Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 05:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who upgraded from a 85 1.8 to a 85 1.2L or downgraded from a 85 1.2L to a 85 1.8 ?

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
12,211 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 24, 2011 19:04 as a reply to  @ post 11908197 |  #16

Sigma 85mm 1.4 is the best of all of them-- If you can get a good copy. I had an 85mm 1.8 loved it, wanted an 85mm1.2,,,couldnt justify the price,,sigma was the best of both worlds but it took 2 tries. The sigma 85 is just a killer lens and cant be beat for the money.......and im a die hard canon guy

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

luant16
424 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 27, 2011 07:34 |  #17

i recently acquired 85L, and i still have 85 1.8 till now (prob will give it to my bro :D). One thing i notice when i tried 85L, 85L focus much slower than 85 1.8 and cannot focus as close as 85 1.8, doesnt mention its more heavy.

IMHO The 85L is slightly sharper than 85 1.8 at the same aperture, but the color it produces is better.

fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 27, 2011 10:29 |  #18

I've owned both the Canon 85mm f/1.8 and the Canon 85mm f/1.2MkII... they quite different and depending on what you want to do more money doesn't get you the best lens.

If you want a general all around good performer get the f/1.8 version hands down... it's sharp, focuses fast and is built pretty well. I kind of wish I still had this lens I think it's the best bang for the buck for a portrait or wedding photographer, or a person who does indoor sports photography.

If you are a wedding or portrait photographer and you wanting silly buttery shallow DoF effects and plan to use the lens at f/2 or below almost all the time, and can justify the massive price increase (meaning you should be making money from your photos that should cover the cost of the lens) then get the f/1.2L

I haven't used the Sigma 85mm f/1.4, it gets pretty great reviews... My beef with Sigma is that their copy to copy quality is seriously lacking across their range of lenses. You might need to go through 2-3 lenses to find a decent one, and then when you do have a good copy it can go soft and need to get sent back in to get re-calibrated. I'm glad that Sigma has decided to get a bit more serious with their 50mm offering and that the 85mm builds on that... but I still want to see a bit more of a track record with the quality of the lenses. But with the Sigma's price being half that of the 85mm f/1.2L I would give it a look if I were in the market for an 85mm lens.

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

River ­ Studio
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 27, 2011 11:47 |  #19

We sold our Canon 85mm f1.2 L Mk.II lens due to the slow af and the horrible manual focussing. Yes the results are beautiful but the lens is big, heavy and quite horrid to use.....expecting some flack for that comment ;-)a

Dave & Caroline.
www.river-studio.com (external link)

ben805
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 27, 2011 14:19 |  #20

went from 85 1.8 to 85L II, I shoot mainly portraiture so the upgrade was worthwhile to me. I can live with slower AF but the 85L II has better contrast and saturation, and most importantly...f/1.8 wasn't fast enough, I tend to use f/1.2~1.4 alot and sometime wish I could go down to f/1.0. Mine is wicked sharp at f/1.2 in the center too. I would never go back to the 85 1.8, EVER! :D

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who upgraded from a 85 1.8 to a 85 1.2L or downgraded from a 85 1.2L to a 85 1.8 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.