Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rate the Photo Above You

whoty
Goldmember
2,070 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2011 01:35 |  #166

Simple,yet effective. 7 of 10.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/5447529082_dbfa8410b9.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ddbias/54475290​82/  (external link)
feb8 (external link) by wotyy (external link), on Flickr

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
slash17
43 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2011 01:53 |  #167

8/10 love the atmosphere. Bokeh makes a very nice backdrop.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5437639722_81b4c55176_b.jpg

Corban227
341 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2011 04:06 |  #168

Wow very interesting capture. I really like the story it tells. he is missing an arm but is still playing and preforming. i also like the expression. i just wish that the Mic wasn't smack in the middle of his face. i would have really liked to see more. the background is also busy, but it doesn't look like that could have been helped
6/10 because of the Mic

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5447105506_fec1d1d0ff_b.jpg

Canon Rebel T2i
EFS 15-85mm
Speedlite 430ex II

kaptnkain
985 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2011 12:49 |  #169

7/10, well done, but shadow on the wall is distracting, as well as the mountains on the left and the texture of the cement. In a photo like this where your subject is a silhouette, you don't want to background and foreground to have more detail than the subject, if you do, you begin to lose the subject. Other than that, you have dust on your sensor, should get that cleaned out.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/5436086913_6ee3021a35_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kaptnkain/54360​86913/  (external link)
Caterpillar (external link) by Ilya Cherkasov (external link), on Flickr

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

Jamian
918 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 15, 2011 13:47 as a reply to  @ kaptnkain's post |  #170

Very cool subject but it would have been nice if the whole caterpillar were in focus. I also would have cropped or cloned out the bit of branch at the bottom of the frame near the centre - 7/10

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4926469018_1e33ecbd77_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/jayandruckow/4​926469018/  (external link)

Jay
500px (external link) | Gear
"It's not what you see, but how you see it."

harshgnar
23 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2011 15:58 |  #171

Really awesome. I need to go to a place like that. Just wish it had a little extra something in there 8.5/10

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5449308370_50b9ff066c_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/harshgnar/54493​08370/  (external link)
RK (external link) by Harshgnar (external link), on Flickr

My Flickr (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2011 16:12 as a reply to  @ harshgnar's post |  #172

I'll give this a try...

I like it but it's a bit off kilter for me. I don't know if you were trying to apply the rule of thirds with this by trying to get her nose in that bottom right corner... I don't know I'll give it a 6.5/10.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Sorry about that. I copied the wrong link. I was going to use that other one but then I found this one and liked it better.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

asty80
585 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 15, 2011 16:14 |  #173

I wonder what ppl rate their own photos that they put up here and whether the vote of an independent reviewer matches what they themselves feel.

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

kaptnkain
985 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2011 16:23 |  #174

I have a feeling this thread is a little misguided. This thread should be locked a new thread started focusing specifically on technical aspects of photography, not subject matter, where people post pictures they want prompt advice on. This thread has turned into a bit of a "who's got the best photos" contest.

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 15, 2011 16:29 |  #175

asty80 wrote in post #11849624 (external link)
I wonder what ppl rate their own photos that they put up here and whether the vote of an independent reviewer matches what they themselves feel.

Well everyone has their favorites which might be far off by other people standards or what everyone considers a technically correct & accurately exposed shot. But isn't this the beauty of photography & art in general? Not everybody has to like it it's a way of expressing yourself. And if your art means something to the others that's just f.. great :lol:

As far as the phydoux picture I give 4/10 (sorry :oops: )
I find nothing that interests me or drags my attention in this picture.
Here's mine. Intentionally underexposed. Just experimenting..

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5444942643_2fc4dfb58e_z.jpg

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

AforAperture
61 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 15, 2011 16:29 |  #176

I do agree that people are getting more reviews about what they took a photo of then how well they took the photograph. Not everyone likes to photograph the same things and people reviewing should keep that in mind. :D

I don't think it needs to be locked ... but different threads should be created for just technical aspects or focusing on specific areas of photography that way people who wanted rated specifically by people who LIKE to shoot street, landscape, studio, animals, etc can go there and get/give feedback.

A for Aperture (external link) | Blog (external link)

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 15, 2011 16:39 |  #177

AforAperture wrote in post #11849752 (external link)
I don't think it needs to be locked ... but different threads should be created for just technical aspects or focusing on specific areas of photography that way people who wanted rated specifically by people who LIKE to shoot street, landscape, studio, animals, etc can go there and get/give feedback.

Agreed on the non lock part. But I think if someone wants specific details or sharing of the "knowhow" of others, he can visit critique corner or the various types of photography for this reason. This is a simple, fun & abstract thread. Rate and post. :)

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

kaptnkain
985 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2011 16:45 |  #178

Yes, but as far as this thread goes, it's pointless. We're giving good photographs bad ratings, and mediocre images good ratings based on their content; we're giving false hope to or disappointment to people who come here to learn and not necessarily cater to other people's interests. Peer review is a very large part of the learning curve, and lets not forget, this is the critique section. For example, Phydoux's photo. It's a great photo, it's well composed, with very little distractions apart from the tree growing out of the wheel. The tones are subdued and fit the mood of the subject. That photo deserves a 8 out of 10 based on the photographer's compositional choices and technicalities, not 4 out of 10 based on it's content! Or for example, Juneb's photo from the previous page. Sure it may be an interesting concept, but as a photo it does not meet many common standards in either the aspects of composition or technicality. It does not deserve a 6 out of 10, obviously. This is what I mean, this thread is pointless, at least in this section as in it we neither consistently critique photos, nor we help an artist grow.

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2011 17:06 |  #179

kaptnkain wrote in post #11849871 (external link)
Yes, but as far as this thread goes, it's pointless. We're giving good photographs bad ratings, and mediocre images good ratings based on their content; we're giving false hope to or disappointment to people who come here to learn and not necessarily cater to other people's interests. Peer review is a very large part of the learning curve, and lets not forget, this is the critique section. For example, Phydoux's photo. It's a great photo, it's well composed, with very little distractions apart from the tree growing out of the wheel. The tones are subdued and fit the mood of the subject. That photo deserves a 8 out of 10 based on the photographer's compositional choices and technicalities, not 4 out of 10 based on it's content! Or for example, Juneb's photo from the previous page. Sure it may be an interesting concept, but as a photo it does not meet many common standards in either the aspects of composition or technicality. It does not deserve a 6 out of 10, obviously. This is what I mean, this thread is pointless, at least in this section as in it we neither consistently critique photos, nor we help an artist grow.

Thank you kaptnkain. I thought his comment was a bit harsh and you're right. This thread is sort of like I'll give your picture a 4. Here's mine... I think it's a 10. It's very biased. Not that orbitechgr's picture was bad but... You know what I'm getting at...

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

orbitechgr
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 15, 2011 17:20 |  #180

kaptnkain wrote in post #11849871 (external link)

I think I answered previously about everything I have to say.. This is a simple, fun & abstract thread. Rate and post.
No strict need for technical advice just plain and simple rating of what you and I like or not. It's a game!! Now if someone feels bad, or given false hope and vice versa on a thread like this.. Then I'm sorry. I can't help with that.. He better not post at all in here..
If I want someone to critique my pictures for example I'd post a thread and ask for opinions.And I'll welcome negative and positive comments equally. If someone wants to comment on my pictures then I wouldn't mind if he takes the initiative as well.
But that's just me. I fight with my ego a lot more these days.. ;)

phydoux wrote in post #11850018 (external link)
Thank you kaptnkain. I thought his comment was a bit harsh and you're right. This thread is sort of like I'll give your picture a 4. Here's mine... I think it's a 10. It's very biased. Not that orbitechgr's picture was bad but... You know what I'm getting at...

Do you think I have something personal with you? Do you want me to delete my post? Or you just need "constructive criticism"? Lighten up dude.. It's just a thread :D

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Jim

sponsored links

1,960,079 views & 333 likes for this thread
Rate the Photo Above You
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.