Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Jan 2011 (Monday) 17:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you do cloud backup, what kind, how much, etc.?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 07, 2011 06:51 |  #31

Mozy has decided to drop their "unlimited" which isn't very surprising. It was just a matter of when.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 07, 2011 06:58 |  #32

bohdank wrote in post #11793175 (external link)
Mozy has decided to drop their "unlimited" which isn't very surprising. It was just a matter of when.

Not only did they drop unlimited they also rasied their price significantly. Mozy definately do not want photographers as their customers because if you have more than 125 GB (on upto 3 pc's, the limit is 50 GB for one pc) then you are going to pay a hefty price.

Currently I have 810 GB data from 2 pc's. The next renewal would have cost $1680 instead of $210 for 2 years. That is an increase of 800% ! Obviously I am not going to renew.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 08, 2011 00:15 |  #33

I think it's totally fair that Mozy charge more for more storage. There are costs in disks (RAID arrays and tape backups), bandwidth, networking gear, etc, etc. I think their only mistake was advertising unlimited storage to start with.

Their new prices do seem to discourage data hogs, but switching to another unlimited cloud storage system is a fools errand. They'll all go that way eventually, you can't run that service at $5/month unlimited. The service is mostly used by techies, who usually have lots of data. If you want cloud backup, be prepared to pay for it.

Instead of backing up all your raws online how about backing up to two offsite disks, $100 each, and putting 1800px jpeg files onto amazon s3? That way you have a good enough last ditch cloud backup, as well as full raw files available on disk.

I have 500GB of RAW and PSD files, I keep them on three different hard disks in three different locations.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
21,001 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 08, 2011 00:38 |  #34

tim wrote in post #11799446 (external link)
Their new prices do seem to discourage data hogs,

The new prices are DESIGNED to push users with more than 50 GB pr pc or 125 GB for up to 3 pc's out. They do NOT want them as customers. If they did they would have chosen a more gradual price increase and they would have started that a long time ago. It cannot come as a surprice after 5 years that they would require huge amounts of storage when they offer unlimite storage.

but switching to another unlimited cloud storage system is a fools errand. They'll all go that way eventually, you can't run that service at $5/month unlimited. The service is mostly used by techies, who usually have lots of data. If you want cloud backup, be prepared to pay for it.

I am pretty sure most users were skepticin the beginning. I was and basically the main reason I upgraded from the free service to the unlimited was because they were backed by EMC. But anyway Mozy has always just been a convenient offsite backup for me so its not a big loss to me. My current plan run until november and I'll keep my data there until then. If they don't want my money then I can certainly find something else to use them for. Camera gear for example :lol:

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

rcfury
916 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 10, 2011 17:42 |  #35

I dont think those online backup places work very well for photographers.. I think the FASTEST and cheapest way is use a very old computer that you are about to throw out. Put FreeNAS on it and get a few terrabyte drives and raid them.
You'll have a local dedicated storage that will cost you little to nothing.. And the best part is Freenas supports ISCSI so you could use it for active storage for lightroom or all your other systems.

This is what i do.. With almost 10 terabytes (raid 5) of storage that is connected to every computer in the house. I even host 2-3 virtual machines on the storage array which dont even look at the local hard disk on the Host machine. Ok.. im a little bit of a geek. But, its almost the fastest, most cost effective, and safest way on backing up your data.

~Nathan
Gear: Canon 1Dm2, 10D, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L EF-50 1.4, and the Canon 550EX flash
-----
♦ Check out my FLICKR  (external link) (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 10, 2011 23:31 |  #36

rcfury wrote in post #11818178 (external link)
I dont think those online backup places work very well for photographers.. I think the FASTEST and cheapest way is use a very old computer that you are about to throw out. Put FreeNAS on it and get a few terrabyte drives and raid them.
You'll have a local dedicated storage that will cost you little to nothing.. And the best part is Freenas supports ISCSI so you could use it for active storage for lightroom or all your other systems.

This is what i do.. With almost 10 terabytes (raid 5) of storage that is connected to every computer in the house. I even host 2-3 virtual machines on the storage array which dont even look at the local hard disk on the Host machine. Ok.. im a little bit of a geek. But, its almost the fastest, most cost effective, and safest way on backing up your data.

Fire or user error could kill that "backup" instantly. How do you do offsite backups? That's more what this thread is about.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

talz13
93 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 11, 2011 09:05 as a reply to  @ bohdank's post |  #37

CrashPlan.

7D, XSi, Canon 50 1.8, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 430 EX II

dr1ft
284 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 14, 2011 11:53 |  #38

Yeah, I'm pissed off about Mozy's change and will have to consider my options when the account is up for renewal (I signed up with a 2 year plan). I expect my backup set to grow at about 100 GB/year and their tier-pricing right now would cost me $23/month. This is about how much Amazon S3 charges.

Maybe a bank vault with high capacity drives is the way to go. Just terribly inconvenient.

-Vik
http://www.sejvik.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 15, 2011 02:12 |  #39

Two external hard drives in rotation, kept at work or a friends house, will cost you $200-$300 and last years. It's a bit more hassle, but it's fine for me. I have about 2TB to back up so online was never an option.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 19, 2011 19:03 |  #40

talz13 wrote in post #11821922 (external link)
CrashPlan.

same here I cancelled my mozy plan after their ridicolous new plans, crashplan is better and cheaper !

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

ATGC
70 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 25, 2011 09:43 |  #41

CrashPlan (external link) is the way to go. Their software allows you to backup to both an external drive and their cloud service. Backups are encrypted, and they allow infinite versioning, which means every time a file is edited , changed, or deleted, they keep a copy of the file forever. The storage is unlimited.

So, currently I have a local copy on my editing machine's drive, a copy on an external USB drive, and a copy in the cloud. If the PC dies, a quick restore can be done from the external drive, and if the house burns down I can restore from the cloud.

Everyone bellyaching about upload times can send them a seed copy of your pictures on an external drive to get things started. Most areas of the country offer cable internet service with upload speeds 3Mbps or over. You may have to ask for their "business class" service for a small premium that offers faster speeds that are also guaranteed (meaning your contractually guaranteed the speed your paying for).

There really is no excuse for not having an off-site (cloud) backup solution today

Canon 7D | 18-135 STM | 10-18 STM | 50 f/1.8 STM | 55-250 STM

sponsored links

6,368 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you do cloud backup, what kind, how much, etc.?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.