Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 07:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paypal scam?

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2011 12:43 |  #31

nardox wrote in post #11855244 (external link)
I have read many stories where the seller provided tracking number and still get screwed, and this actually happened to my friend last year. He shipped the package with USPS Priority. He provided Paypal the tracking number of the package. It was shown as delivered and the buyer even emailed him said he received it. A few days later the buyer filed a claim with Paypal saying it was not received, after going through dispute and showing Paypal the email he still got the money taken away from his account.

Do a quick search on Google and you will see a lot of people talking about how bad Paypal's Seller Protection is.

what they say on their website is that for the seller to take advantages of seller protection they need to ship with signature confirmation along with other condition. He shouldn't have problems with that but I've read that paypal often take buyer side. Why didn't your friend withdraw the money in his bank account. I don;t think paypal would take his money from there without his authorization.

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

sponsored links
nardox
195 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 16, 2011 12:49 |  #32

keyframe14 wrote in post #11855327 (external link)
what they say on their website is that for the seller to take advantages of seller protection they need to ship with signature confirmation along with other condition. He shouldn't have problems with that but I've read that paypal often take buyer side. Why didn't your friend withdraw the money in his bank account. I don;t think paypal would take his money from there without his authorization.

Paypal always take buyer side, like 99% the time.
For my friend's case, he was selling some other items on eBay at that time so he want to withdraw the money together. But even if he did withdraw the money and put it in his bank account Paypal could still take it I believe. I have heard things about Paypal taking money(chargeback) from people's Paypal linked bank account, not sure if it's true tho.

Canon 60D, EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6,
Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f/4L IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, EF 24mm f/1.4L

Marlfox
607 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 16, 2011 12:54 |  #33

Paypal is useless for selling. I just sold a load of Xbox games and got stung on two. Buyer complained that the plastic wrap on an item sold as 'Like New' was missing. I responded with the eBay definition of like new, he went to eBay, they decided on his side. I couldn't complain and they automatically took the money from my Paypal account.

Another they gave a full refund of $30 because they said the manual wasn't in the case (it was). I offered a $3 refund, they complained, again eBay went on their side and took the money from my account. I will not be selling through eBay again.

getting stung on those is just annoying, cost me $50. But imagine having someone do that on a $2k camera lens.

-Geoff-
5d ii / 24-105L/ 85L/ 100 Macro /135L

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2011 13:11 |  #34

nardox wrote in post #11855362 (external link)
For my friend's case, he was selling some other items on eBay at that time so he want to withdraw the money together. But even if he did withdraw the money and put it in his bank account Paypal could still take it I believe. I have heard things about Paypal taking money(chargeback) from people's Paypal linked bank account, not sure if it's true tho.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who dealt with this issue. I hate both ebay and paypal and I wish everyone would feel the same and stop using them. There are alternatives , i heard chase has one service similar. I would rather use them.

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

nardox
195 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 16, 2011 13:24 |  #35

keyframe14 wrote in post #11855474 (external link)
Would be interesting to hear from someone who dealt with this issue. I hate both ebay and paypal and I wish everyone would feel the same and stop using them. There are alternatives , i heard chase has one service similar. I would rather use them.

eBay gets a lot more attention if you try to sell something....but I'd rather sell on forums then on eBay

nardox
195 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 16, 2011 13:24 |  #36

Marlfox wrote in post #11855388 (external link)
Paypal is useless for selling. I just sold a load of Xbox games and got stung on two. Buyer complained that the plastic wrap on an item sold as 'Like New' was missing. I responded with the eBay definition of like new, he went to eBay, they decided on his side. I couldn't complain and they automatically took the money from my Paypal account.

Another they gave a full refund of $30 because they said the manual wasn't in the case (it was). I offered a $3 refund, they complained, again eBay went on their side and took the money from my account. I will not be selling through eBay again.

getting stung on those is just annoying, cost me $50. But imagine having someone do that on a $2k camera lens.

Exactly....I don't know how people sell $1000 lens on eBay...

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,005 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 16, 2011 13:27 |  #37

I still say face to face is the best way to sell / buy. I have bought and sold tons of stuff on Ebay with little to no hassles but that was back a few years and there are less "drum auction" scams than photography equipment. I dont understand what it is about cameras that the scammers like them so much... all these ebay, CL scams and then all the shadey camera equipment sites.. lol Photographers arent dumb....are we? I dont believe so..lol

whats worse is the stupid feedback on ebay.. i had a guy win an auction and then never actually buy the item, i sent him about 6 emails in the span of about 2 weeks, he never replied so I gave him a neutral feedback saying beware, user doesnt follow through with winning auctions. so of course he leaves me feedbak...negative feedback saying something like, Beware, very bad seller, do not buy from him.. which is a total lie as i never did sell him anything...lol I tried to get ebay to remove the negative feedback and they said there was no way they could once it was left. so essentially, if you wanna be an a**h**e, you can find some one with impeccable feedback for like 15 years and start willing auctions from him, not pay and just leave bad feedback and ruin his rep on ebay and ebay wont lift a finger... great!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

jaycky
Goldmember
2,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 16, 2011 16:14 |  #38

If i felt like i wanted to get into a career of being a **** i would buy everything big ticket items through paypal and play this trick on people...
Its totally not cool..

I used to sell other peoples motorbike parts online took a cut everyone got paid was great income. Came up with the idea when it was slow one year just went and sold myself to people..
Then it seemed complete bikes getting stripped on ebay for nothing where popping up. How the hell do you compete with a person who steals a bike... If they strip the sportbike sell each part for 1.00 and the end bid reaches 450 each add it all up 5000 dollars later free bike large money i closed it all down especially after getting roasted from ebay with negative feedback due to border holding packages for months due to 9/11. No win situation haven't found another outlet to make money online since...

5DM2 /grip Lots Of L's
measurbating f-stops
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/52633882@N07/ (external link)
http://about.me/jbmpho​tos (external link)
http://photobyfish.tum​blr.com/archive (external link)

PicSniper
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 16, 2011 17:07 |  #39

nardox wrote in post #11855362 (external link)

keyframe14 wrote in post #11855474 (external link)
Would be interesting to hear from someone who dealt with this issue.

If you have a bank-account-linked "Personal" PayPal account, then no, PayPal cannot touch your linked bank account, only funds available in your PayPal account. With a bank-account-linked "Business" PayPal account, then yes, PayPal can take funds from your account.

Hello, my name is Victor.
My Gear List

Juneb
505 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 16, 2011 17:13 as a reply to  @ post 11851315 |  #40

I have also used paypal without any problems for years but I do use a small checking account to do business with them ,,,just to protect myself

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55
75-300
to much to learn, to little time left to learn it

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 17, 2011 02:07 |  #41

PicSniper wrote in post #11857097 (external link)
If you have a bank-account-linked "Personal" PayPal account, then no, PayPal cannot touch your linked bank account, only funds available in your PayPal account. With a bank-account-linked "Business" PayPal account, then yes, PayPal can take funds from your account.

Mine was "personal" and they still snagged the $200 from it.

Oh you still can use a MO on fleabay. You just have to ask the seller if (s)he accepts them. Sellers cannot say in the ad they will take a MO or anything not paypal.

Also you cant put "no returns" anymore. Not even gonna mention their 21 day hold now.

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

PicSniper
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2011 07:28 |  #42

YamahaRob wrote in post #11859623 (external link)
Mine was "personal" and they still snagged the $200 from it.

Oh you still can use a MO on fleabay. You just have to ask the seller if (s)he accepts them. Sellers cannot say in the ad they will take a MO or anything not paypal.

Also you cant put "no returns" anymore. Not even gonna mention their 21 day hold now.

I guess it was only a matter of time before they changed their "Terms of Service" to be able to have control over your personal account's linked bank account, too. :(

Hello, my name is Victor.
My Gear List

keleko17
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 17, 2011 14:45 as a reply to  @ PicSniper's post |  #43

It is amazing how close a group can come with a common goal. While I know my total post isn't close to most people on here, I have been a stalker for a while now, and finally decided that I would only get out what I put into it.

I have always felt comfortable with the few purchases I have had on made here, and I am currently hoping for my first sale to add to the feedback.

All this kind of makes me worried to take Paypal, but maybe I just need to check your POTN resume. :)

I compare my photography to my golf game. It only takes a couple of good shots to get me to try again.

Gear and Feedback

Marlfox
607 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 17, 2011 14:47 |  #44

Paypal isn't the monster, it's eBay.

As long as you don't get hit by a major scam, Paypal is awesome. It's only eBay I have issues with.

-Geoff-
5d ii / 24-105L/ 85L/ 100 Macro /135L

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 18, 2011 03:50 |  #45

Marlfox wrote in post #11862709 (external link)
Paypal isn't the monster, it's eBay.

As long as you don't get hit by a major scam, Paypal is awesome. It's only eBay I have issues with.

Sad thing is Ebay and paypal are the same company.

Picsniper, this happened to me about 5 or 6 yrs ago. They change their ToS pretty much on a whim. I quit using it after that.

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

sponsored links

5,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paypal scam?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.