Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto tripod paired with a Markins ballhead, good idea?

KurtGoss
453 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 28, 2011 22:42 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

klr.b wrote in post #11933311 (external link)
Oh, and go into a store and try and find an Arca-compatible plate.

Try and go into a store and buy a Gitzo tripod or a Canon L lens... not many. But stores that DO sell L lens and other pro gear WILL carry Arca plates... just saying.

I would never settle with RC2 plates after using Really Right Stuff and Kirk plates.

Markins with Arca-Swiss clamp is a great setup. You will regret buying RC2 and end up spending more down the road to upgrade.

sponsored links
JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 28, 2011 22:59 |  #17

peter_n wrote in post #11925720 (external link)
If you get a great tripod and a ballhead that droops ever so little you will not be happy.

Ain't that the truth.

I bought a 055XPROB and a 498RC2 as I have yet to find much in the way of negative press about them.

After buying them though, I have SERIOUS remorse about the ball head. It droops with even some of the not so heavy L lenses(does with a 70-200, 100-400 and a little bit with a 24-70)...not much, but just enough to have a legitimate complaint against it. Thinking maybe I got a bum ball head, I took it back to the store and tried 5 others, all with the same results. After trying a friends Markins on my legs, no more droop...none. Safe to say I'll be buying a Markins soon...

How these things(498RC2) get consistant 5 out of 5 star reviews is beyond me... Maybe I hold my gear to a higher standard than most but I was seriously expecting a better product.

Nobody cares about your gear list...

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 01, 2011 01:25 |  #18

JayCee Images wrote in post #11933741 (external link)
Ain't that the truth.

I bought a 055XPROB and a 498RC2 as I have yet to find much in the way of negative press about them.

After buying them though, I have SERIOUS remorse about the ball head. It droops with even some of the not so heavy L lenses(does with a 70-200, 100-400 and a little bit with a 24-70)...not much, but just enough to have a legitimate complaint against it. Thinking maybe I got a bum ball head, I took it back to the store and tried 5 others, all with the same results. After trying a friends Markins on my legs, no more droop...none. Safe to say I'll be buying a Markins soon...

How these things(498RC2) get consistant 5 out of 5 star reviews is beyond me... Maybe I hold my gear to a higher standard than most but I was seriously expecting a better product.

If you are using telephoto lenses, the drop matters and you should get a good head. On a telephoto lens, even a little droop makes a big difference. However, most people don't need absolute accuracy and don't use large telephoto lenses. The 498RC2 is decent, not amazing, but decent, but at 1/3 the price of Markins what do you expect?

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2011 03:34 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Not taking into consideration WHAT and HOW you shoot when picking a tripod/head setup is simply stupid and one could end up spending a lot more then one need.

A studio shooter/portrait photographer will have VERY different needs to a landscape shooter for instances.

Regards
Paul L.

Ross_Curtis
184 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 01, 2011 04:01 as a reply to  @ MR do little's post |  #20

I'm using the Q10 with the newer quick release plate and a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4.
I used to own a Q3, with the standard non-quick release plate.* If you're clumsy you might want to look into getting this as the new style lever QRP, although quicker isn't the safest.* I suspect (although I haven't used it) that the RRS plate is a better option, albeit a more expensive one.
For me this combo work brilliantly.* OK it's never going to be as solid as some of the larger/heavier legs, but for me this was a comprimise well worth taking as I now find myself using it so much more than I ever did my old 2 stage non-CF tripod.*
It's not cheap but well worth the money.
I found a brilliant black padded nylon case on Ebay which fits it absolutely perfectly and I think from memory it cost me around £10 from a Hong Kong based seller.
Thumbs up from me.

6D | 24L II | 50MP | 85L II | 200L II | 16-35L F4 IS | Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 | Markings Q10 |

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 01, 2011 11:34 |  #21

themadman wrote in post #11934246 (external link)
The 498RC2 is decent, not amazing, but decent, but at 1/3 the price of Markins what do you expect?

Like I said, with the internet full of 5 star ratings on the thing, most from people using the same 1-3 pound lenses on prosumer to pro bodies that I am, I was expecting a 5 star product.

I'd rate it 3, at the most. -1 for the droop, -.5 for the not so smooth movements of the ball head and another -.5 for the clumsy quick release. And to be fair, I did try 5 others.

Though, I guess for $130 bucks, I got my moneys worth... :confused:

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 01, 2011 17:20 |  #22

JayCee Images wrote in post #11936301 (external link)
Like I said, with the internet full of 5 star ratings on the thing, most from people using the same 1-3 pound lenses on prosumer to pro bodies that I am, I was expecting a 5 star product.

I'd rate it 3, at the most. -1 for the droop, -.5 for the not so smooth movements of the ball head and another -.5 for the clumsy quick release. And to be fair, I did try 5 others.

Though, I guess for $130 bucks, I got my moneys worth... :confused:

Maybe you need to give their new ones a try then =P

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 01, 2011 18:22 |  #23

themadman wrote in post #11938022 (external link)
Maybe you need to give their new ones a try then =P

No thank you... :p

MR ­ do ­ little
Goldmember
2,399 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2011 19:09 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

JayCee Images wrote in post #11938337 (external link)
No thank you... :p

Well trying a cheap ballhead from manfrotto and compare to Markins or RRS isn't exactly fair. At least try their 468MG which isn't far off compared to the Markins.

Regards
Paul L.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2011 02:25 |  #25

KurtGoss wrote in post #11933672 (external link)
Try and go into a store and buy a Gitzo tripod or a Canon L lens... not many. But stores that DO sell L lens and other pro gear WILL carry Arca plates... just saying.

I would never settle with RC2 plates after using Really Right Stuff and Kirk plates.

Markins with Arca-Swiss clamp is a great setup. You will regret buying RC2 and end up spending more down the road to upgrade.

Nope. Not in LA, anyway. Maybe if you live by B&H or Adorama you could get a Kirk or something. You'd think it'd be easy considering how many photographers are out here and the great weather and scenery. You can't even find them in those stores that carry L lenses and Gitzos. Finding L lenses is actually quite easy out here. The fact of the matter is a lot of the good makers don't sell outside of their own web store. Some will allow some websites to also carry their line. However, I have yet to see a good Arca-compatible plate for sale in a brick and mortar store.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 02, 2011 10:24 |  #26

klr.b wrote in post #11940490 (external link)
Nope. Not in LA, anyway. Maybe if you live by B&H or Adorama you could get a Kirk or something. You'd think it'd be easy considering how many photographers are out here and the great weather and scenery. You can't even find them in those stores that carry L lenses and Gitzos. Finding L lenses is actually quite easy out here. The fact of the matter is a lot of the good makers don't sell outside of their own web store. Some will allow some websites to also carry their line. However, I have yet to see a good Arca-compatible plate for sale in a brick and mortar store.

I have no problem finding them here in the DC area. Maybe not the model specific items like L-Plates but the generic plates are not hard at all.

More to the point though, I don't understand how I would end up in a situation where I would be out in the middle of nowhere and only then realize that I need a plate. The only situation I can think of would be if I bought a new camera and needed to use it right away but could not find the generic plate that came with my ball head? That one possible and unlikely scenario does not even come close to making up for the benefits of the Arca-Swiss style plates over the proprietary RC2 plates.

Maybe the reason you consider this to be an issue is that the RC2 plates are more "in the way" when not being used, causing you to attach the plate only as needed which introduces the risk of the plate being lost and needing a replacement?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2011 17:35 |  #27

krb wrote in post #11942073 (external link)
I have no problem finding them here in the DC area. Maybe not the model specific items like L-Plates but the generic plates are not hard at all.

More to the point though, I don't understand how I would end up in a situation where I would be out in the middle of nowhere and only then realize that I need a plate. The only situation I can think of would be if I bought a new camera and needed to use it right away but could not find the generic plate that came with my ball head? That one possible and unlikely scenario does not even come close to making up for the benefits of the Arca-Swiss style plates over the proprietary RC2 plates.

Maybe the reason you consider this to be an issue is that the RC2 plates are more "in the way" when not being used, causing you to attach the plate only as needed which introduces the risk of the plate being lost and needing a replacement?

I actually use Arca-compatible plates. When I got the ball head, I went all over trying to find some plates. I then found out that RRS only sells online through the web store or through their showroom. I didn't feel like driving 4 hours round-trip just to pick some up. We have Samy's, Canoga Camera, and Calumet here. None of their stores carried them at the time. I also ventured out to find some local mom and pop type stores that also had high end products. It's possible by now some of them have imported some of the universal plates, but I'm not a fan of those. Of all the people I talked to they all said that it just wasn't cost effective to stock them. In the end, I just ordered some online and had to wait about 3 days. :-|

gordon
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

3,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto tripod paired with a Markins ballhead, good idea?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.