Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 18 Feb 2011 (Friday) 18:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first attempt at HDR - C&C Please

Madboy1827
184 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 18, 2011 18:32 |  #1

This is my first attempt at HDR - C&C Please

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Marc
Canon 6D with Various Canon Lenses

sponsored links
Ran_photography
853 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2011 20:10 |  #2

Too much tonemapping, you don't want to completely ignore the line that divides what's cool and what's realistic.

Canon rebel Xti
Canon 60mm macro, 70-300mm, 10-22mm, 50mm 1.8, 18-55 kit lens
Ryan Nelson, 18
http://myspace.com/ran​_photography (external link)
http://flickr.com/phot​os/ran_photography (external link)

megapixelsoffun
202 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 18, 2011 20:23 |  #3

Rule of HDR, if you stare at it for 10 seconds and the image hurts your eyes you need to pull it back

Canon EOS 7D | Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM (Bigma) | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Thrifty Fifty) | Canon 100 mm F/2.8 L MACRO IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM | 430 EX II

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 18, 2011 20:26 |  #4

megapixelsoffun wrote in post #11870823 (external link)
Rule of HDR, if you stare at it for 10 seconds and the image hurts your eyes you need to pull it back

I like that rule!

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 19, 2011 07:52 as a reply to  @ bcd01's post |  #5

Hurt my eyes immediately. Too much tonemapping, or as one user here calls it: clown puke.

What's all that garbage in the sky above the tree behind the right side of the house? Too sharp to be sensor spots. Not leaves blowing, there ain't none. Possibly garbage created by excessive tonemapping?

Website (external link) |

Madboy1827
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2011 10:29 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #11872799 (external link)
Hurt my eyes immediately. Too much tonemapping, or as one user here calls it: clown puke.

What's all that garbage in the sky above the tree behind the right side of the house? Too sharp to be sensor spots. Not leaves blowing, there ain't none. Possibly garbage created by excessive tonemapping?

Did u read at the top this is my first time trying HDR. So I wanted CC not to be bashed. I didn't even know how to do it so I read a tutorial and this is what came out.

~Marc

megapixelsoffun
202 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 19, 2011 11:06 |  #7

Madboy1827 wrote in post #11873332 (external link)
Did u read at the top this is my first time trying HDR. So I wanted CC not to be bashed. I didn't even know how to do it so I read a tutorial and this is what came out.

I agree you should not be bashed, your statement here says a lot though, instead of just blindly reading a tutorial, certainly read and follow it to some degree but step back, experiment and try different things while doing it. Look online (Google search) and see other HDR and what makes them good/unique.

Don't follow anything, lead it your way.

Canon EOS 7D | Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM (Bigma) | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Thrifty Fifty) | Canon 100 mm F/2.8 L MACRO IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM | 430 EX II

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 19, 2011 12:23 |  #8

Madboy1827 wrote in post #11873332 (external link)
So I wanted CC not to be bashed.

Here is the definition of critique:

a criticism or critical comment on some problem, subject, etc.

When you post asking for "C&C Please" that is exactly what you are asking for. There is nothing inherently restricting it to either only negative or only positive comments. If you ask for critique, you should be able to accept critique. If you are not, you should not post asking for so.

This may be helpful, too. This is the definition of the Critique Corner on this forum:

By posting your photos here you are specifically requesting comments, advice and critique of value and merits of both photos and the photographer.

You asked for it here and you received it. You should learn to accept it as well.

If you only want glowing, positive comments please say so in your post.

Madboy1827
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2011 12:38 |  #9

I asked for constructive criticism. Saying to someone that's garbage is criticism, yes, I get that but its not constructive. Maybe if u were like its garbage but next time try this... then that would have been fine. I'm very new to all this so by just saying that its garbage doesn't help me get better at it. So thanks for your English lesson. Maybe next time you can give me actual input if you are capable of doing so. K thanks!

~Marc

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 19, 2011 12:44 |  #10

Madboy1827 wrote in post #11870279 (external link)
This is my first attempt at HDR - C&C Please

Madboy1827 wrote in post #11873861 (external link)
I asked for constructive criticism.

Where in your original post (above) does it say you want only positive feedback?

Edit: I'll extend a little extra friendly advice, here. POTN is one of the more mild forums. If your feelings are easily hurt, I would strongly advise not posting on some other forums. Not all, but there are some that pale in comparison to potn. You will be downright abused there, so use caution.

T.D.
33,601 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 19, 2011 12:47 |  #11

Let's get back on topic. If you aren't here to help the OP - it's time to move along.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

Madboy1827
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2011 12:55 |  #12

Constructive criticism is positive feedback! Here is an English lesson for you. Constructive criticism aims to show that the intent or purpose of something is better served by an alternative approach. In this case, the target of criticism is not necessarily deemed wrong, and its purpose is respected; rather, it is claimed that the same goal could be better achieved via a different route. My feelings aren't easily hurt but by someone saying that's garbage doesn't help me get better at it.

~Marc

T.D.
33,601 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 19, 2011 13:06 |  #13

I learned something about HDR recently that has made a world of difference for me. Previously I was attempting to get a "finished product" out of Photomatix (my tonemapping/HDR software). I learned that I was setting myself up for failure with this expectation. Photomatix creates an image that is your starting point for good HDR. Once you've done the work there, take it back to Photoshop (or whatever your editor of choice is) and finish the work. There are tons of techniques that work - but they take work.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

This (external link)is an HDR shot I did a couple of years ago. Lots of problems with it, as you can see. It's straight out of Photomatix.

This (external link)is a recent example after I learned that I've got more work to do after Photomatix.

See the difference?

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

Madboy1827
THREAD ­ STARTER
184 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2011 13:15 |  #14

T.D. wrote in post #11873980 (external link)
I learned something about HDR recently that has made a world of difference for me. Previously I was attempting to get a "finished product" out of Photomatix (my tonemapping/HDR software). I learned that I was setting myself up for failure with this expectation. Photomatix creates an image that is your starting point for good HDR. Once you've done the work there, take it back to Photoshop (or whatever your editor of choice is) and finish the work. There are tons of techniques that work - but they take work.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

This (external link)is an HDR shot I did a couple of years ago. Lots of problems with it, as you can see. It's straight out of Photomatix.

This (external link)is a recent example after I learned that I've got more work to do after Photomatix.

See the difference?

Thank you! I will do that from now on

~Marc

sponsored links

1,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first attempt at HDR - C&C Please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.