Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 18 Feb 2011 (Friday) 18:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What should be my next upgrade help me spend my money

billmidd
90 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2011 18:47 |  #1

Background:
So 95% of my shooting is of my 9 month old daughter. I've been learning and shooting a lot with my XSi for over a year now. My workhorse setup has been with a Sigma 30 1.4 and 2 off camera speedlites.

My photos have gotten better and better and I'm now delving into CS5 and learning how to touch up my photos.

here is an example of some of the early shots of my daughter I was taking,
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=997907
which is still indicative of the shots I'm taking now. Just need to get some of the more recent ones through post processing.

Now that I'm becoming more serious about the hobby, I'm trying to figure out what the best path is to take my photos to the next level and keep learning, but I'm on a tight budget.

Decision:
#1 Go Full Frame. If I sell off my old body I should have enough funds to get a 5d classic and a 50 1.4. (or a 85 1.8 and 50 1.8) which I've been lusting after to try full frame.

#2 Upgrade Lighting. If I keep my XSi, I would have about $800 to spend on lighting and/or lenses, For lighting I'm thinking this would be a combination of stands, backgrounds, reflectors, diffusers, since I'm not sure how much I'd use a studio strobe in a small house?

#3 Upgrade glass. Not sure what else I would get since the 50mm is often too tight in my small house, and I use f 2.0 - 2.5 ALL the time so the 17-55 2.8 isn't really all that tempting to me. I guess maybe the 60mm macro may be fun or a wide angle lens, just not sure how much I would use them.

Thoughts?

5d, 50 1.4, 50 1.8
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ThirdROC
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 19, 2011 16:29 |  #2

I don't have enough experience to point you to one direction or another, but I wanted to point out another factor to consider is that if you go FF, you can't use your Sigma 30/1.4 (its an EFS lens, FF is EF only, crop cameras like your XSi use EFS or EF). A 50 on a FF would give you a similar view to the 30 on your XSi.

T2i | canon 15-85 | canon 55-250 | canon 50 1.8 | sigma 30 1.4

johnandbentley
943 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 19, 2011 16:50 |  #3

Ok. In the same boat, but taking my sweet time as I get nice results w xsi and new bodies come out all the time. If you have 800 and let's say you got 350 for your xsi to make 1150 budget. Maybe pic up 60d off clp for 800 and an 85 1.8 or even 100 f2 or f2.8 .. might put u up closer to 1200-1250 range, but leaves u w a better camera w/ faster FPS, low lite and better af....and a nice set of primes.

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4 art, sigma 85 f1.4 art

Ryan7490
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 20, 2011 01:47 |  #4

Are you not satified with the shots you're getting with the XSI? I dont really see a reason to upgrade. Maybe get another lens if you really want one.

Nikon D610, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 VRII

(external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 21, 2011 08:41 |  #5

here's a personal thought to share with you. My progression went from 30D to 50D to 7D ... then added a used 5Dc. Full frame is just a different animal altogether. The shots just ooze that look you're probably looking for. In your case, the difference an upgrade to a 5Dc would make would be huge.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

billmidd
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 22, 2011 02:57 |  #6

Thanks for the encouragement snyderman, found a great deal on a local 5d and came home with it tonight... now to get some lenses that actually mount to it :)

5d, 50 1.4, 50 1.8
Flickr (external link)

japearson2
41 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2011 12:38 |  #7

The 50mm 1.4 is sweet and I use it almost exclusively - especially indoors.
Jennifer

The Dedicated Photographer (For Photographers) (external link)
Portrait Website (Jennifer Pearson Photography) (external link)
Follow Me on Twitter (external link)

gottahaveitjen
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 24, 2011 09:21 |  #8

I would say glass, even tho I upgraded to a 50D, I still pull out my xsi when I'm out with the kiddos.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear~ 50D / 450D / 18-55 / 55-250 / 50 1.4 / 85 / 28-135 / 430EX
Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

sunilrlukose
20 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 28, 2011 07:52 |  #9

I used to shoot with my XTI and when my daughter was born I bought a nifty fifty and that setup worked out great. I had pretty good pictures but images were a bit soft wide open, seriously I didn't knew any better and kept thinking it was great. Since then I sold my nifty fifty to a friend and bought 50mm f/1.4, I won't say when stopped down there is huge difference between this two but for f stops 1.4 to 2.8 it's pretty good compared to 50mm 1.8. It works out great indoors and outside too, with a little adjustment in house I can get full body shots on a crop sensor. I had a zoom lens covering 85mm and tried using 85mm to see if I want to go 85mm route instead of 50mm and found out hard to get full body shots in my house and opted to get 50mm. I am no expert but if I had money I would invest in lens then body.

I am pretty happy with the results and you can see in the link below pictures in the first post were taken using 50mm f/1.4 outside with my 2yr old with aperture below f/2 for all of those shots.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1018802

sponsored links

1,663 views & 0 likes for this thread
What should be my next upgrade help me spend my money
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.