Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Feb 2011 (Saturday) 07:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMkII AF vs 7D

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 19, 2011 07:19 |  #1

I currently have a 40D and it has performed well for me, but am now thinking of getting a 5DMkII to go FF and get me some more pixels.

I have been cruising the Rumors section of the board as the 5DMkII is currently nearly 2 yrs old and am wondering if I should make the plunge now or wait? Some of the 'supposed' features of the rumoured 5DMkIII will be the inclusion of the 7D focus system, 30MP, and a higher frame rate.

I'm not sure that I really need 30MP, but the frame rate would be nice ... BUT my real question is ... will I need the AF that the 7D is using??? I pretty much use the center point for AF on my 40D because I want to control things. Is this flawed thinking when the 7D AF system is in play? Do those who have the 7D go with AF or are they sticking to center point AF (assuming they have done so pre 7D).

One other thing I am thinking is that the 5DMkIII (assuming there will be one), will likely sell for well over $3000. With the 5DMkII currently at $2500, which is the post introduction deflated price, a newer 5DMkIII will likely sell at least for $500 more than that and then will also have the 'new' camera premium attached to it too.

I am also looking to see what Spring rebates will be offering - should be any day now.

I think my biggest uncertainty is about AF. I have read 7d vs 5DMkII threads and while some do touch upon center point only usage, I would like to hear more.

Jump or step back from the precipice?? What do you all think?

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

sponsored links
Darkwand
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 19, 2011 07:37 |  #2

Canon rumors claim the 5D mk3 will come this year, it will turn 3 years old in September so it's very likley this will happen.

The 5D mk2 has a both worce and better autofocus then your 40D has, which means it's different.
The 7D's AF is a joy to use, but it takes soem getting used to. The Center point is superb but the other points are really good as well.

For me i chose the 7D over the 5D mk2 because of the autofocus flash control and all the other goodies the 7D got to compte with hthe D300s.

Currenty i'm looking to buy a FF body but 9-AF points isn't much, i want to use primes and then i need alot of autofocus points to be accurate at f/1.8 or f/1.4. I've been eyeing the 1ds mk2 but that is getting real old but it has a good AF system.

My thing is that i like to photograph things that move and i needed the 7D for that, i do get envious of the FF image quality at times though.

Adrian My Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, Canon 500D, Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1,8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro, 10-20mm f/4-5,6

Manfrotto 055 CXPRO4 + 498RC2, Manfrotto 410 Junior, Elinchrom: RX1200, 2x BRX250 , Dlite-it 4 and 2, Canon 580EXII

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 19, 2011 07:41 |  #3

I have both 7D and 5DII and they are different. To keep things simple, the AF is better on the 7D, no question.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,807 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 19, 2011 07:42 as a reply to  @ Darkwand's post |  #4

I you will shoot mostly sports, wildlife or other moving tagets...you with either 1DIV or 7D. If you will shoot more stationary targets and/or portrait/studio work, you should consider a FF such as 1DsIII (mega expensive but worth it) or 5DII.

I wish Canon still did refubished 5DIIs in their loyalty upgrade program!!!

I think all of us would love to see a 5DIII and a 1DsIV.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,984 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 19, 2011 07:42 as a reply to  @ Darkwand's post |  #5

When having a camera like the 7D, there's no point in always using the center AF point only. It's not even always possible, since you may want to have your main subject elsewhere than in the center of the image, and you then must have a point that's tracking the subject where you want it to be.
I'm now talking about continuous focusing on moving targets (Servo AF). When taking photos of things that stand still, I was perfectly successful for many years with manual focus only.

Anders

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 19, 2011 07:43 |  #6

I upgraded from the 40D to 7D and the auto focus is a huge improvement, is you are shooting fast moving small objects like birds I found my keeper rate improved dramatically because of this even only using single point focus. If it were only the focus aspect and you are too worried about meg pixels I would go for the 7D nad either save some money for some other bits.

I am sure 30 megapixels would be great but for that would mean a new computer as well

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 19, 2011 07:43 |  #7

wow 4 posts in minute !!

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

NeutronBoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 19, 2011 08:12 |  #8

I shoot fast moving things on occasion, like aircraft and sometimes birds. Most of the time I am shooting things that really don't move much. Focus and recompose is usually not an issue, except when doing the birds. But that is pretty infrequent.

The 5D is a bit of a stretch at the moment, so a 1D is not in the running. If I go FF, then I will need to buy the 16-35 to refstore my UWA lens lineup. I don't use the 10-22 a whole lot, but when I do, nothing else will fit the need.

I wish I could just go but the 7D and catch the 5DMkIII when it comes out. Problem solved!!

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

robtaylor22
425 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 19, 2011 11:45 |  #9

You have to look at what lenses you already own as well and factor that into the equation. The 5D2 as you know won't take any EF-S lenses you have whereas the 7D will. Also look at how the FF vs. 1.6 crop factor affects your lenses and consider that in light of how you like to shoot. You have some good L glass which will work well with either but your 10-22 and 17-70 won't work with the 5D2, is that important to you? It seems to leave a gap at the very wide end. Both cameras have their strengths and both are very capable, the 7D is probably a better all round general camera with a superior AF system but the 5D2 image quality is second to none and gives you a stop or more better high ISO performance, how important is that to you?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,623 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 19, 2011 12:04 |  #10

I use my center AF point about 30-40% of the time at most. It's nice to be able to place the AF point almost exactly (if not directly) over what I want to be focused.

For what I shoot, I cannot justify a 1Ds cost. So I will have to settle/wait for a Canon FF that will provide me with more usable AF other than center point. Hoping 5D3 might be that camera. If not, I'll keep waiting. And even when I do get that FF camera... my 7D's not going anywhere.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

niku2
21 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 19, 2011 15:34 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #11

Another option is, to keep the 40D and buy the 5D mkII.
I think first Canon will replace the 1D series - 1Ds MkIV. I went from 7D to 5D MkII because of my type of shooting, portraits and landscape, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the pictures from 5D.

rockygarcia
390 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 19, 2011 16:18 |  #12

The 5DII focus system is absolutely fine for stationary targets, totally inadequate for moving subjects. 5DII has superior image quality. 7d is amazing at tracking moving subjects.

1DX | 17-40 F4L | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 200 2.8L for sale | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 300 F4L | 100-400L | Kenko Pro 300 1.4x DGX | 2x Canon Tele III | 430EXII

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 19, 2011 17:05 |  #13

rockygarcia wrote in post #11874735 (external link)
The 5DII focus system is absolutely fine for stationary targets, totally inadequate for moving subjects. 5DII has superior image quality. 7d is amazing at tracking moving subjects.

With such a sweeping statement, I can only assume you've never used a 5DII. I used mine exclusively at the Valencia MotoGP last November, and I didn't have any problems with the AF system tracking motorbikes moving at 160+ mph.

To the OP, if you want to upgrade now I can only suggest you look at what is more important to you; full frame, or a well developed AF system. Just don't believe all you read about the AF on the 5DII being completely useless for some situations.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 19, 2011 18:05 |  #14

It's not about the speed I don't care if it goes 200mph an XTi can get the shot...it's the stop and go, left to right, back and forward..that's what exercise the AF system.

Sorarse wrote in post #11874987 (external link)
With such a sweeping statement, I can only assume you've never used a 5DII. I used mine exclusively at the Valencia MotoGP last November, and I didn't have any problems with the AF system tracking motorbikes moving at 160+ mph.

To the OP, if you want to upgrade now I can only suggest you look at what is more important to you; full frame, or a well developed AF system. Just don't believe all you read about the AF on the 5DII being completely useless for some situations.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Spaniard
424 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 19, 2011 19:39 |  #15

Both cameras are for different usage.

Derrick
Burn Money Project : Canon 5DMKII//24L MKII//50L//Speedlite 580 EXII.

sponsored links

4,566 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMkII AF vs 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.