Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 19, 2011 22:41 |  #976

Ricardo222 wrote in post #11870013 (external link)
(Of course it is spinning...at exactly the right speed to keep one side pointing at us. I always thought it was strange, too...but there you are...that's rotational physics for you!:confused:

Yup, that's rignt. Billions of years ago, the Moon spun at a decent rate and showed all its faces. But the Earth's gravity caused tidal forces in the solid rock (just like the Moon causes our tides) and those forces gradually slowed its rotation until it kept one face always to us so that the forces were minimized.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia (external link), there's a bit of a wobble so that we actually see 59% of the face instead of the expected 50%. Also, the Moon is slowing the Earth down just as we slowed it down, so that eventually we would only show one face to it (except the Sun will have melted us first!).

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

sponsored links
lil_miss
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 20, 2011 01:39 |  #977

Makes a bit of sense Scott.... I love our Powershot S90 for when we cant be assed taking the SLR kit out anywhere.. has full manual controls and takes some pretty cool photos when it wants to..

In other news - a little closer to full time photography here - I'm now working 4 days a week at the day job... got a hellish photographic workload at the moment hoping that will help - far too many beautiful weddings... however we're not complaining.. still loving it & its now coming up 5 years since we kicked things off... :)

A bunch of Canon bits and pieces.

Blog (external link) :: Facebook (external link)

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,180 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 20, 2011 01:40 |  #978

scotttnz wrote in post #11875367 (external link)
So, I'm seriously considering selling all my camera gear getting myself a high end compact, and putting the rest of the money into debt repayment.
In the last year I have taken less than 1500 photos, most of which could have used point and shoot for. That doesn't really justify the money I have tied up.
I've tried to revive my interest, but its not happening.
So if anybody wants any of the gear in my sig, please PM me. Otherwise I think it is going to go on trademe in the near future.

Any suggestions for a good compact would be appreciated too.

Almost sounds like the thread FlyingPete started the other day.

I have always advised others thinking along the same lines as you, not to sell their gear as I believe that they will regret it.

One the 2nd hand market you could probably be looking at $8500 for your current gear. If you ever want to re-invigorate your photography, you would probably have to look at doubling that sum to get to the same situation.

All that being said, I could be interested in an item or two if it came to it :rolleyes:

Paulos75
541 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 20, 2011 02:35 |  #979

Scott, if that's the route that you want to go then I second what Sarah said, the current S95 is a really superb compact, definitely worth a look. No raw support in ACR as yet (well CS4 at least) but that's easy enough to get around.

Cheers, Paul.
If it moves, shoot it. If it shoots back, get a bigger lens.
Gear: A slowly but surely growing list of mainly Canon bits and pieces.
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)Facebook (external link)

tag141
Goldmember
3,240 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 20, 2011 03:10 |  #980

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #11877118 (external link)

And me...and Weka...and Shrimper...and...seems a lot of people have had their interest go.

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,923 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Feb 20, 2011 11:57 |  #981

lil_miss wrote in post #11877113 (external link)
In other news - a little closer to full time photography here - I'm now working 4 days a week at the day job... got a hellish photographic workload at the moment hoping that will help - far too many beautiful weddings... however we're not complaining.. still loving it & its now coming up 5 years since we kicked things off... :)

Congrats!

Makes a bit of sense Scott.... I love our Powershot S90 for when we cant be assed taking the SLR kit out anywhere.. has full manual controls and takes some pretty cool photos when it wants to..

Mark Vuleta wrote in post #11877118 (external link)

I have always advised others thinking along the same lines as you, not to sell their gear as I believe that they will regret it.

One the 2nd hand market you could probably be looking at $8500 for your current gear. If you ever want to re-invigorate your photography, you would probably have to look at doubling that sum to get to the same situation.

All that being said, I could be interested in an item or two if it came to it :rolleyes:

It would be nice to get $8500....but I think that might be optomistic.

Paulos75 wrote in post #11877292 (external link)
Scott, if that's the route that you want to go then I second what Sarah said, the current S95 is a really superb compact, definitely worth a look. No raw support in ACR as yet (well CS4 at least) but that's easy enough to get around.

tag141 wrote in post #11877370 (external link)
And me...and Weka...and Shrimper...and...seems a lot of people have had their interest go.

I think its only natural that some people will move on to other things. I don't want to give up on photography completely, but I'm not the enthusiast I used to be.

I'm considering 4 options:
1) keep the 5D, and maybe just sell off some lenses and stuff.
2) Downsize to a smaller Canon SLR. Maybe a 60D with a general purpose 18-200.
3) One of the mirrorless interchangable lens cameras like the panasonic GF1 or sony NEX.
4) something pocketable like the SX210 or G12

Most likely #3, or possibly a combination of #2 and #4.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,905 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 20, 2011 12:37 |  #982

I know for me it was due to another issue in my life that sapped all my photography desire right out of me.
The thought of selling up did appeal but like its been said I would have regreted it.

Im forcing my self to get out and wife give me a push every now and then :)

Do whats right for you Scott

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 20, 2011 14:45 |  #983

'CANON EOS 5D|BG-E4 Grip|EF17-40 f4 L|EF24-105 f4 L IS|EF 100 f2.8 Macro|580EX|420EX|ST-E2|SIGMA 120-300 f2.8 EX|1.4TC'

I'd be tempted by some of that! If I had any monies.... :(

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

kaypony
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 20, 2011 23:36 |  #984

Potisdad wrote in post #11874563 (external link)
Nice work kaypony, that second one really catches a moment and will be cherished.

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

Sancho wrote in post #11874598 (external link)
Nice work, just a suggestion, try cropping the 2nd one in portrait and getting a much tighter crop, I think it may work well by getting in closer and being even more personal :)

Glad you faced the fear and did it anyway, it's what life is all about, pushing those comfort zones... good on you! And I bet you gained a whole experience point in your photography too! LOL

Thanks to you both. I will definitely have a look at those editing suggestions :) I'm in Newmarket, just off Broadway so fairly central but I also have a car and will travel!

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 21, 2011 01:53 |  #985

scotttnz wrote in post #11878959 (external link)
I think its only natural that some people will move on to other things. I don't want to give up on photography completely, but I'm not the enthusiast I used to be.

Here's a thought- you've taken amazing photos of your family - photos that would not be possible without the gear you have (ie full frame). If nothing else keep the 5D and your favourite portrait lens - you will certainly appreciate having the (ability to take) photos of your kids in years to come.

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 21, 2011 02:11 as a reply to  @ kaypony's post |  #986

kaypony wrote in post #11874413 (external link)
Thank you all for your comments- they were very helpful. A few of the first photos from yesterday.... Lots of faults but I'm hopeful my family will like them anyway.
I'm also now living in Auckland and would love to get out and about with my camera (or without it) a little more so if anyone is planning any outings, I would definitely be keen.

Congrats, looks like you got some good images there

<flameproof suit on>

So, I'm seriously considering selling all my camera gear getting myself a high end compact, and putting the rest of the moey into debt repayment.

In the last year I have taken less than 1500 photos, most of which could have used point and shoot for. That doesn't really justify the money I have tied up.

So if anybody wants any of the gear in my sig, please PM me. Otherwise I think it is going to go on trademe in the near future.

Any suggestions for a good compact would be appreciated too.

I was going to make all sorts of intelligent sounding comments, but they have been said already.
As said, don't rush into it.. but do what you think is right..
I'd like the 1.4 converter.. might be in NZ in March for a few days, so someone needs to organize a BBQ so I meet all you guys.

Sancho wrote in post #11875906 (external link)
That sucks :( I have been there myself the last year. My gear does little more than take product shots for websites and tardme! Again a P&S could do that! I love the art still and the passion has never been far, its a time thing for me. I love getting creative and doing fashion type stuff but simply cannot justify the time it take in PP when I should be working. I have around 200 items sitting in boxes that are not listed, I have about 800 items to get on my website plus 3 other websites for different products altogether that haven't even been started yet! How can i justify spending a bunch of hours on a hobby when I have that in the inbox :| Plus I'd probably get around 15-20K for what I have. Not needing the money at this stage but I have had the thought certainly several time in the last year.

Am hopeing now that I am full time I'll start to catch up on the backlog but it's happening very slowly! Then again I have taken on a bit of a social life again, visiting old mates on a regular basis, got back into indoor cricket, taking a few walks etc instead of 100% living to work. LOL - ooops... dribbled on a tad there :)

I can understand that problem.
My photography is also at a bit of a low at the moment due to lack of time & too many other things going on in my life.

gkuenning wrote in post #11876518 (external link)
Yup, that's rignt. Billions of years ago, the Moon spun at a decent rate and showed all its faces. But the Earth's gravity caused tidal forces in the solid rock (just like the Moon causes our tides) and those forces gradually slowed its rotation until it kept one face always to us so that the forces were minimized.

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia (external link), there's a bit of a wobble so that we actually see 59% of the face instead of the expected 50%. Also, the Moon is slowing the Earth down just as we slowed it down, so that eventually we would only show one face to it (except the Sun will have melted us first!).

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh Were going to die!

Sounds excellent. Cingratulations & hope it all goes well.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,459 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 21, 2011 02:22 |  #987

kaypony wrote in post #11874413 (external link)
Thank you all for your comments- they were very helpful. A few of the first photos from yesterday.... Lots of faults but I'm hopeful my family will like them anyway.
I'm also now living in Auckland and would love to get out and about with my camera (or without it) a little more so if anyone is planning any outings, I would definitely be keen.

that B&W looks great!

btw there's an informal photo shoot at Raglan on Saturday late afternoon/evening if yer interested - pm me for details.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,459 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 21, 2011 02:23 |  #988

akiwi wrote in post #11883125 (external link)
might be in NZ in March for a few days, so someone needs to organize a BBQ so I meet all you guys.

I'll put a beer in the fridge...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 21, 2011 02:26 |  #989

akiwi wrote in post #11883125 (external link)
. might be in NZ in March for a few days, so someone needs to organize a BBQ so I meet all you

Cool! Got some dates to work to?

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,923 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 21, 2011 02:33 |  #990

momentz wrote in post #11883080 (external link)
Here's a thought- you've taken amazing photos of your family - photos that would not be possible without the gear you have (ie full frame). If nothing else keep the 5D and your favourite portrait lens - you will certainly appreciate having the (ability to take) photos of your kids in years to come.

But here's the thing. Kerry-Sue has taken a lot more photos of the kids with here Ixus 80is in the last 2 years because she takes it with her everywhere. The best photos are the ones you actually take, not the ones your camera is capable of, but you left it at home.

Anyway I don't think the capability gap is that big any more when comparing a 5 year old DSLR design like the 5D, with a modern micro 4/3rds or mirrorless aps-c camera like the Sony NEX. Sure, there are compromises like anything in life, but the compromise is not as big as it used to be, plus they have advantages like shooting hidef video a lot better than a 5D, ;) and being much more portable.

My mind is not 100% made up, but I am leaning strongly towards the NEX 5 with the 18-200 superzoom, and picking up the 30mm pancake lens when it comes out later this year for when I want a pocketable camera. The 4/3s system is much more extensive currently, but that will change, and the Sonys are widely reviewed as having by far the best image quality of any currently available mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. They actually have better High ISO performance than the 5D!

Plus I figure I should be able to get the new camera, and have at least a couple of grand left over to reduce debt...or buy some other toys. :oops:

I wonder if people would have the same negative reaction if I was looking at a Canon MIL camera? Shame they don't make one, or have any plans to as far as I can tell.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

sponsored links

2,066,794 views & 1,438 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.