Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 20 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 03:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Guide a newcomer

alk ­ bandy
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 20, 2011 03:04 |  #1

Hello seniors
Purchased an SX20. This is my first experience with a digital one.
I have studied the Manual. Clicked first 100+ with Auto. Not disappointing (at least for me). Then checked some other modes. Not bad either. Now I can even retouch a bit in PS-4! I try to restrict myself in subjects who don’t move while I focus or click – I do not use Tripod … lazy.
Everything was ok until I started surfing the photo albums. Good Heavens! How you guys capture such gorgeous photos (even with compacts)? How do you make them so clean and lively?
Let me start afresh more methodically. Please help…
Attaching some of my activities for your analysis and advice.
-Alk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 20, 2011 19:08 |  #2

The first one was shot into the sun with reflections in the water this caused all the subjects to be back lit and black, the 2nd one looks ok, what is your issue with it

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

YARDBURNER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2011 20:56 as a reply to  @ hnikesch's post |  #3

I'm gonna enjoy following this thread.
I'm in the same boat, with the same camera and a 430EXII.

Some stuff I shoot is great and most not.
(I know it's supposed to be that way. Nobody got
to look in Ansel Adams trash cans did they?!?)

Did a ton of 35 stuff for fun in the past but
that was a LONG time ago and now am making the
transition from film ref.# (which I sorta understood) to digi.

Looking forward to any help.

-Rob

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 21, 2011 09:48 |  #4

You must also take into consideration that the shots you are seeing people post are 1 out of a hundred at best. Please tell what you think is bad about some of your shots with the example and I am sure people here will help and explain how it could have been improved.

Hans

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

alk ­ bandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 23, 2011 08:32 as a reply to  @ hnikesch's post |  #5

Thanks Hans for your analysis. The issue with the second picture is - mood.
Let me explain. When the shot was taken, I was almost alone in the park. And so was the chair. My instrument captured the subject but I could not capture the loneliness… unfortunately.
On the contrary, look at the attached one. This was taken when there were at least 50 people around. The structure in the picture is of a thousand year old tomb of a Turkish Ruler. It was difficult to have a snap without any living thing in the frame. But in this case, with a little touch of saturation, the somber feel of a burial place is closer to my expectation … luckily.
In both cases, ambiance aspect of the picture was not in my control.
-Alk

HOSTED PHOTO

alk ­ bandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 23, 2011 08:39 as a reply to  @ alk bandy's post |  #6

Yes Rob
We are in the same boat. I think I need more practice. Do you?
Why not show us the best of your first hundred.
-Alk

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 23, 2011 12:44 |  #7

Well, loneliness might have shown better if you'd shown more of the (empty) surroundings. Composition and technical skills are two different things; you can be taught all technical matters, but even though there are classes and references available in composition (for artists and for photographers) the best way to learn that is to study work you admire and try to analyze why it makes you feel the way it does.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 23, 2011 18:25 |  #8

http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/ (external link)

Digital Photography School is a non camera specific site the has several learning and forum areas. Lots of people with P&S cameras as well as DSLR's. I have lurked there for quite some time for ideas and how-to's

Hans

Hans

alk ­ bandy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 24, 2011 02:11 as a reply to  @ hnikesch's post |  #9

Thanks, I'll check it.

Alk

sponsored links

1,569 views & 0 likes for this thread
Guide a newcomer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.