Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Feb 2011 (Wednesday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoclam 33NS or Markins Q3T

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 17, 2011 12:53 |  #16

the red markins you have, is that the version where the panning knob and the main knob are spread apart so the 1541t legs can close all the way? also, on the markins website, they only have the red available with the lever release and not the screw release....

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 17, 2011 13:20 |  #17

Yes, it's the so-called "mark II" version that has the two knobs further apart.

When I bought this one in May of last year, they took the lever release off it for me and replaced it with a screw knob clamp. I read recently in this thread that they're not doing that any more. I have a second red Q3T that I sourced directly from S. Korea through an eBay dealer and that one came directly from the factory with a screw clamp. If you buy through eBay and the ballhead breaks it has to be sent back to S. Korea for service, just so that you know. Red ones with a screw clamp are still being sold on eBay, but make sure by email that you'll get the redesigned version with the separated knobs before you buy. Try to persuade Markins in Canada to change the clamp before you resort to eBay...

~Peter

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 17, 2011 14:20 |  #18

thanks peter...

now, next on my list, should I go for the RRS lever release clamp, stay with the markins lever release clamp or markins screw clamp?

(* I am getting the RRS plate either way)

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 17, 2011 14:27 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #19

I had a Markins Q3T, sold it. Needed another ballhead again and bought a Photoclam PC-36NS, no regrets. I'd go with Photoclam again if I had to do it over. They're the same to me, except in price.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 17, 2011 14:42 |  #20

crcal wrote in post #11862595 (external link)
I had a Markins Q3T, sold it. Needed another ballhead again and bought a Photoclam PC-36NS, no regrets. I'd go with Photoclam again if I had to do it over. They're the same to me, except in price.

just curious, what legs did you use this on? if it was the 1541t, would the pan base of the PC36NS be a bit bigger on the 1541t?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,441 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 17, 2011 15:01 |  #21

tagakweens wrote in post #11862545 (external link)
now, next on my list, should I go for the RRS lever release clamp, stay with the markins lever release clamp or markins screw clamp?

I'll stay out of this. I prefer any screw clamp over any lever clamp and have been pilloried for it on this forum (and this forum only). All of your choices will work well with a RRS L-bracket.

tagakweens wrote in post #11862687 (external link)
just curious, what legs did you use this on? if it was the 1541t, would the pan base of the PC36NS be a bit bigger on the 1541t?

If you want the legs of the 1541T to fold back over the ballhead parallel to the center column both the ball housing diameter and the panning base diameter of the ballhead must be <=50mm. The panning base diameter of the Photo Clam PC-36NS is 53.5mm.

~Peter

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 17, 2011 15:21 |  #22

peter_n wrote in post #11862164 (external link)
Try to persuade Markins in Canada to change the clamp before you resort to eBay...

Markins in Vancouver will do anything you want re the QR's, without charge in my experience. And I would just stick with the Markins lever QR, it's more compact than the RRS and will work with the RRS plate and bracket system if that's what you want to use. I would just make sure to use one company's plate and bracket system for all your gear so you don't have to adjust the lever release all the time. That's if you get a lever release rather than a screw. IMO it's much faster to use.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 17, 2011 15:34 |  #23

tvphotog wrote in post #11862896 (external link)
Markins in Vancouver will do anything you want re the QR's, without charge in my experience. And I would just stick with the Markins lever QR, it's more compact than the RRS and will work with the RRS plate and bracket system if that's what you want to use. I would just make sure to use one company's plate and bracket system for all your gear so you don't have to adjust the lever release all the time. That's if you get a lever release rather than a screw. IMO it's much faster to use.

I just called Markins and spoke to Steve.... he convinced me to stick with the markins qr clamp, also, they won't sell the red one without the loctite....

since this is my first "real" ballhead, and I don' t have any plates yet... should I just go markins all the way, plates and all?

is there really such as a "better" plate?

I considered the rrs plate because i was thinking for now, get the regular plate, and in the future, get the L bracket, markins doesn't have the L bracket for a 7D gripped...

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 17, 2011 15:40 |  #24

Get RRS plates, as I think you will eventually see the benefits of the L bracket. RRS are past masters at the L bracket. For standard plates, the Markins ones are fine, but I think you should stay with one company's plate and bracket system.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

peter_n
Goldmember
2,441 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 17, 2011 17:49 |  #25

tagakweens wrote in post #11862964 (external link)
I just called Markins and spoke to Steve.... he convinced me to stick with the markins qr clamp, also, they won't sell the red one without the loctite....

since this is my first "real" ballhead, and I don' t have any plates yet... should I just go markins all the way, plates and all?

Steve Yoon is a good guy, but Markins are nuts about the red Loctite. Get the RRS plate, the Markins clamp will mate with it just fine. The RRS plates have cutouts on the bottom (see this pic) and apparently the Markins plates don't, I don't use Markins plates but I was told that. No cutout in the bottom of the plate and that safety pin won't work. Get the RRS plate, I use them and they are excellent.

~Peter

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 17, 2011 19:06 |  #26

tagakweens wrote in post #11862687 (external link)

It was on a Benro Travel Angel C-168M8. I sold it and just bought a 1541T and haven't used the ballhead on it yet.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean to ask: Would the pan base of the PC-36NS be a bit bigger than the 1541T? Not sure, I have yet to use them together.

Calvin

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 17, 2011 19:12 |  #27

peter_n wrote in post #11862786 (external link)
I prefer any screw clamp over any lever clamp

I also like the screw clamps although I've never used a lever clamp from RRS or Markins. But I really can't see a lever clamp being that much better to justify buying one. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Calvin

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 17, 2011 19:46 |  #28

crcal wrote in post #11864242 (external link)
I also like the screw clamps although I've never used a lever clamp from RRS or Markins. But I really can't see a lever clamp being that much better to justify buying one. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

You know how when you shoot a sunset, there's just that one moment when the sky is perfect? I found it, and shot it in landscape mode. I was desperate to get it in portrait mode, too.

But I had a screw QR, and by the time I got L bracket out of it, but had not loosened it enough and had to turn the screw some more, and then get the short end of the L bracket in there, then make sure it was secure, the moment had passed.

That evening I ordered a lever QR. It takes about two seconds now to change camera mode.

True story.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …lma/HamptonsSun​set2-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Jay

peter_n
Goldmember
2,441 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 18, 2011 08:27 |  #29

Nice shot! :)

crcal wrote in post #11864242 (external link)
But I really can't see a lever clamp being that much better...

Faster isn't necessarily better. "Better" has a lot of other meanings too. Anyway if you top-load a screw-knob clamp it can be very quick; ½ turn camera out, camera in ½ turn. Do it a few times and it's quick.

Also as a street shooter I don't understand why everything connected with tripod shooting has to be so fast. Surely by it's very definition you are taking time to make a considered shot? Taken with a screw clamp: ;)

IMAGE: http://www.nolan.com/forum_imgs/DSCF2088PP.jpg

~Peter

tagakweens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 18, 2011 16:15 |  #30

Wow! and Wow!

btw, thanks for all your input and I'm happy to announce that I went with (drumroll)....

markins q3t (red) w/ the quick release lever and the rrs plate (not the L bracket yet, too much $$)...

so my new setup would be:
gitzo 1541t
markins q3t (red w/ qr)
rrs plate

thanks again guys...

sponsored links

7,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoclam 33NS or Markins Q3T
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.