Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 24, 2011 11:28 |  #1816

ben_r_ wrote in post #11905623 (external link)
This is why in my review I mentioned to call and talk to Markins immediately after you place your order to request they not Loctite the clamp to the head...

Youll probably have to send it back and have them remove it since they use the permanent Red Loctite. Or heat it with a blow torch and vise clamp it down and try to get it off yourself.

I just ordered from Markins and spoke to Steve (was it Steve?), and he mentioned that if you order the black one, you do have the option to have it shipped without loctite, but if you wanted the red q3t, they won't do it... it will ship out with the loctite....

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 24, 2011 11:48 |  #1817

tagakweens wrote in post #11905727 (external link)
I just ordered from Markins and spoke to Steve (was it Steve?), and he mentioned that if you order the black one, you do have the option to have it shipped without loctite, but if you wanted the red q3t, they won't do it... it will ship out with the loctite....

Ah, yea thats what Ive been hearing. Bobcat didnt specify whether he had bought a colored or the black one. Either way it looks like itl have to be sent back for removal...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Adam ­ Jones
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 24, 2011 12:01 |  #1818

itsmejson wrote in post #11902057 (external link)
negative squadron leader lol. I'm still deciding between the markins and pc-33ns, however just recently kerry @ reallybigcameras told me about photoclams new pc-34ns. So i plan to hold off until he gets more info on it.

what about you?

Sticking with the PC-30N for now. :-) But since I added a grip and changed bodies, it might not be sufficient anymore...

Anthony | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | www.purplecollarphoto.​com (external link)

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 24, 2011 12:25 |  #1819

ben_r_ wrote in post #11905855 (external link)
Ah, yea thats what Ive been hearing. Bobcat didnt specify whether he had bought a colored or the black one. Either way it looks like itl have to be sent back for removal...

I was thinking of getting the rrs clamp, but since it was shipped out with the markins QR, I figured, what the hell, I'll stick with it... and since it's adjustable (the markins qr clamp), I did get the rrs plate... i'm still debating if I should've (splurge) for the L bracket.... but the price difference is just too much (rrs plate = $55 / rrs L bracket = $183)... hopefully someone here sells the plate for cheap...

John.B
54 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 24, 2011 13:16 |  #1820

tagakweens wrote in post #11905727 (external link)

-?

They must come that way from the factory?

Or maybe the remaining stock of red ballheads already had the clamps pre-attached with red loctite?

I notice the blue ballheads are no longer available... Were the colors a limited run?

"No single raindrop considers itself responsible for the flood." -- Anonymous

PKBK
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 24, 2011 13:38 |  #1821

Has the 1541T been discontinued? As of a few days ago it was backordered on B&H and Adorama but now B&H says it's discontinued (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …T_Traveler_6X_C​arbon.html (external link)) and Adorama no longer lists it.

Also, this is my first post! : )

Pat ­ B
56 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 24, 2011 13:42 as a reply to  @ PKBK's post |  #1822

It's no longer on the Gitzo.com site. It shows a 1542T.

Gear List

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 24, 2011 14:18 |  #1823

PKBK wrote in post #11906486 (external link)
Has the 1541T been discontinued? As of a few days ago it was backordered on B&H and Adorama but now B&H says it's discontinued (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …T_Traveler_6X_C​arbon.html (external link)) and Adorama no longer lists it.

Also, this is my first post! : )

I was able to order mine last week, and the day after I ordered it, the status changed to "not in stock", now they changed it to "discontinued"....

just check everyday, sometimes people return it and they put it back as "available"

good luck...

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2011 16:26 |  #1824

Adam Jones wrote in post #11905936 (external link)
Sticking with the PC-30N for now. :-) But since I added a grip and changed bodies, it might not be sufficient anymore...

gotcha, that's what i don't want to have to do in the future lol trying to make sure i get it right the first time as well as be happy w/ whichever i choose.

whats the difference between the 1541 and 1542?

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

dog ­ rocket
931 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2011 17:37 |  #1825

:p

Randy...

mr_ecktid
76 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 24, 2011 19:38 |  #1826

Does anyone know how to remove the screw that the mount plate screws onto? I'm trying to take the center column out but the mount plate screw won't come out...the mount plate comes right off but the screw is stuck in the column...do I PULL it out or try to UNSCREW it?

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Canon 6D - Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon 70-200 f4L IS f4, Canon 50 f1.8, 580ex II - Cactus v4s - Fastpack 250, Gitzo & Markins Q3T

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2011 19:46 |  #1827

you would need to unscrew it. you can see from the pic above that, you'll need a small wrench

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
Flickr (external link)

mr_ecktid
76 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 24, 2011 19:47 |  #1828

ahhh ok thank you

Canon 6D - Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon 70-200 f4L IS f4, Canon 50 f1.8, 580ex II - Cactus v4s - Fastpack 250, Gitzo & Markins Q3T

itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 24, 2011 19:50 |  #1829

np;) i was trying to figure it out too when i first got mine i kept unscrewing the mount plate lol

Flickr (external link)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2011 08:46 as a reply to  @ itsmejson's post |  #1830

Looking at the specs on the two, the 1542 is 1.5 cm longer closed, has a 9 cm taller max height (3.5 cm taller w/o column) minimum height is 4.5 cm higher, and the max load is one kg less. This is an improvement???

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

sponsored links

707,071 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.