Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-stop Loka looks like a winner

.mark.
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 08, 2011 15:38 |  #136

What happens if the bladder/hydration sleeve bursts?! Is the pocket that holds it waterproof or anything. Or would the ICU offer sufficient protection?

5DIII :: 15FE :: 16-35LII :: 24LII :: 50L :: 85 1.8 :: 135L :: 100-400L :: 430EX2 :: 580EX2 :: YN560II x2
flickr (external link) :: twitter (external link) :: 500px (external link) :: Facebook (external link) :: Gear list :: Project365 (external link)

sponsored links
ottacat
171 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2011 10:11 |  #137

Fstop-Ian wrote in post #11791026 (external link)
The above answer is correct. We also suggest Platypus bladders as they are very good and versatile ( they have a wine version ;) )and the hose is plenty long enough for F-stop packs.

http://cascadedesigns.​com …ydration-systems/category (external link)

Platypus and its distributors won't ship outside the US. Any suggestions for us in the rest of the world?

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200L IS II, EF 100 macro, 1.4 TC III, 430 EX II
Flickr (external link)

.mark.
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 13, 2011 10:25 |  #138

ottacat wrote in post #11834078 (external link)
Platypus and its distributors won't ship outside the US. Any suggestions for us in the rest of the world?

amazon sell them in the uk
http://www.amazon.co.u​k …keywords=platyp​us&x=0&y=0 (external link)

5DIII :: 15FE :: 16-35LII :: 24LII :: 50L :: 85 1.8 :: 135L :: 100-400L :: 430EX2 :: 580EX2 :: YN560II x2
flickr (external link) :: twitter (external link) :: 500px (external link) :: Facebook (external link) :: Gear list :: Project365 (external link)

ottacat
171 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2011 11:10 |  #139

Ah, thank you. I see Amazon in the US had them and will seems they will ship to Canada. The company won't ship to Canada and one of their distributors had a note in their shipping FAQ that they couldn't ship Platypus stuff outside the US.

My interest was in the insulated one (it's cold here in Canada in winter). However visually it has a much shorter drinking tube so wonder if it will have the same issue as other packs. The non-insulated ones seem to have the very long tubes.

In answer to your question I just took my F-Stop hydration sleeve, filled it with water and the squeezed it up and down and no water leaked out.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200L IS II, EF 100 macro, 1.4 TC III, 430 EX II
Flickr (external link)

ottacat
171 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2011 11:16 |  #140

Oh, and further the pocket in the back may or may not leak (sorry not going to try and fill that with water). However the bladder would have to burst and then the sleeve would have to burst before the water would even get into the pocket in the bag. However the pocket runs at the back of the ICU which is pretty thick and padded. I imagine it would either absorb or run off the water without the camera gear getting wet. It's enough protection that I won't have any qualms using it once I buy a suitable bladder.

Flickr (external link)

czeglin
560 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2011 11:39 |  #141

Given the abuse I have put my Camelbak bladder through I have 100% confidence in it. When you see one of them in person you'll know what I mean. They're really thick. For it to be at any risk of bursting you would have to fall so hard on it that your camera gear would be in trouble regardless, e.g. you fall 5 feet off a ledge and land on your back.

Flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | DIY Padded Insert

.mark.
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 13, 2011 12:17 |  #142

Great thanks for the feedback. I ordered mine last week so hopefully it's making it's way across the atlantic as we speak and I'll get it this week!

ottacat
171 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2011 21:18 |  #143

Today I go out to shoot some shots of daughter and her horse as its a nice warm winter day with overcast sky giving beautiful diffused light. I didn't need the F-Stop backpack so I just loaded up medium ICU with my camera, 17-55 and 70-200 L II. After doing some shooting with the 70-200 I switch it for the 17-55 and put back in the ICU, zip it up and set it by the fence. A few minutes another horse on the other side of fence wanders over to check out the ICU. Next thing the darn horse starts biting at it and then picks the whole thing up in its mouth by the handle and the flings it up in the air! Thank god the ground is snowy but while my daughter and I are busy trying to get the gate open the horse picks it up and flings it around another 2 or 3 times. I'm having a freaking heart attack because that 70-200 is one bloody expensive lens.

Finally we recover the bag and the lens was still nicely velcro'ed down and in perfect shape. Those ICU's are well made and (thank god), nicely padded.

Did get a few nice shots though...

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/5444096514_2a95793c0e.jpg

Flickr (external link)

JohnJ80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2011 22:33 |  #144

LOL. That's a good testament to the security of the ICU. I'm going to have to save that one next time some makes a crack about the padding being insufficient or something.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

czeglin
560 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2011 14:48 |  #145

.mark. wrote in post #11834807 (external link)
Great thanks for the feedback. I ordered mine last week so hopefully it's making it's way across the atlantic as we speak and I'll get it this week!

If you're new to hydration bladders I will just warn you: make sure the main fill opening is properly closed. It's such a wide and short thread that it's easy to screw on wrong until you get accustomed to it.

Flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | DIY Padded Insert

Vladimer
634 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 17, 2011 14:59 |  #146

.mark. wrote in post #11803413 (external link)
What happens if the bladder/hydration sleeve bursts?! Is the pocket that holds it waterproof or anything. Or would the ICU offer sufficient protection?

I have also abused all my bladders pretty well and never had a issue before. Buy a quality name brand bladder and have peace of mind.

czeglin wrote in post #11862713 (external link)
If you're new to hydration bladders I will just warn you: make sure the main fill opening is properly closed. It's such a wide and short thread that it's easy to screw on wrong until you get accustomed to it.

Agreed!! I've actually had that happen once or twice when I didn't tighten it fully or was just in a rush and did not put it on properly. Luckily I noticed before I left the house.

Besides that problem (which is user error) I would say its pretty safe. I would still be a bit unsure putting it in the same pack as camera gear though personally even with having full confidence in the bladders.

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 17, 2011 18:42 |  #147

This thread has pretty much convinced me to look into getting a Loka + 3 ICU setup for my travels. I could use the large ICU as gear storage for home and switch between different configurations between small and medium ICUs for traveling dependent on what else I want to pack in the back. Now I have to find out when F-Stop plans to stock more of these things!

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

twe90kid
124 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2011 00:38 |  #148

I'm interested. I'm a rookie photography, but I would like to get one of these bags for everyday use. This means I want to use this for my day backpack for school. How would this hold up for school?
I would like to be able to just throw in the small ICU when I need to put my photography gear in there.

Have anyone of you loaded the bag up and wore it for the whole day? I want something that i can wear for the whole day without being very strain because of poorly designed weight distribution.

Vladimer
634 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 18, 2011 00:56 |  #149

twe90kid wrote in post #11865685 (external link)
I'm interested. I'm a rookie photography, but I would like to get one of these bags for everyday use. This means I want to use this for my day backpack for school. How would this hold up for school?
I would like to be able to just throw in the small ICU when I need to put my photography gear in there.

Have anyone of you loaded the bag up and wore it for the whole day? I want something that i can wear for the whole day without being very strain because of poorly designed weight distribution.

I have carried mine all day outdoors numerous times. Lately its been snowshoeing due to the weather. If you were to use it mostly for school then I personally would go to MEC (if your in canada) and get a backpack ment for more school type of lugging. Has lots of space and there best selling one is about 50 bucks. Can't go wrong with that, especially if you trash it around or are carrying lots of heavy books.

Most of the straps seem a bit thinner then most alpine packs I have, most manufactures do this to save weight. Which also lowers the longevity and increases the chance you will rip something.

I feel pretty confident when I lift my F-Stop bag when its fully loaded, but even then I practice the same thing that I do with lightweight bags, when you lift the backpack to put it on your shoulder, don't just pick up a loop that your arm goes through and sling it over shoulder as this increases the chance it will rip. Always have your other arm support the back from the bottom and if its a large pack then rest it on your knee as you turn it around to put on your back.

Its good practice for heavier packs in general. If you are not carrying heavy books around all day and you think you would use the bag for its camera bag features more often then I say get it :)

Otherwise there are cheaper options that would probably work for you better for school.

twe90kid
124 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2011 01:08 |  #150

Vladimer wrote in post #11865733 (external link)
I have carried mine all day outdoors numerous times. Lately its been snowshoeing due to the weather. If you were to use it mostly for school then I personally would go to MEC (if your in canada) and get a backpack ment for more school type of lugging. Has lots of space and there best selling one is about 50 bucks. Can't go wrong with that, especially if you trash it around or are carrying lots of heavy books.

Most of the straps seem a bit thinner then most alpine packs I have, most manufactures do this to save weight. Which also lowers the longevity and increases the chance you will rip something.

I feel pretty confident when I lift my F-Stop bag when its fully loaded, but even then I practice the same thing that I do with lightweight bags, when you lift the backpack to put it on your shoulder, don't just pick up a loop that your arm goes through and sling it over shoulder as this increases the chance it will rip. Always have your other arm support the back from the bottom and if its a large pack then rest it on your knee as you turn it around to put on your back.

Its good practice for heavier packs in general. If you are not carrying heavy books around all day and you think you would use the bag for its camera bag features more often then I say get it :)

Otherwise there are cheaper options that would probably work for you better for school.

i'm actually debating between the loka and the tilopaBC. The tilopaBC looks nicer in a way. Also, I won't be lugging around like 10 books in my bag, probably a binder, laptop, and 2 books at most + a water bottle. I've read here that the loka doesn't fit a 15" macbook? What happens if it's a 13" laptop?

The reason I consider f-stop because i don't want to be like everyone else carrying a Northface backpack or something similar. Also I do travel a lot and need to carry my camera gear + a laptop. So it seems like the f-stop bag is suitable in one way or another + aesthetically better looking!

sponsored links

169,145 views & 1 like for this thread
F-stop Loka looks like a winner
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.