Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 19:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grip 101: Show your booms and grip hardware in action!

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 13, 2011 15:27 as a reply to  @ post 11829733 |  #91

Here's another one of my favorite configurations using the Avenger A5017 roller stand. Using it this way keeps it balanced very nicely with the arm and mounted light and modifier close to the center axis but gets the strobe on a drop down pin and allows for greater downward angles.

This is my 5017 fully loaded. All my stands have a Superclamp with a hook for a power cord and all have a Superclamp with a Pocket Wizard Plus II ready to go.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 15, 2011 09:57 |  #92

Looks good Robert.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

chimpychomps
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 15, 2011 13:46 as a reply to  @ post 11829733 |  #93

This is Manfrotto 420B (external link). I only had this for about a week and then changed it for a 420CSU (external link) - which is much more robust and much heavier - but the same size and reach as the 420B.

In the 8 months of use so far I find that I really like the ability for it all to telescope into each other and pack away to a one-piece total length of 115cm. A nice piece of kit.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2011 01:58 |  #94

For this one
http://www.adorama.com​/MT339567.html (external link)

do i need this or will I be able to mount up a strobe?
http://www.filmandvide​olighting.com/mamafi38​.html (external link)

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2011 06:58 |  #95

sigma pi wrote in post #11910452 (external link)
For this one
http://www.adorama.com​/MT339567.html (external link)

do i need this or will I be able to mount up a strobe?
http://www.filmandvide​olighting.com/mamafi38​.html (external link)

The strobe probably would be able to be mounted, but from what I've read here I think the drop pin would give more versatility. Rob (TMR Design) commented about that back a while in one of his posts. You might see if Rob or others with more experience comment about the "Magic Finger" you linked too - it looks different than others that have been shown - maybe there are better choices.

Kevin

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 25, 2011 07:46 |  #96

Sigma wants the Magic Finger because he knows that it attaches correctly to elinchrom strobes without the crooked strobe issue you have with the Avenger Swivel Pin. But he should also know that its a lot less expensive at B&H :lol:.

Also, Sigma, why not just get that Cheetah C-stand for $100, it comes with a 50" extension arm (instead of 40) and two grip heads, and has a removable turtle base.

Dave Jr - MN

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 25, 2011 07:57 as a reply to  @ Dave Jr's post |  #97

The magic finger and the drop down pin work well with the Elinchrom receptor.

Depending on how they are used you can take some of the stress off the swivel mount of the strobe and when used with arms and grip heads they allow for creating offsets to get the strobe and modifier away from the center axis of the stand, which ultimately allows for greater angles and the ability to tilt the modifier further forward then you could with the strobe mounted directly to the baby pin that's on axis.

Robert

jffuerte
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2011 09:21 |  #98

Rob, which superclamps are you using for your A5017 PWs and power cords? Thats a great idea!

-Jerel
Instagram (external link)
Fuerte Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2011 09:26 as a reply to  @ jffuerte's post |  #99

Dave Jr wrote in post #11911160 (external link)
Sigma wants the Magic Finger because he knows that it attaches correctly to elinchrom strobes without the crooked strobe issue you have with the Avenger Swivel Pin. But he should also know that its a lot less expensive at B&H :lol:.

Also, Sigma, why not just get that Cheetah C-stand for $100, it comes with a 50" extension arm (instead of 40) and two grip heads, and has a removable turtle base.

Because I didn't know about the cheetah :lol: any link to it? I like to over research but I got to get a lot of stuff ordered today :(

The only place that sells it is cheetah?

kfyount wrote in post #11911004 (external link)
The strobe probably would be able to be mounted, but from what I've read here I think the drop pin would give more versatility. Rob (TMR Design) commented about that back a while in one of his posts. You might see if Rob or others with more experience comment about the "Magic Finger" you linked too - it looks different than others that have been shown - maybe there are better choices.

TMR Design wrote in post #11911203 (external link)
The magic finger and the drop down pin work well with the Elinchrom receptor.

Depending on how they are used you can take some of the stress off the swivel mount of the strobe and when used with arms and grip heads they allow for creating offsets to get the strobe and modifier away from the center axis of the stand, which ultimately allows for greater angles and the ability to tilt the modifier further forward then you could with the strobe mounted directly to the baby pin that's on axis.

sweet! Any drop down pin you recommend?

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 25, 2011 09:38 |  #100

jffuerte wrote in post #11911593 (external link)
Rob, which superclamps are you using for your A5017 PWs and power cords? Thats a great idea!

I use the Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp (external link). You can also get the clamp without the stud (035) if you don't need or want it. Then I use the Manfrotto 039 U-Hook (external link).

For the drop down pin I'm using the Avenger E700 Baby Drop Down (external link).

Robert

jffuerte
648 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2011 09:51 |  #101

Thanks Rob for the link. Pi, I have the E700 too and works great.

-Jerel
Instagram (external link)
Fuerte Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2011 10:21 |  #102

TMR Design wrote in post #11911678 (external link)
I use the Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp (external link). You can also get the clamp without the stud (035) if you don't need or want it. Then I use the Manfrotto 039 U-Hook (external link).

For the drop down pin I'm using the Avenger E700 Baby Drop Down (external link).

jffuerte wrote in post #11911761 (external link)
Thanks Rob for the link. Pi, I have the E700 too and works great.

Thanks you two!! looks like I will give mathews my own magic middle finger :lol: a lot more reasonable thanks for your input!

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 25, 2011 10:27 |  #103

TMR Design wrote in post #11911678 (external link)

Rob, I thought that drop down pin (E700) had the issue with the crooked eli strobe, no?

Dave Jr - MN

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 25, 2011 10:35 |  #104

sigma pi wrote in post #11911620 (external link)
Because I didn't know about the cheetah :lol: any link to it?

Link to Tetrode's comparison of the Cheetah to the Avenger 2033D

Link (external link) to the Cheetah kit with 50" extension arm and 2 grip heads (man you are lazy :lol:)

I bought the Cheetah kit and am very pleased with it.

Dave Jr - MN

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 25, 2011 10:38 |  #105

Dave Jr wrote in post #11911988 (external link)
Rob, I thought that drop down pin (E700) had the issue with the crooked eli strobe, no?

I don't have any problem with my E700's and Elinchrom's. Good solid fit.

Robert

sponsored links

259,424 views & 1 like for this thread
Grip 101: Show your booms and grip hardware in action!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.