Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Feb 2011 (Monday) 20:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Considering selling 7d for 1d mark IIn/III

Camera ­ Nerd
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 28, 2011 20:09 |  #1

I've been shooting with the 7d for about a year and a half now. The bulk of what I shoot is sports, and for the most part it has been pretty good, but as I have improved my skills I have become more critical of everything.
I have been annoyed with a couple of things with the 7d

Quite frequently I find it drops fps dramatically to about 3-4 fps when I have the af priority custom function on. I find that if choose another custom function I will have crap load of out of focus shots. It is quite annoying when I miss those decisive moments.

Also I have a question about the ai servo expansion with the 4 pts. I have the custom function set where enables me to see the pts that the camera chooses in the expansion mode during ai servo. However, when I have been shooting wrestling and basketball this season I have never seen the camera go to these outer points. Has anyone else encountered this.

For some the 7d is great but now that I am alot more advanced in my photography I really want to use gear that I like to use. Right now I am considering either the 1d mark IIn (which I had the pleasure of using for a week) or 1d mark III as the fps drop are really killing me.

canon 7d, canon 5d classic, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 (non-is) L, .
my flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/51827770@N04/ (external link)

sponsored links
zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 28, 2011 20:55 |  #2

the 1D is a great tool for sports and fast action...no doubt.
I've also had the 5Dc and 50D before.

Myself I'm considering selling my Mark IIN because I will be overseas the later part of this year overseas on long term basis and i dont think I want to travel with such a hefty camera.

The IQ from the Mark IIN from ISO100-3200(granted a good exposure) is really good and the colours are wonderful to work with...just like the 5Dc. My 50D was horrible in that regard and until now I have no idea if its due to the Digic IV processing style, or just the 50D only.
The ergonomics from the mark IIN can be a love-hate thing. Its so easy to change any of the settings but the one thing that I hate about it is that I have to let go of the lens so as to free my left hand to press on the 2 buttons to change ISO. On my previous 50D(or all other canon bodies for that matter) I didn't even have to take my eyes off the viewfinder. Just hit the ISO button with my right finger and start scrolling away!

But due to the nature of my travel I will need certain features such as the wireless flash control. Video would be nice but not necessary. Because of these few reasons, I see myself moving to the 7D or the 5D2 or maybe back to the 5Dc.

Regarding the 7D, its really a feature packed camera which i absolutely love. My only qualm is the APC-C sensor and the inability to extract as much of a shallow DOF. I could, however, augent this with a fast prime.
The 5D2 is an IQ monster but lacks the features that i need. Also, its facing a replacement very soon.
The 5Dc is still an excellent choice with awesome pixel-level sharpness. An ST-E2 with this camera and i will be very happy!

End of the day, we all have changing needs. Having too many choices doesn't make the decision any easier. :(

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

Camera ­ Nerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
935 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 28, 2011 21:00 |  #3

zarray wrote in post #11933046 (external link)
the 1D is a great tool for sports and fast action...no doubt.
I've also had the 5Dc and 50D before.

Myself I'm considering selling my Mark IIN because I will be overseas the later part of this year overseas on long term basis and i dont think I want to travel with such a hefty camera.

The IQ from the Mark IIN from ISO100-3200(granted a good exposure) is really good and the colours are wonderful to work with...just like the 5Dc. My 50D was horrible in that regard and until now I have no idea if its due to the Digic IV processing style, or just the 50D only.
The ergonomics from the mark IIN can be a love-hate thing. Its so easy to change any of the settings but the one thing that I hate about it is that I have to let go of the lens so as to free my left hand to press on the 2 buttons to change ISO. On my previous 50D(or all other canon bodies for that matter) I didn't even have to take my eyes off the viewfinder. Just hit the ISO button with my right finger and start scrolling away!

But due to the nature of my travel I will need certain features such as the wireless flash control. Video would be nice but not necessary. Because of these few reasons, I see myself moving to the 7D or the 5D2 or maybe back to the 5Dc.

Regarding the 7D, its really a feature packed camera which i absolutely love. My only qualm is the APC-C sensor and the inability to extract as much of a shallow DOF. I could, however, augent this with a fast prime.
The 5D2 is an IQ monster but lacks the features that i need. Also, its facing a replacement very soon.
The 5Dc is still an excellent choice with awesome pixel-level sharpness. An ST-E2 with this camera and i will be very happy!

End of the day, we all have changing needs. Having too many choices doesn't make the decision any easier. :(

Thanks for your input. The ergonomics on the 1d mark II/n isnt too bad. Im opting for the N because of picture styles, lcd and some more custom functions as I mostly shoot jpeg and I chimp alot.

canon 7d, canon 5d classic, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 (non-is) L, .
my flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/51827770@N04/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,206 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 28, 2011 21:05 |  #4

Camera Nerd wrote in post #11932802 (external link)
I've been shooting with the 7d for about a year and a half now. The bulk of what I shoot is sports, and for the most part it has been pretty good, but as I have improved my skills I have become more critical of everything.
I have been annoyed with a couple of things with the 7d

Quite frequently I find it drops fps dramatically to about 3-4 fps when I have the af priority custom function on. I find that if choose another custom function I will have crap load of out of focus shots. It is quite annoying when I miss those decisive moments.

Also I have a question about the ai servo expansion with the 4 pts. I have the custom function set where enables me to see the pts that the camera chooses in the expansion mode during ai servo. However, when I have been shooting wrestling and basketball this season I have never seen the camera go to these outer points. Has anyone else encountered this.

For some the 7d is great but now that I am alot more advanced in my photography I really want to use gear that I like to use. Right now I am considering either the 1d mark IIn (which I had the pleasure of using for a week) or 1d mark III as the fps drop are really killing me.

I believe if you lock your exposure, the 7D will hold its 8 fps. The AF on the 7D is quite good, and it may not have to go to the expansion points very often. You will get a better build (weather sealing more than anything), dual card slots, 10 fps, multiple WB settings, and more AF points. However, I would not be convinced that other than better DOF control, for what you are shooting, the 1D will do better. The 7D should more than easily be up to the task of wrestling and basketball.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 28, 2011 21:28 |  #5

Camera Nerd wrote in post #11933088 (external link)
Thanks for your input. The ergonomics on the 1d mark II/n isnt too bad. Im opting for the N because of picture styles, lcd and some more custom functions as I mostly shoot jpeg and I chimp alot.

With the Mark IIN, I'd seriously recommend shooting RAW. When using AWB on it, i found certain weird tones of green or magenta on jpeg files. Not so much when using AWB on RAW files. You have much more room to tweak the files on raw to dial things out. Besides...one of the advantages with the 8.2MP sensor is that raw files are approx. 8mb each. Your hard disk will thank you for it!

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 21:51 |  #6

I own an MKIIN and MKIII and shoot sports.

It sounds like you 'felt' the difference between the 1D and your body, now you're hooked!

Between the two bodies you're considering, I'll tell you that the MKIII does better with buffer full slowdown on FPS and handles fast CF cards better, is harder to get set for AF/AI Servo, but once there does a great job. The MKIIN is a fine AF body, in some ways more responsive, IMO, than the MKIII, but only a bit; the MKIIN is easier to set up and use for AF.

If you have a choice, grab the MKIII because it has ISO 6400 and less ISO noise overall than the MKIIN.

On your AF dots/boxes -- I'm willing to be wrong, but I think the 'assist' points just help the center get a lock, so they're never the AF point themselves.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 21:59 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11933420 (external link)
No, the 7D has expansion points that kick in and AF if the selected point cannot grab focus, somewhat like the 1D.

Ok, but would the OP ever 'see' them as selected points? Like I said, I'm willing to be wrong and learn -- I'm not sure. I know on the MKIII I have them active and use center only plus the CFs sorted out over time to balance behavior; I just never noticed.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,206 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 28, 2011 22:04 |  #8

S.Horton wrote in post #11933437 (external link)
Ok, but would the OP ever 'see' them as selected points? Like I said, I'm willing to be wrong and learn -- I'm not sure. I know on the MKIII I have them active and use center only plus the CFs sorted out over time to balance behavior; I just never noticed.

Depends on the AF mode, here is a great description of the different modes. There is AF point selection that will hand off to other points, then there is expansion point AF. Very 1D-like... :)

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=3049 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 28, 2011 22:06 |  #9

I have the 7D and the MK III. I use them as I see fit. Lately I have been using the 7D more because of the crop sensor and 18 mp. In the last two weeks, I have shot 39 high school basketball games (w/strobes) at two state championships. I used the 7D almost the entire time with the 70-200 f/2.8 and the MKIII with 300 f/2.8 or the 24-70 (for team photos and awards).

Maybe I am just lucky but they both work great. Hopefully later this year I will have the funding to buy a MK IV and sell the MK III. But as of now, I don't have any plans to sell the 7D.

FYI - I get great battery life on the MKIII - shoot all day maybe 3000 shots on one battery. Never have to change it out during all day shooting sports. The 7D is close in that I shoot almost all day with two batteries in the grip.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

tancanon58
965 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2011 22:11 |  #10

Your problem is just like mine before. Therefore, I just upgraded to 1D MKiV.
1D2n is not too bad at all but it was little heavy for me.

Bodies: 5D MkIII/ Oly ED-M5/ G10
Lenses: Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC /and some Panny and Oly lenses.
Flash: Canon600EX RT.

S.Horton
18,051 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 22:13 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11933464 (external link)
Depends on the AF mode, here is a great description of the different modes. There is AF point selection that will hand off to other points, then there is expansion point AF. Very 1D-like... :)

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=3049 (external link)

Thx!
;)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,751 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 28, 2011 22:15 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #12

I wouldnt do it for a 1DII..but I would choose the 1D3 every time over the 7D..I even tried to change to the 7D twice from my 1D3 and I came back to it very shortly after trying the change.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

frizzle
430 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 28, 2011 22:39 |  #13

I've got both & I find myself reaching for the 1D every time.
I prefer the function layout on the 7d, but I just have more faith in nailing fast moving action with the 1D Mark III

Canon EOS 1D Mark III * Sony Alpha A7R * Canon 70-200mm F2.8L * 400mm F5.6L * Samyang 14mm F2.8 * Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Xr Di * Canon TS-E 24L II
MY Flickr (external link)

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 01, 2011 00:20 |  #14

Want to trade?

www.jaffe.photo

sponsored links

1,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering selling 7d for 1d mark IIn/III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.