Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Experienced folks, do you ever go back and read your manual?

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 02, 2011 05:32 |  #16

I read the manuals a lot - but mainly when reading PotN, when a lot of posts make me think "Surely, that's in the manual", then checking that it is.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links
casp3r
Goldmember
1,531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Mar 02, 2011 05:42 |  #17

Well where I'm from there's an old IT saying - 'If all else fails, read the instructions'. So yes I would occasionally go back to my camera or flash manual :)

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2011 10:06 as a reply to  @ casp3r's post |  #18

Manual? What’s that?

Just kidding. I printed out the PDF versions of both my cameras’ manuals on letter size paper and had them bound. I keep one at work and one at home. The originals are in my camera bag, and I have the PDF files on my phone. I can’t remember everything (the older I get the more there is to remember!!!), especially about seldom used procedures.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2011 11:40 |  #19

I downloaded my manual as a .pdf and then loaded it onto my iphone. manuals with a search function = win. Plus I don't need to carry it around.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

CalPiker
397 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2011 16:03 |  #20

I'm a guy. I don't read manuals... ever. :)

Gear List
Can I take your picture? "I'll swallow your soul!" Well, my camera will at least.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,936 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, USA, now in Washington state, USA, road trip back and forth a lot

Feb 07, 2017 11:38 |  #21

CalPiker wrote in post #11944057 (external link)
I'm a guy. I don't read manuals... ever. :)

I don't read the manuals, either. When I bought the 1D4 a few years ago, it came with a manual. I haven't opened it yet.

Why? Because I don't learn well from reading instructions. I learn best when someone else shows me how to do something. Hence, if I need to learn how to do something with my 1D4, I get on YouTube and look for a video in which someone shows me how to do whatever it is that I want to do. For some reason, learning that way doesn't seem to require any focus or concentration, whereas looking something up in a manual is actually painful to my brain.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,860 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 07, 2017 11:56 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18266943 (external link)
I don't read the manuals, either. When I bought the 1D4 a few years ago, it came with a manual. I haven't opened it yet.

Why? Because I don't learn well from reading instructions. I learn best when someone else shows me how to do something. Hence, if I need to learn how to do something with my 1D4, I get on YouTube and look for a video in which someone shows me how to do whatever it is that I want to do. For some reason, learning that way doesn't seem to require any focus or concentration, whereas looking something up in a manual is actually painful to my brain.

I did refer to Canon's white paper on the 1D IV AF. I was trying to figure out exactly how what happens when you select the two AF points. You know, when you go one up or one down from the AF Center Point. The AF paper explains it very well... and how it works if you select "surrounding AF points". I have it saved on my computer so I don't have a link handy. I think I accessed from Canon Europe, if I recall correctly. Their site is much easier to use than Canon USA for things like this.

That being said, after a fair amount of experimentation, I'm back to using just the center point and keeping it steady on birds in flight. I mostly shoot larger birds so for me, that is doable. If I were photographing smaller, faster birds, I might resort to expanding the AF points.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

moose10101
registered smartass
1,773 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by moose10101. (2 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2017 13:03 |  #23

casp3r wrote in post #11940922 (external link)
Well where I'm from there's an old IT saying - 'If all else fails, read the instructions'. So yes I would occasionally go back to my camera or flash manual :)

One of the many things that differentiate IT people from fighter pilots. ;)

My 60D manual is either in the camera bag or on my nightstand. I sometimes refer to it after reading a thread here.

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2017 13:10 |  #24

Chippy569 wrote in post #11942445 (external link)
I downloaded my manual as a .pdf and then loaded it onto my iphone. manuals with a search function = win. Plus I don't need to carry it around.

Bingo! Too easy ... psst ... I also have it on my PC .. :-D

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 07, 2017 13:54 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18266943 (external link)

Too late, Tom! That was a 2011 post that you answered. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,936 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, USA, now in Washington state, USA, road trip back and forth a lot

Feb 07, 2017 14:11 |  #26

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18267085 (external link)
Too late, Tom! That was a 2011 post that you answered. ; )

I don't understand why I am "too late". The topic did not seem to be in any way time-sensitive. This subject matter is just as pertinent this moment as it was when the thread was started.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
7,194 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by kf095.

Feb 07, 2017 14:13 |  #27

It is never too late to re-read manual, this thread is relevant forever!
Yes, recently did it for my Leica M-E. Only few settings to read about, but the way Leica puts it around is fascinating :).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 07, 2017 14:28 |  #28

I just google it

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

sponsored links

5,643 views & 3 likes for this thread
Experienced folks, do you ever go back and read your manual?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.