Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 15 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally got a .com of my own

emperorevo86
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 15, 2011 13:15 |  #1

Hey gang, I finally got my own .com, never had one. So please check it out, and let me know what you think. It's a work in progress, so any sugestion would be appriciated. Thanx guys

http://halfalemonphoto​graphy.com (external link)

~ Burin Photography ~ (external link)Amazon feedback, (external link) Buyer feedback 1, Feedback 2,Feedback 3,Feedback 4, Feedback 5

sponsored links
pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 15, 2011 14:01 |  #2

It is extremely slow to download...

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

emperorevo86
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 15, 2011 14:24 |  #3

Wow, what kind of connection do you have? Works fine everywhere else I used. What part of the site are you referring too?

~ Burin Photography ~ (external link)Amazon feedback, (external link) Buyer feedback 1, Feedback 2,Feedback 3,Feedback 4, Feedback 5

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2011 14:27 |  #4

You might not want so many images on your landing page.

It will slow everything down.

Put your best shot or two on there and then create categories/slideshows etc for the others. That would be my advice.

Mark :-)

"The general rule for flash photography is that you want the flash to go off while the shutter is open" (Titus213)

sandro9mm
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 15, 2011 14:42 |  #5

its slow, check: http://tools.pingdom.c​om …order=1&type=0&​save=false (external link)

you might want to optimize homepage for loading, check with pingdom often, you want to be in 2-3 sec range otherwise people will just run away.

Photography Tips (external link) - Learn photography now!
Famous photographers (external link) - Video Interviews, photos, biography
My gear (external link)

Grumbledook
326 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 16, 2011 11:43 |  #6

it is really slow here as well

I also couldn't work out what the domain was until I went to the site, though it was half ale mon photography and was a bit WTF is that. I think halflemonphotography would have been better.

otherwise I like the design, though that recent visitors box in the sidebar looks out of place design wise

emperorevo86
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 16, 2011 14:32 |  #7

Ok, looks like I'll have to reduce the size of the images about 50%. It's half a lemon photography. Not half ale mon photography. Originally I was going to name it Lemphoto.com, but someone took that already. I might go for blphoto.com we'll see if that's been taken already.

Boonbot
25 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 16, 2011 14:57 |  #8

It seems most of your images are at a larger resolution than they show on the screen. (Because you scale them using HTML.) For my page I made a script that automatically makes a smaller version of my images when I upload them, so that the image file is actually only as big as it's shown, thereby saving a lot of bandwidth. You can't see the difference anyway unless you download the photos.

Canon EOS 50D & Tamron SP 17-50mm F/2.8
My blog and photo album (external link)

dix
34 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 16, 2011 21:31 |  #9

Slowwwwww for me here too. The photos on the first page ~10k each which is pretty large for that size (as noted before they are being resized in html which is a no no), reducing the file size and image size will speed up loading (since you have 25+ images plus other stuff you are at 1/4 of a MB which is huge). Popup images are huge as well, for that size they shouldnt be ~150kb each. Look at resizing to the proper display size versus resizing in HTML as noted above, also, when exporting to jpg choose something less than 100% quality - Ive never seen the difference between 90% and 100% at web resolutions though the filesize is significantly different.

Photo on the about me page doesnt show. I am not an English teacher but 'My Gears' isnt really gramatically correct. 'My Gears' page has 'Gears' as a title, I think it should match the navigation text. Also, do we really need a gear page?

I like the theme though and the pics are nice and I like the lightbox more than flash.

Note, surfed through it again and it seems faster and more responsive (maybe a shared server that was oversold?) - my previous suggestions still apply though.

emperorevo86
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 17, 2011 00:31 |  #10

- So I did a reduction in size from 100% - 60% in most jpeg images.
- Photo on about me page still need to upload again, I forgot about that page.
- My Gears, you're right that need to be fix
- Gear page - It's a reference page, made for visitor who are a beginner or just curious what tools I used to capture those images.

Thanx for letting me know of the problems.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 17, 2011 02:48 |  #11

I noticed it was a 'bit' slow but it wasn't too bad. My nitpick is the lemon in your logo is green and not yellow. I like the creativeness of the logo though!

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links

1,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally got a .com of my own
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.