Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-stop Loka looks like a winner

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 18, 2011 04:18 |  #151

Hi Two90kid

The bags excel over long days. I personally test out all of our gear from the first concept to production models. The standard route I take them on is about 6-8 hours of rugged mountain travel.

The key for me is that even after a 3-5 hour tour I still have the mojo to actually snowboard down the run I'm heading to... and then hoof it back home. A good load carrying pack is pretty essential for days like this.

I took my Loka for a 7 hours jaunt two days ago. Here my turn around point.

IMAGE: http://www.modestbike.com/dlp/files/gimgs/17_cimg1624.jpg

I think they will do fine for books. As for the 13inch, I have a 13 and 17. 13 fits the sleeve. 17 fits but not in the sleeve. With ICU in place it holds it in a pretty good position, but I would advise a padded sleeve. My email is below if you have more questions.

Ian

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

sponsored links
twe90kid
124 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2011 15:34 |  #152

Fstop-Ian wrote in post #11866167 (external link)
Hi Two90kid

The bags excel over long days. I personally test out all of our gear from the first concept to production models. The standard route I take them on is about 6-8 hours of rugged mountain travel.

The key for me is that even after a 3-5 hour tour I still have the mojo to actually snowboard down the run I'm heading to... and then hoof it back home. A good load carrying pack is pretty essential for days like this.

I took my Loka for a 7 hours jaunt two days ago. Here my turn around point.

I think they will do fine for books. As for the 13inch, I have a 13 and 17. 13 fits the sleeve. 17 fits but not in the sleeve. With ICU in place it holds it in a pretty good position, but I would advise a padded sleeve. My email is below if you have more questions.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

What's the weight different with Tilopa BC and Loka? Thanks
I'm leaning towards the Tilopa BC as the everyday bag since I like the style more!

Also how do you take care of the color such as Mist Grey? What happens when dirty? How to clean?

JohnJ80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 18, 2011 19:08 |  #153

The Tilopa BC is a LOT bigger than the Loka.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

twe90kid
124 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2011 20:43 |  #154

Tilopa BC

* Volume: 48 Liter / 3,100 Cubic Inches
* Weight: 1795 Grams - 3.95lbs (No ICU)
* Dimensions: 12” x 24" x 10"
* Internal Compartment Dimensions: 12” x 22” x 10”
* Internal Compartment Space Available with Large ICU: 7” tall ½” on each side, extra depth taken by laptop sleeve.
* Torso Length: 18.5”
* Metal internal Frame for support carrying heavy loads.
* Fabric Info: Ballistic Rip-stop Nylon, Abrasion Resistant Nylon Webbing, High Density foam, Heavy Gauge Zippers, YKK Waterproof Zippers, Waterproof Urethane coasted mesh

Loka

* Volume: 37 Liter / 2,260 Cubic Inches
* Weight: 1565 Grams - 3.45lbs (No ICU)
* Dimensions: 12.6” x 23" x 8.5" (60cm x 32cm x 22cm)
* Internal Compartment Dimensions: 12” x 22” x 8”
* Torso Length: 18.5” - Ideal for 5'6" to 6'2" (167cm to 188cm)
* Aluminum internal Frame for support carrying heavy loads.
* Fabric Info: Ballistic Rip-stop Nylon, Abrasion Resistant Nylon Webbing, High Density foam, Heavy Gauge Zippers, YKK Waterproof Zippers, Waterproof Urethane coasted mesh

nevermind, I found the information. for some reason, i still like how the tilopa BC Mist Grey look. when people is looking at that backpack the contrast in color looks better. I don't like that one zipper in the center look from the Loka.

twe90kid
124 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 19, 2011 19:01 |  #155

btw, does anyone have shots of both bags when they are empty? I want to see how thin it is. also preferably empty on someones back! thanks

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 19, 2011 22:12 |  #156

twe90kid wrote in post #11875506 (external link)
btw, does anyone have shots of both bags when they are empty? I want to see how thin it is. also preferably empty on someones back! thanks

There are some great comparison photos in this review:
http://dancarrphotogra​phy.com …tilopa-bc-photo-backpack/ (external link)

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

twe90kid
124 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 19, 2011 23:01 |  #157

alpharon wrote in post #11876405 (external link)
There are some great comparison photos in this review:
http://dancarrphotogra​phy.com …tilopa-bc-photo-backpack/ (external link)

Thanks, I saw those already. Those are all with the backpack full of stuff. I want to see the backpack when there isn't anything inside (no ICU), maybe a book or two.

JohnJ80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 20, 2011 09:22 |  #158

twe90kid wrote in post #11876612 (external link)
Thanks, I saw those already. Those are all with the backpack full of stuff. I want to see the backpack when there isn't anything inside (no ICU), maybe a book or two.

They go almost completely flat. I'm not going to spend time taking a picture of that. Look at the compression straps.

The Loka is considerably smaller than the Tilopa (I have both). The Tilopa is huge.

That pocket in the center back of the Loka is a fantastic idea. You can put a whole lightweight shell in there, gloves and a hat. One of the best ideas I've seen on a pack in a long time.

that said, if you want a book bag, then buy that. This isn't a bag that I'd use for everyday use. It's too nice and too expensive for that. If you want to do that, then buy an insert from mountainsmith or domke and go with that instead. You'll save a ton of money. You don't need a high tech backpack to lug your books around in. this is for off piste skiing or hiking with a camera and some other gear. for a book bag it would be way, way overkill.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

ryan ­ the ­ geek
585 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 21, 2011 08:51 |  #159

Been throught quite a few threads and talked to F-stop on the phone, but does anyone have th exact dimensions of the the bag when its filled with a medium or large ICU? I know they list dimensions on there page, but they are not compressed dimensions. Here is the reason for the retarded question,... I fly each week and spend a fair amount of time on crj 700 and 900, EMB 145s and Dash 8 prop planes and want to see if i can fit it in the overhead space. My current Dakin sequence bag is pretty much a copy of the Loka (layout wise), but I really want the loka for a few specific reasons, 1 being... it has a frame so the hip belt should carry the load much better.

So if anyone wants to bust out a tape measure and accurately measure there bag with nothing in it other then a ICU (large) I would greatly appreciate it. Really only need the depth of the bag, but width would be helpful also.

Guys at F stop were helpful, and think i might have to wait till summer to order the Loka with the "slim" ICU, he told me the dimensions are 4x5x7 (medium) which should be perfect, since i don't shoot a pro body or use a grip.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Fisher Price Kid Tough Camera

Blue (New Version) Bonus 128mb SD Card. :shock:
http://www.ryan-the-geek.smugmug.com/ (external link)

PilotBrad
218 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 13, 2011 16:07 as a reply to  @ ryan the geek's post |  #160

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am going to order a Loka... no a Tilopa BC.... no wait a Loka... but now I am having a hard time deciding on either the Black or Grey Mist color.

This is obviously a hiking bag and it will get get used in some muddy/dirty conditions and I am curious to know how the Grey Mist has held up in actual use; has it shown signs of staining or becoming dirty over time?

Brad Oliver (external link)

AndyNJ
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 13, 2011 16:09 |  #161

PilotBrad wrote in post #12215905 (external link)
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I am going to order a Loka... no a Tilopa BC.... no wait a Loka... but now I am having a hard time deciding on either the Black or Grey Mist color.

This is obviously a hiking bag and it will get get used in some muddy/dirty conditions and I am curious to know how the Grey Mist has held up in actual use; has it shown signs of staining or becoming dirty over time?

Mine hasn't seen much dirt or mud, but as an everyday bag for about 4 months so far, it still looks practically new.

JohnJ80
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 13, 2011 16:16 |  #162

I have a grey mist Loka. It seems to do well against dirt. That said, you can't go wrong with black for that purpose. What I wanted was the Red like in my Tilopa but, alas, they didn't do the Loka in Red. The Red is cool

J

Obsessive Gear List

ryan ­ the ­ geek
585 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 13, 2011 19:52 |  #163

Wife called to tell me there is a big box at the house. Looks like the Loka and 3 ICU's have arrived!! Found a new bag setup on here, guess I can call and cancel my pending order.

Ryan

Cam101
611 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 13, 2011 20:00 |  #164

ryan the geek wrote in post #12217178 (external link)
Wife called to tell me there is a big box at the house. Looks like the Loka and 3 ICU's have arrived!! Found a new bag setup on here, guess I can call and cancel my pending order.

So you're the one that snagged that new Loka in the classifieds!! Great deal!!

Canon 5D MkIV | 600EX-RT
Canon Lenses: 16-35 f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS | 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH55

ryan ­ the ­ geek
585 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 13, 2011 20:27 as a reply to  @ Cam101's post |  #165

;-)a

Ryan

sponsored links

169,264 views & 1 like for this thread
F-stop Loka looks like a winner
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.