Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Feb 2011 (Monday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which pistol grip head?

mknabster
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 21, 2011 19:10 |  #1

I'm looking for a new tripod head since my Giottos 3-way pan head mysteriously broke in half :confused:. My professor at school uses the Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol grip and I like the feel to that. Now I was looking at that pistol grip as well as the new updated version 324RC2 pistol grip, or going back to the 3-way pans. 460MG 3D. So does anyone have anything to say over pistol grip vs 3-way pan? If for pistol grip, which would be betterm the 322 or 324? I know the 324 is made of this special type of polymer, and the 322 is magnesium allow I believe, same as the 327RC2, but the 327 is a little more than i want to spend.

- Matt

MK Studios (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 21, 2011 19:24 |  #2

Keep in mind that if you want to shoot action sports, you will need to keep the trigger squeezed a lot, tiring or cramping your hand! The 324RC2 has a squeeze-squeeze action, which resolves the perpetual squeezing issue.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 21, 2011 19:29 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

I never thought about that, though I don't shoot sports all that much, i can see why that could be stressing.

- Matt

My Gear

Jeff ­ Smith
102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 21, 2011 21:05 |  #4

Take a look at the SLIK AF-2100. I really like mine and the main reason I chose it over the Manfrotto is the natural way it feels. It's like grabbing a pistol grip which is a very natural movement and when I need to move the camera it is so easy to handle and I don't even have to touch the camera to do it.

Jeff
Canon 7D gripped | 70-200 2.8L IS | 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM | EFS 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM | 50mm 1.8 II | EFS 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM | Speedlite 580EX

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 21, 2011 21:52 |  #5

That doesn't look like it pivots beyond rotating, does it or am i just not seeing it?

- Matt

My Gear

Wilt
41,805 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 21, 2011 23:10 |  #6

Long, long ago, in my less knowledgeable youth, I tried the Slik AF2100. It was very nice, solid locking (unlike the Bogen equivalent 3265), but it still was not as solid when the camera was in Portrait orientation...like the Bogen 3265 it had the design shortcoming that the weight was up, high above the ball center, so the weight of camera and heavy lens could put a lot of torque on the ball, and while it did not slip in that position (unlike the Bogen 3265), it did require compensation for initial sag. The newer Manfrotto 322 and 324 do not put the weight atop a long lever arm like the 3265 does. Another thing that I did not like was the Slik AF2100 QR plate was compatible with nothing else.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 21, 2011 23:16 |  #7

I used to have a Manfrotto pistol grip and liked it for wildlife photography where I often needed to make large adjustments quickly. My one concern was that it seemed less stable due to the large distance between the apex of the tripod and the bottom of the camera, sort of like having the center column extended.

-howard

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 22, 2011 12:12 |  #8

Matt, I have tried both configurations of Manfrotto pistol grip heads and found that neither was as convenient to use or nearly as solid (free of creep with the camera off to the side) as my 488RC2 ball head. They are also rather heavy and bulky when packing them or carrying them in the field.

My recommendation is to stick with a decent quality ball head for still photography. The Manfrotto 498RC2 even has a friction control knob that my 488RC2 does not, and that would be quite useful at times.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 22, 2011 12:46 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #9

I have the 322 and I can say that I wish I had gone with a regular ballhead. My thinking was that since I do a lot of sports the pistol grip style would be convenient. But now that I have gotten into it more, I never use a tripod for sports! I have two reasons why I don't care for this particular grip. The first is that the camera doesn't always stay in the position where it was when I release the grip. I'm not talking creep, but a small movement and then it stays put. It's something I can deal with but still irritating. The second issue is with the adjustable friction. Adjust it tight enough that you are sure the camera won't move and the pressure required to squeeze the grip can get tiring. Adjusting it to the point where the squeeze pressure is fine and you end up with camera movement. I don't use my tripod much so I'm not going to go out and buy a ballhead right now but I do wish I had chosen differently.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Jeff ­ Smith
102 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 22, 2011 12:47 |  #10

Matt, it will pivot. All you have to do is spin the collar around so the slot is in line with where you want to pivot. It works very easily. As far as it no being as solid in portrait orientation I have had my 7D with a 70-200 lens on and I don't notice any creep. I do agree about the QR plate not being compatible with anything else. I wish it was a generic option but I like the head enough to not matter.

Jeff
Canon 7D gripped | 70-200 2.8L IS | 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM | EFS 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM | 50mm 1.8 II | EFS 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS USM | Speedlite 580EX

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 22, 2011 12:50 |  #11

I have the 327RC2 joystick head. it pivots as well as you can configure it for left or right-handed use.

I have mine setup for left-handed operation so I can use my left hand for maneuvering, while still keeping my right hand on the shutter.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 23, 2011 08:17 |  #12

Alright guys thanks for your opinions and experiences. I'll do some more research and probably decide next week what to get. Thanks!

- Matt

My Gear

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 23, 2011 08:46 |  #13

mknabster wrote in post #11897963 (external link)
Alright guys thanks for your opinions and experiences. I'll do some more research and probably decide next week what to get. Thanks!

Matt, if at all possible you should go to a decent camera store and try out the various options. Over the years, I have saved a ton of money by doing that and NOT purchasing those items that I would have wound up shelving rather quickly.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

mknabster
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 23, 2011 08:49 |  #14

Yea I know there is one camera shop in my current area, so maybe i'll go check it out tomorrow after work. My professor does have a pistol grip and I was able to try it out, which is why i was inquiring about it. Bu I'll go and see i that store has anything good.

- Matt

My Gear

Wilt
41,805 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2011 09:55 |  #15

mknabster wrote in post #11898124 (external link)
Yea I know there is one camera shop in my current area, so maybe i'll go check it out tomorrow after work. My professor does have a pistol grip and I was able to try it out, which is why i was inquiring about it. Bu I'll go and see i that store has anything good.

Check that...

• when the pistol grip is sideways (camera in Portrait orientation), that the head is not easily slipped from its 'locked' position with just a bit of hand pressure.
  • when the pistol grip is put into sideways (camera moved to Portrait), that when you release the trigger you notice how much sag you need to compensate for, in order for the camera and lens to settle into your desired alignment with a vertical/horizontal feature in the scene

sponsored links

2,504 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which pistol grip head?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.