Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Feb 2011 (Monday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

On the whole, just how unreliable are Radio Shack cables?

John ­ Schell
817 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2011 10:40 |  #1

For my PW Plus II's to Alienbee setup, I have two 1/8 to 1/8 mono 6' cable (a shorter length was not available).

I bought two. One works great. The other, purchased a week later, eh, not so much. In fact, not at all.

I can't see that this is an AB or PW issue, so I have to assume it's with the cable.

Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks.

Website (external link) || Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
TTk
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 28, 2011 10:49 |  #2

You do get now and then the odd cable that fails, sometimes it's the solder joint that fails or a break in the wire, just send it back for a replacement..

Terry.:cool:
http://www.terrykirton.co/ (external link)
http://www.ttkphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
http://www.langtoftpho​tography.com/ (external link)

(external link)

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2011 10:51 |  #3

I've only purchased two 1/8" to 1/8" cords from Radio Shack and have had no problems with them what so ever. However, mine were the 6 inch cords, not 6 feet. Try the 6 inch cord and see how that works for you.....

MARK

John ­ Schell
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2011 10:57 |  #4

The Loft Studios wrote in post #11929398 (external link)
I've only purchased two 1/8" to 1/8" cords from Radio Shack and have had no problems with them what so ever. However, mine were the 6 inch cords, not 6 feet. Try the 6 inch cord and see how that works for you.....

Just ordered four from Lon at Flashzebra. I've purchased things from him in the past and, if nothing else, he knows what I'm talking about when I say PocketWizard, Alienbee.. etc.

But seriously.. Radio Shack used to be the premiere place for electronics.. Now, they were more interested in selling me a cell phone package.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2011 11:18 |  #5

another source might be cablesforless.com. These guys appear to carry just about anything! I've used them exclusively for AV / Home Theater stuff when Best Buy wanted $150 for an HDMI cable. Also good for PA/band/rock gear cabling.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,949 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 28, 2011 11:29 |  #6

jtschell wrote in post #11929427 (external link)
But seriously.. Radio Shack used to be the premiere place for electronics.. Now, they were more interested in selling me a cell phone package.

Agree.

Radio Shack stuff is junk. I got 4 and problems in 2 after couple of shoots.

Replaced them with cables from Robert. So much better than any stuff you can buy. Not to mention the bling factor.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

John ­ Schell
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2011 11:43 |  #7

bobbyz wrote in post #11929639 (external link)
Agree.

Radio Shack stuff is junk. I got 4 and problems in 2 after couple of shoots.

Replaced them with cables from Robert. So much better than any stuff you can buy. Not to mention the bling factor.

Cables from Robert? I may have missed something - I didn't realize he was selling anything. Do you have a link?

(your order is safe, Lon). :D

Jmark11207
164 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 28, 2011 11:49 |  #8

I managed several RadioShack locations a few years back and cables are cables. You CAN get those cables cheaper other places but I have several that still work fine that Ive had for 5 plus years.

My Flickr (external link)
My Blog (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jmarkphotos/sho​w/ (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 28, 2011 11:54 as a reply to  @ Jmark11207's post |  #9

On the whole Radio Shack's cable and adapter department is very good. Obviously if you're in the audio industry you're going to be buying Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors but for general purpose and using audio cables for sync (just a 2 conductor switch, really) they work well and prove to be reliable with few failures.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

John ­ Schell
THREAD ­ STARTER
817 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 28, 2011 12:01 |  #10

TMR Design wrote in post #11929772 (external link)
On the whole Radio Shack's cable and adapter department is very good. Obviously if you're in the audio industry you're going to be buying Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors but for general purpose and using audio cables for sync (just a 2 conductor switch, really) they work well and prove to be reliable with few failures.

If that's the case (and I believe you), I can't imagine why the second strobe wasn't working. Both the strobe and the PW are new - literally, three weeks old and fired perfectly in a slave config studio environment just the day before.

I'm going to try another cable. If not, then I'll start looking at the PW and AB units.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 28, 2011 12:04 |  #11

jtschell wrote in post #11929717 (external link)
Cables from Robert? I may have missed something - I didn't realize he was selling anything. Do you have a link?

(your order is safe, Lon). :D

PM me so we keep it out of the forum please.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

moeronn
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2011 14:49 |  #12

jtschell wrote in post #11929819 (external link)
If that's the case (and I believe you), I can't imagine why the second strobe wasn't working. Both the strobe and the PW are new - literally, three weeks old and fired perfectly in a slave config studio environment just the day before.

I'm going to try another cable. If not, then I'll start looking at the PW and AB units.

Did you try switching the cables? That will tell you pretty quickly if it is a problem with the cable or with something else.

Also, you can try monoprice.com for all things cables (and other things). Great quality and prices.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
On the whole, just how unreliable are Radio Shack cables?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.