Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 15 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Metering Mode For HS Basketball

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2011 09:51 |  #31

SkateSoft wrote in post #11867150 (external link)
No need to be a jerk. He has messaged me and I put him on the right path.

thanks for setting me straight, appreciated. in the future I'll try to really help out on the forums. :rolleyes:

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
STUMP1982
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 18, 2011 12:32 |  #32

namasste wrote in post #11867298 (external link)
thanks for setting me straight, appreciated. in the future I'll try to really help out on the forums. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help. Just bought the camera in September and got some awsome shots during the football season but indoors is a totally different animal. The only way to learn is to use it in the gym then I ask my questions on the forum. If I do not know my exact question it is hard too look it up in the manual. I may get beat up on the fourm but my shots are getting much better..:)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2011 13:06 |  #33

STUMP1982 wrote in post #11868125 (external link)
Thanks for all the help. Just bought the camera in September and got some awsome shots during the football season but indoors is a totally different animal. The only way to learn is to use it in the gym then I ask my questions on the forum. If I do not know my exact question it is hard too look it up in the manual. I may get beat up on the fourm but my shots are getting much better..:)

if you're getting beat up stop and ask if maybe you're just not taking a joke well. I've spent years on this forum and have learned a ton from some of the very best shooters there are. in the process, I got my fair share of crap and it was almost always done in the spirit of fun ribbing. don't sweat it so much man. fyi, I try to give back as much as possible (re-read everything I've taken the time to post back into this thread which has been beaten to death in countless posts over the years and could have simply been searched on). rather than alienate yourself from those that can help by being defensive, I'd say embrace the grief you might get and learn from it. then again, that's just what worked for me. best of luck. ciao.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 18, 2011 14:29 |  #34

STUMP1982 wrote in post #11868125 (external link)

A lot of people went through that.

If you can, find a friend who knows the gear really well and see if s/he will shoot with you.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2011 14:47 |  #35

Was he pushing the DOF button? lolz

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 21, 2011 07:24 |  #36

Stump:

I've read through a lot of advice. The best so far is not to worry about metering, per se, but to setup your camera with basic indoor basketball venue settings and make very minor adjustments based on the amount of light available from gym to gym. Those basic settings are:

Camera in AI Servo, back-button focusing (you're working on that) slow tracking of AI Servo (if your body has that capability) Center Point focus.

Standard, run of the mill lighting in gyms requires: lens aperture set to f/2, shutter set to 1/640 and raise ISO until you have a good exposure. If you're not sure what ISO number is right, check histogram to make sure exposure data shows middle-heavy and you're not seeing data against the left or right side.

Lastly, shooting basketball is a 'set it and forget it' proposition. Get the camera setup properly then concentrate on shooting. I don't change a single camera setting the entire game when shooting the game itself. If I want to shoot the crowd, cheerleaders, bench or coaches, I might stop the lens down a bit and reduce shutter speed. Back at the game, it's 1/640 at f/2 all night long!

Final thought: By doing the above, it takes all of the guess work out of the equation and allows you to concentrate on getting solid shots of the action.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Rudy2112
422 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 22, 2011 16:28 |  #37

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. I have exact same camera, same lens, and same problem. I am new, and trying to figure out as I go. This has been the most beneficial thread I have read. I also cant just read from a book and understand. I have to get me feet wet, experiment first, see first hand. Then I understand what I am reading. I will try some shots tonight at my sons practice using all the recommendations.

Gear List- 7D (gripped), 100-400 4.5-5.6 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS II 85 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, 430exII Website- http://daviddoylephoto​graphy.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 22, 2011 16:49 |  #38

Rudy2112 wrote in post #11893938 (external link)
Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. I have exact same camera, same lens, and same problem. I am new, and trying to figure out as I go. This has been the most beneficial thread I have read. I also cant just read from a book and understand. I have to get me feet wet, experiment first, see first hand. Then I understand what I am reading. I will try some shots tonight at my sons practice using all the recommendations.

It's definitely a good idea to do the reading part but the practicing is what makes it all stick. When I started shooting a few years ago I literally had no idea what I was doing, I just went for it. Trying to shoot an indoor sport with an f/4 lens is a great recipe for insanity! But I learned a lot from my mistakes and how valuable research can be. It can all seem daunting at first but take it slow and one thing at a time and it will all come together. You will also gain a better understanding of photography with the measured approach, my Type A personality method didn't work so well for me. I try to look at each shooting session as an opportunity to learn instead of expecting to figure it out right away. This has made photography much more enjoyable and allowed me to learn much more.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Rudy2112
422 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 22, 2011 21:53 as a reply to  @ yourdoinitwrong's post |  #39

Hey Stump, hope you don't mind me hi-jacking this thread. I hate to start a new one, when I have the exact same equipment, and problems as you. So my shots went better tonight at practice, but still not completely impressed. When I look at 100% view, pictures seem to lack sharpness. Equipment and settings- T2i, 85mm, M-mode, f2, iso-1600, ss-640. I put auto focus to back button (I really like that). Focus on center dot, AI servo, and center weighted avg. Please tell me what you think

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List- 7D (gripped), 100-400 4.5-5.6 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS II 85 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, 430exII Website- http://daviddoylephoto​graphy.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

STUMP1982
THREAD ­ STARTER
87 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 24, 2011 12:51 |  #40

Rudy2112 wrote in post #11896031 (external link)
Hey Stump, hope you don't mind me hi-jacking this thread. I hate to start a new one, when I have the exact same equipment, and problems as you. So my shots went better tonight at practice, but still not completely impressed. When I look at 100% view, pictures seem to lack sharpness. Equipment and settings- T2i, 85mm, M-mode, f2, iso-1600, ss-640. I put auto focus to back button (I really like that). Focus on center dot, AI servo, and center weighted avg. Please tell me what you think

Rudy,

No problem with the Hi-jacking...LOL With your son still being little the center focus looks fine. I set mine on the red dot above center focus. My daughter is 6' tall and I was focusing on chest area and face was off a lot. My shots look a lot better now..

Rudy2112
422 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2011 14:24 |  #41

I experimented with the focus point. This was on the center. I tried a few with it set at above center, but since my son is so small, I had a hard time, and was capturing the background.

12Rock
639 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 25, 2011 14:45 |  #42

I 'm sorry i dont have an answer for you , but do agree the picture is not sharp something is off .

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2011 14:47 |  #43

Rudy2112 wrote in post #11896031 (external link)

Couple of things -- at that SS you are probably seeing camera shake, not an OOF shot, plus at that ISO you will see 'soft' results at 100%, especially if you have underexposed the shot.

For exposure -- unless you have mixed light, e.g. a window with sunlight entering the gym, go M. Watch your histogram, push it more to the right than left regardless of what your meter says.

If you are going to have to crop to 100%, then my next question is what are you using for post-processing?

Shots with ISO noise can be sharpened, but you need to take great care with how much (and which approach).

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

9,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
Metering Mode For HS Basketball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.