Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soft Images 7D

stmarcink
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 10:21 |  #1

Yes! Another thread about soft images. I am quite new to photography and hesitate to ask this question but honestly believe this isn't user error. Here's the question: When I crop an image, on the camera display, it isn't tack sharp. If I lock the mirror or use live view and shoot the same image I get beautiful sharp 100% crops with deeper color tones as well. The edges of the "lines" in the ones without MLU or LV appear to be fuzzy. One test performed this morning used these settings in the bright snow covered scene. 7D with 70-200 2.8, IS on, hand held, 1/1600 F2.8 ISO100, one shot, single shooting, evaluative metering auto WB, auto focus. I have no problems with the camera focusing. If I mount it to a tripod and perform the same test(with IS off of course, and timer on) I get the same results. Every lens I own is giving me the same results. Any suggestions?

A bit of history about me:
I started off with a T2i less than a year ago and built up some good zoom glass and basic knowledge of photography. I wanted the faster FPS for sports and wildlife and the weather sealing properties for the same reasons so purchased a used 7D. I've had the 7D for a few weeks now and have mainly been concentrating on becoming familiar with all the dials and settings. Now that I'm comfortable with the camera itself I have taken to shooting with it. Right away I notice that when cropping the image they aren't tack sharp. I tested my lenses, 24-70, 70-200 2.8, nifty fifty and 100-400 on the T2i and was disappointed that it was sharper at 100% crop when compared to the 7D with identical settings shooting the same subjects at the same time.

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,953 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 28, 2011 10:26 |  #2

post up an example pic of what your talking about.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 28, 2011 10:31 |  #3

gjl711 wrote in post #11929269 (external link)
post up an example pic of what your talking about.

As above and what focus point/focus zone were you using?

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

stmarcink
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 10:49 |  #4

Manual Select Single Point AF.....working on a test shot to post right now.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2011 11:02 |  #5

I think I know what you're talking about. It happens to my 7D occasionally. Curious about your test shots.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

buy2ls
530 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2011 11:03 |  #6

Not for nothing what type of monitor are you using? my images were soft on my 22" LG and tack sharp on my iMac, go figure. JM2C

Sony A7 MKII, Sony A&& MKII, Sony A6000, Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8, Sony Zeiss 16-35mm F4, Sony Zeiss 24-70mm F4, Sony 70-200mm G F4, Tamron 70-300mm A mount, Canon 7DMKII, Canon 100-400mm L IS

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 28, 2011 11:06 |  #7

Sounds like a focus issue if you are getting fine results with Live View focus and consistently softer results with regular AF. Can you shoot a test target to evaluate for front/back focus? Same target shot with LV and usual AF would be best. This sticky thread has links to all instructions needed What to do if you suspect a focus problem

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

stmarcink
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 11:33 |  #8

I'm not sure what's going on? I set up a light and a white back ground and my tripod and I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the shots now! Yet my one shot, that I've now deleted, taken out of the back door this morning was noticeably sharper in LV when cropped. I will keep playing with test shots.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2011 11:39 |  #9

here is an idea. When you took that backdoor shot, was warm air escaping from your house while you were taking it? Sometimes in the winter when you take pictures from the door looking outside, the heat flowing from your house can cause softness in certain cases. I've experienced that many times when shooting backyard birds out of my window in the winter. Some shots come out sharp, some not so sharp due to the heat shimmer. Of course this is more applicable when you use tele lenses, the shorter the FL the less your pics are affected.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

stmarcink
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 12:28 |  #10

Thanks for your replies. I have no choice at this point but to chalk this up as user error? Maybe camera shake or something else? I can not for the life of me duplicate what I've been having problems with for days now. Every shot I've taken since starting this thread is tack sharp at 100% crop. I tried every lens I own and they all seem good both on tripod and handheld. I was having the issue so tried back button focus, no improvement, posted the thread, switched back to shutter button focus and it seems good. Could I have re set or recalibrated the shutter button focus some how by turning it off and then back on? Still learning!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,766 posts
Gallery: 1687 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 28, 2011 13:22 |  #11

I think what happened is your 7D got scared that you're reporting it to POTN masses for under-performing, so it finally straightened its act and is now performing as it should.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

stmarcink
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 13:32 |  #12

jwcdds wrote in post #11930293 (external link)
I think what happened is your 7D got scared that you're reporting it to POTN masses for under-performing, so it finally straightened its act and is now performing as it should.

:lol::lol::lol:

stmarcink
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 13:42 |  #13

Found some pics when I compared the 7D to the T2i. The first one is the T2i and the second the 7D not cropped at all.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1100.photobuck​et.com …20/stmarcink/IM​G_5268.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1100.photobuck​et.com …20/stmarcink/IM​G_3637.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,766 posts
Gallery: 1687 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 28, 2011 14:30 |  #14

you shoot jpg or raw? if jpg, are you shooting the same picture style w/ the same contrast and sharpening?

guess you could also try to determine whether the lens is front/backfocusing slightly on the 7D.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

stmarcink
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 21:15 |  #15

Both cameras in RAW

sponsored links

10,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soft Images 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.