Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Feb 2011 (Monday) 23:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NZ earthquake

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 21, 2011 23:41 |  #1

I hope all our Kiwi friends are ok. It sounds a lot worse than the one last year, even though it was a lower magnitude.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
Smurff
332 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 21, 2011 23:46 |  #2

hey guys,

if you want to follow it, theres some live(ish) fottage here
http://www.heraldsun.c​om.au …ry-e6frf7jo-1226009955454 (external link)

most of the people i know in christchurch are ok, place is destroyed mostly. casulty count atm is confermed at 65 :(

all the best to the people in Christchurch!

-smurff

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 22, 2011 10:00 |  #3

Thoughts and prayers to the people of New Zealand.

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

Dr ­ Lazarus
711 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 22, 2011 10:11 |  #4

Yes, it's pretty bad due to the epicenter being shallower, from what they're saying.

I have a few friends there - one is pregnant, who made it out of her second floor office just in time. Scary stuff.

Flickr (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2011 16:41 as a reply to  @ Dr Lazarus's post |  #5

Details are still very fluid at the moment. What has happened in Christchurch yesterday compare in no way to the 7.1 earthquake in september. Even though the magnitude of the quake is lower (6.3), the shaking was much more (0.8G vs 1.0G). it has overloaded even modern buildings built to very strong earthquake codes. The 6.3 was shallow (about 5km deep), and right under parts of the city. the 7.1 was deeper, and 20-30kms from the city outskirts.

As of a few mins ago - at least 75 bodies have been pulled from rubble so far, expected to go much higher, as there are known bodies that have yet to be retreived.

There are at least 2 major complete building collapses, of 4-7 story buildings. This has trapped many people, and very likely many people have been killed. There are also major damages to other buildings that will probably mean they will have to be pulled down.... just check thisphoto out (external link) (not taken by me). This is a 20 story building built in around 1985.

The historic buildings that faired well in sept, have been massively damaged, to the point that they are currently talking about most may have to be pulled down. The Christchurch Cathedral (_THE_ icon of christchurch) has had massive damage, with the spiral falling. There are reports of people were in the observation point at the time, so there are deaths there, but at this stage it's still too dangerous to look in the rubble. No cries from help coming from here, so hopefully it was quick for anyone caught up in this bit.

The power system - after the 7.1 90% of the city had power back on within 24 hours. This time is at about 50-60% after 24 hours, and they are talking that it will be weeks before it reaches 90+% due to damage to substations.

The phones: Massive congestion as people try to contact each other. Also the companies are warning that a lot of the cellsites are running of battery backup, which will start failing soon. Urging people to use SMS messaging as lowers power needs.

Water System - this took a heavy hit in Sept, but was mostly working within 3-4 days, as major breaks in lines repaired. Reports from the city council - major issues as pumping stations have been destroyed. Some sinking feet into the ground.

Sewer System - like water - was hit hard last time, and was already 2-3 years away from being restored to pre sept quake (but had been patched to get it mostly working). Is now effectively destroyed in a lot of areas. Raw sewage is being dumped into the local rivers / estuary.

Many homes which has some damage from september, biut could be repaired, will now need to be rebuilt.

What I am stating is based on reports from Friends and Family, as through a quirk of technology, I have better communications here in the USA than friends and family have with each other in Christchurch.

If you can - please donate to the Red Cross Appea (external link)l. Note - the website appears to be struggling with load at the moment.

The kiwi thread has reports about most members we knew to be in christchurch as we got hold of them. So far - its been good news of only stuff being damaged, not people.

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Tony-S
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 22, 2011 16:45 |  #6

Wow, it sounds really, really bad. I sure hope that the rescue teams can get there fast.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Raizer
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2011 16:49 |  #7

http://www.stuff.co.nz​/ (external link)

flickr (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2011 16:54 |  #8

Tony-S wrote in post #11894081 (external link)
Wow, it sounds really, really bad. I sure hope that the rescue teams can get there fast.

All the Urban Search and Rescue from NZ are currently in Christchurch. Australia I think has 2 teams in christchurch already, with more on the way. UK / US / Japan teams are in transit.

Full National State of Emergency has been declared a few mins ago (was previously just Christchurch) so better co-ordinate the national resources. Medivac have been occurring to other NZ hospitals so the main chch ones can keep stabilizing people as they come in.

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 22, 2011 23:41 as a reply to  @ pleb1024's post |  #9

Kiwis are tough, caring people.. I'm certain they'll pull together and get over this adversity..

My thoughts are with you..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 22, 2011 23:44 |  #10

pleb1024 wrote in post #11894132 (external link)
All the Urban Search and Rescue from NZ are currently in Christchurch. Australia I think has 2 teams in christchurch already, with more on the way. UK / US / Japan teams are in transit.

Full National State of Emergency has been declared a few mins ago (was previously just Christchurch) so better co-ordinate the national resources. Medivac have been occurring to other NZ hospitals so the main chch ones can keep stabilizing people as they come in.

This is so typical of the NZ/Australian relationship,, helping each other out.. The Kiwis sent a couple of teams to Australia to help out with the recent Queensland floods..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Raizer
Goldmember
1,412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 23, 2011 04:29 |  #11

http://www.theatlantic​.com …ke-in-new-zealand/100013/ (external link)

flickr (external link)

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 23, 2011 08:24 |  #12

Incredible...

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

theague
Mr. Monkey Pants!
10,530 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 23, 2011 14:43 |  #13

Terrible terrible stuff. This is so sad. :(

- Kody

CaptivatedByBeauty
116 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 23, 2011 15:15 |  #14

Hi guys,
We're OK. Thankfully I wasn't working in the centre at the time. I look at where all the damage is, where people have been killed, and know I was in all of those places very recently. I feel very lucky.
As an example, If you look at the pile of stone under where the cathedral spire used to be. I was standing there and inside the cathedral taking pictures of the festival of flowers.
It makes me feel ill thinking about it, and I don't know whether my friends and acquaintances are OK or not.

Steve
CaptivatedByBeauty (external link)
Have: Canon 5D mkII, Canon 60D gripped (DBK), Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM mkII, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II, Canon 1.4x mk II Extender, 1.25/2.5x Angle Finder, Triopo GT-3229X8.C Tripod with B2 head

sponsored links

1,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
NZ earthquake
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.