm talking about 1-2mm but the fact that the main knob pulls out 1-2mm with a visible gap worries me. The main knob also has some play when I turn it to loosen or lock it before it actually starts to loosen or lock it.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really curious about the play in the main knob that I described above and if mine is the only one that has it. I don't remember seeing/reading about that in all the reviews that I've read online. I also got the case logic case but it didn't fit well so I'll post some pictures showing this for other people.

The two Q3T heads I have owned both did the same thing. Dont worry, the play never got worse nor did it ever negatively affect any functionality of the heads.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

dark_elf
353 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 13, 2011 22:57 |  #1791

ben_r_ wrote in post #11821699 (external link)
Hmmmm, Ill have to check mine and see if there are. Other than the Gitzo logo piece on the side, I have never looked for any others.

if it is a knock-off then it's a very good one... so far i have not found anything wrong with it and it looks just like the one you have on the photos in the review... solidly built and with good amount of padding...

i cannot comment on everything from Vanbar.com.au but i have bought a few different items from them and never had an issue...

Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 15, 2011 08:25 as a reply to  @ dark_elf's post |  #1792

Ben, as with all of your reviews, this one is really phenomenal.
Thanks for the effort you put into these and for the fabulous information. I bookmark these and refer back to them frequently. bw!

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 15, 2011 10:25 |  #1793

b.d.bop wrote in post #11846884 (external link)
Ben, as with all of your reviews, this one is really phenomenal.
Thanks for the effort you put into these and for the fabulous information. I bookmark these and refer back to them frequently. bw!

Thank you Mark, that really means a lot!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,576 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 17, 2011 20:05 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #1794

So I finally got all my 1541T, Q3T and CaseLogic case.

The first shot is with the legs folded normally (not up over the head). As you can see it's too long that way. I couldn't zip up the top.

The second shot is with the legs folded up over the head. Too short and too narrow. It would rattle around up and down and side to side.

The BH-30 is a bit shorter than the Q3T, so you may have better luck with that head (the picture in the OP seems to suggest that). However, I would not recommend the case with this setup.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

Pat ­ B
56 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 19, 2011 09:26 |  #1795

Is it normal for the 1541T's mounting plate to have a little back and forth movement? The column doesn't move just the plate the ballhead sits on. It is even more noticeable when the camera is mounted.

Gear List

Adam ­ Jones
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 19, 2011 09:58 |  #1796

Pat B wrote in post #11873103 (external link)
Is it normal for the 1541T's mounting plate to have a little back and forth movement? The column doesn't move just the plate the ballhead sits on. It is even more noticeable when the camera is mounted.

The mounting plate is designed to be unscrewed, so it might be loose. Try tightening it. Otherwise, no...not normal!

Anthony | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | www.purplecollarphoto.​com (external link)

Pat ­ B
56 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 19, 2011 10:24 as a reply to  @ Adam Jones's post |  #1797

I took the plate off and checked the screw and all is tight. The plate and the round cuff under the plate both move about 1/4". It's not a loose movement but is moveable.

Gear List

Jaybrams
33 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 21, 2011 15:26 |  #1798

Ben and everyone, thanks for your help and a weekend spent reading this thread. I have a couple of comments. I bought the 1541t from Amazon and have ordered the Markins 3qt. I also have a Kirk BH-3 which I use on a Manfrotto 055cxpro3 with a 400/5.6 for bird photography. Before ordering the Markins, I looked into the RRS BH-30. RRS told me my Kirk plates would NOT work with the lever clamp and I would need a screw clamp. Sort of defeats the purpose of getting an RRS. I then called Markins who told me that their head has the adjustment screw which would allow all my Kirk plates to work just fine. So, thats the route I went. It seems with Markins if you take free shipping, its a ten day wait to receive it. For faster shipping, the cost was at least $27! So wait I will.

In the meantime, I tried out the 1541t with the Kirk head, and the head just can't get a tight fit on the tripod. It constantly unscrews when I turn the head on the panning base. The whole head turns on the mounting screw. I sure hope its different with the Markins when it arrives. I asked about whether to get a screwclamp and Markins was insistent that I would like the lever just fine.

Finally, sorry to hear of difficulties with Kirk service. I have had nothing but good experiences with them. The people at Kirk have always been knowledgable when I call, and are always helpful. I have used a snap collar on my BH-3 since I bought it, and love the stability it gives to the head in storage and when carrying it on a shoot.

5Dii, 7D, SL1, and a bunch of lenses.

rishu_pepper
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 21, 2011 16:12 |  #1799

thenextguy wrote in post #11864518 (external link)
So I finally got all my 1541T, Q3T and CaseLogic case.

The first shot is with the legs folded normally (not up over the head). As you can see it's too long that way. I couldn't zip up the top.

The second shot is with the legs folded up over the head. Too short and too narrow. It would rattle around up and down and side to side.

The BH-30 is a bit shorter than the Q3T, so you may have better luck with that head (the picture in the OP seems to suggest that). However, I would not recommend the case with this setup.

Sucks to hear that the CaseLogic is rattling around for you... would have liked to pick one up for my setup as well.

Anyone else have an alternative for the 1541t + Q3t with regards to a bag? I like to sling it across my back if possible.

~My SmugMug~ (external link)
~Gear List and Feedback~

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2011 16:26 |  #1800

rishu_pepper wrote in post #11886875 (external link)
Sucks to hear that the CaseLogic is rattling around for you... would have liked to pick one up for my setup as well.

Anyone else have an alternative for the 1541t + Q3t with regards to a bag? I like to sling it across my back if possible.

Why not get the one I got from Vanbar? LINK (external link)

sponsored links

686,208 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.