Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 15 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 09:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Broward County FLorida Hot Spots? (or look what they've done to my song ma)

bulos
20 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2011 09:03 |  #1

I am old enough to recall when Greynolds Park in North Miami was a great place to see birds (including an occassional Scarlet Ibis) then they yielded to the pressure of the surrounding residents and removed the alligators. Last time I was there I saw 2 birds. I use to get flocks of Painted Buntings to my Davie feeder then they widened Griffin Road, tore down the farm and orchards and last time I put seed in my feeder I got no buntings I did however get a rat. Sad. Anyone out here know of any "secret hotspots" in the Davie? North Broward area (excluding Wakodahatchee and Green Cay) ? The pic is one of many from that happier time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2011 16:23 |  #2

What a gorgeous bird!

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 17, 2011 17:47 |  #3

Being from the Davie area I'm sure you're familiar with Long Key Natural Area. Another is Chapel Trail Nature Preserve. It's about the only places I can think of, other than those you've excluded. Unfortunately, Broward is quickly suffering the same fate as Dade - too many people in too short a time, so all we have left are these small parks.

Wako is good, but I was surprised to see sooooo many people there last weekend. And don't get me started on Green Cay - the power walkers will just mow you and your tripod down.

Andy Garcia

---------------
Andy Garcia
Google+ (external link) | Zenfolio (external link)

kmunroe
Cream of the Crop
12,926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 17, 2011 18:03 |  #4

very nice Bulos

eaglssong
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2011 19:53 |  #5

arg245 wrote in post #11863743 (external link)
Being from the Davie area I'm sure you're familiar with Long Key Natural Area. Another is Chapel Trail Nature Preserve. It's about the only places I can think of, other than those you've excluded. Unfortunately, Broward is quickly suffering the same fate as Dade - too many people in too short a time, so all we have left are these small parks.

Wako is good, but I was surprised to see sooooo many people there last weekend. And don't get me started on Green Cay - the power walkers will just mow you and your tripod down.

Andy Garcia

Andy, how's the parking situation at Wako? I'm supposed to be going there Saturday morning with a meetup group. As of now, there are 49 signed up. I've never been there, but I'm not so sure the boardwalk will be able to hold all of us and our equipment. :lol:

:) Anne

focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 17, 2011 20:08 |  #6

wow... love the colors

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 17, 2011 20:17 |  #7

AnnieBananie wrote in post #11864448 (external link)
Andy, how's the parking situation at Wako? I'm supposed to be going there Saturday morning with a meetup group. As of now, there are 49 signed up. I've never been there, but I'm not so sure the boardwalk will be able to hold all of us and our equipment. :lol:

Well, when I was there last Saturday, the lot was full to capacity when I left around 10:00am. There were the regulars, and then a guided group of around 25 birdwatchers came in.

If the meet-up group has 49 attending, it's gonna be tight. I suggest you get there just before 7:00. ;)

Oh, and if you've never been there, I think you'll enjoy it. The variety of birds last week was excellent!

---------------
Andy Garcia

eaglssong
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 17, 2011 20:34 |  #8

arg245 wrote in post #11864582 (external link)
Well, when I was there last Saturday, the lot was full to capacity when I left around 10:00am. There were the regulars, and then a guided group of around 25 birdwatchers came in.

If the meet-up group has 49 attending, it's gonna be tight. I suggest you get there just before 7:00. ;)

Oh, and if you've never been there, I think you'll enjoy it. The variety of birds last week was excellent!

Thanks. And apologies to Bulos for hijacking his thread.

And yes, I plan on being there before 7.

Bulos, you might want to check out the groups at www.meetup.com (external link). They have some interesting excursions to places I've never heard of. In fact, there's one this Sunday, and one the following weekend to a place called Panther Ridge (I think that's the name). Unfortunately, both sessions are full and wait listed. They do seem to do that one fairly frequently. And I know it's a bit far from Miami Dade and Broward, and kind of short notice, but this looks really interesting. Out of my budget right now, but maybe next year.

http://www.bigobirding​festival.com/ (external link)

bulos
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2011 22:30 |  #9

focus.pocus wrote in post #11864533 (external link)
wow... love the colors

This is a Kodachrome ASA 25 I think . Scanned it recently with a Minolta 5400. The lens was a Century Cine Optics 385mm. f 4.5, extension tubes, lit with multiple strobe heads through a Norman Power Pack set up at at a feeding area. I took out the multiple pupil highligts in Corel.

bulos
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 17, 2011 23:06 |  #10

arg245 wrote in post #11863743 (external link)

Andy Garcia

Long Key is right around the corner but I've never seen much there. I will have to invesatigate Chapel Trail. I am going to start throwing people off of the boardwalk at Green Cay, power walkers, loud cell phone talkers, and the truly obnoxious are top of the list. Alligator fodder!

eaglssong
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2011 05:36 |  #11

bulos wrote in post #11865380 (external link)
Long Key is right around the corner but I've never seen much there. I will have to invesatigate Chapel Trail. I am going to start throwing people off of the boardwalk at Green Cay, power walkers, loud cell phone talkers, and the truly obnoxious are top of the list. Alligator fodder!

Bulos, I know exactly what you mean, so throw a few off the boardwalk for me too. I will never forget a trip down the Glades way back in the 70s. Loads of bus tourists who only wanted to talk (in their loudest voices of course) about which shopping mall they'd just been to, and which was next on their list. I was soooooooo angry. And that was way before most of us had cell phones (another pet peeve of mine).

Anyhow, I don't know if you've seen this yet, or if anything will help, but there's a big list of places on the Florida Birding Trail site at:

http://floridabirdingt​rail.com/index.php/tri​p/trails/south/ (external link)

I too have been extremely disappointed this year at the lack of birds here in Lauderdale Lakes. They seem to be returning now, but it's slow. I'm sure all the cold weather had something to do with that.

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 18, 2011 06:30 |  #12

Beautiful shot.

Don
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon G9, EFS 15-85mm 3.5-5.6, EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 40mm F2.8, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

arg245
827 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 18, 2011 07:32 |  #13

bulos wrote in post #11865380 (external link)

Now, now, we don't want to poison the gators.

A warning about Chapel Trail - For the last couple of years it's been really disappointing. It is worth checking out, however don't expect too much. It may well be that I've not visited there at the right times, but it just seems like the wildlife just doesn't like the place all that much, at least, anywhere near the boardwalk. They seem to prefer roosting farther away.

I've had fairly good luck with Red Shouldered Hawks though.

I'd also forgotten to mention the burrowing owls at Brain Piccolo park. There are plenty of nests, and they let you get really close.

Andy

---------------
Andy Garcia

akhan
Cream of the Crop
5,215 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 18, 2011 07:53 |  #14

Beautiful shot of a colorful bird

1Dx, 7d II, Canon 200 F2 IS, Canon 600 F/4 IS, Canon 400 F/2.8 IS II, Canon 85 1.2 II, Canon 50 f/1.8II, Canon 1.4 TC III + Canon 2x III TC + Kenko 1.4 TC + Kenko Tubes, PS5, LR4
My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/akhanhk/ (external link)

bulos
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 18, 2011 08:54 |  #15

arg245 wrote in post #11866621 (external link)
Now, now, we don't want to poison the gators.

A warning about Chapel Trail - For the last couple of years it's been really disappointing. It is worth checking out, however don't expect too much. It may well be that I've not visited there at the right times, but it just seems like the wildlife just doesn't like the place all that much, at least, anywhere near the boardwalk. They seem to prefer roosting farther away.

I've had fairly good luck with Red Shouldered Hawks though.

I'd also forgotten to mention the burrowing owls at Brain Piccolo park. There are plenty of nests, and they let you get really close.

Andy

Yeah Andy thanks. I've shot the owls at BPP any idea when the nests would have young that would make nice shots, family of them.

sponsored links

2,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
Broward County FLorida Hot Spots? (or look what they've done to my song ma)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.