Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who needs family and personal portraits..?

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2011 10:44 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

Is obvious for family portraits, it is usually a new, young family with little children. Or sometimes during a large family gathering with all relatives and grand children. What about personal portraits? Who needs them? I am sure no one would hang their own portrait in his or her room.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
aebrown
Maybe the next victim
1,285 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 24, 2011 10:45 |  #2

Models who are trying to do advertising and create a portfolio?

-Aaron Brown :D
1D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 35L, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 580 EX II
Where to goandWhat to do (external link) in the Pacific Northwest
My Flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2011 10:51 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

aebrown wrote in post #11905416 (external link)
Models who are trying to do advertising and create a portfolio?

ah...yes... head shots too. This goes with acting students as well....

Facebook (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2011 11:30 |  #4

High school seniors, people needing them for business purposes (such as realtors), hairdressers building their portfolio of their different work (obviously they would want a photo of a client whose hair they did), models building a portfolio, executives for the company newsletters and what not, people wanting nice profile photos for web sites (such as dating sites or business sites), older couples, engagement photos, wedding portraits, make up artists, and the list goes on :)
IME....kids are the real money makers though and they are much easier than weddings....sometimes ;) At least with kids, if they don't co-operate and it doesn't work out, you can always come back and try again :)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,775 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 24, 2011 11:45 |  #5

TooManyShots wrote in post #11905406 (external link)
Is obvious for family portraits, it is usually a new, young family with little children. Or sometimes during a large family gathering with all relatives and grand children. What about personal portraits? Who needs them? I am sure no one would hang their own portrait in his or her room.

Hermits don't need their portraits taken. Selfish people don't need their portraits taken. But anyone who has someone who loves him does.

The portrait is not for you, it's for the people who love you. It's for the people who love you now, just the way you are, and the people who will love your memory 100 years from now, the way you were.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2011 11:49 |  #6

I think 'need' is the wrong word.

In the case of aspiring models, it is vanity, self-importance or a naive belief that s/he is pro model material.

In that case, they 'want' the shots.

Find the local 'modeling' schools; most are just fronts for portfolio photography sales. Sign up as a photog with them.

(Maybe not true outside the USA, but this I have seen over and over again here)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2011 12:03 |  #7

S.Horton wrote in post #11905877 (external link)
I think 'need' is the wrong word.

In the case of aspiring models, it is vanity, self-importance or a naive belief that s/he is pro model material.

In that case, they 'want' the shots.

Find the local 'modeling' schools; most are just fronts for portfolio photography sales. Sign up as a photog with them.

(Maybe not true outside the USA, but this I have seen over and over again here)

Wow...did you get beat up by an aspiring model or something? ;)

I think everyone here understands that portraits are not an actual need but a want....as with most things in our life.

TopHatMoments
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 24, 2011 12:04 |  #8

I have a few families that are booked until otherwise notified, for yearly Family Portraits.
The family portraits come first, then each do a few solo. Above and beyond the senior and other shoots. ( was there idea )

Children through young adult want personal portraits, for mommy, gran mama, grampa, uncle, aunt,
Girlfriends, boyfriends, the list could be added to all day long.

Canon to PhotoShop, “Beam me up”! LR3 set course for CS5, Warp speed 64!___ ((dpp___/==***^***

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2011 12:08 |  #9

jra wrote in post #11905944 (external link)
Wow...did you get beat up by an aspiring model or something? ;)

I think everyone here understands that portraits are not an actual need but a want....as with most things in our life.

Married one, and have nieces who fell for the same scam, plus children of friends who did as well.

I also know a former French model who was pretty famous, so her stories are much worse. Photography scams in that business are the non-sleazy end of the spectrum.

Just sayin', if you want to make money, get affiliated as a shooter for the 'aspiring' model spammers.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 24, 2011 12:38 |  #10

I've shot for families with new babies, first birthday, etc. They have them hanging on their walls, etc. Pay wasn't all that great, but it depends on your target audience. My co-worker had a NYC (as in Manhattan) photographer take photos of his 1 year old daughter and some family shots at Central Park and was charged "Manhattan prices" I think he paid $800 for 1-2 hours of work, a handful of prints and a handful of JPEGs. Ouch. So it's just a matter of demographics.

I of course have shot for family and friends too, and they have photos hanging on the wall. I don't know about an individual portrait of an adult though. That seems a bit narcissistic!

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2011 13:08 |  #11

If you had parents or in-laws like mine you quickly realize that a personal portrait and a family portrait are not only mandatory - they may just save your life!

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 24, 2011 15:55 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

anothernewb wrote in post #11906301 (external link)
If you had parents or in-laws like mine you quickly realize that a personal portrait and a family portrait are not only mandatory - they may just save your life!

I am still single but....you never know.... :) I will keep that in mind...

Facebook (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 26, 2011 11:57 |  #13

Portraits are often given to family members. Parents get a portrait made of the 2 of them and give them to their adult children. Same goes for portraits of a school age child where the parents want something better than a 20 second school portrait.

Anyone that knows the value of a portrait will want a portrait.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2011 09:23 |  #14

What about personal portraits? Who needs them? I am sure no one would hang their own portrait in his or her room.

I am my own wallpaper. I'm that pretty.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2011 09:25 |  #15

On a more serious note, it's not always about the prints themselves. Sometimes, a woman will have a sexy photo session just to feel good about herself. She'll get dolled up and have pictures taken for the same reason she'll go to a spa and get a mud bath.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

2,039 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who needs family and personal portraits..?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.