Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 28 Feb 2011 (Monday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Music Man

Dan ­ R
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2011 19:44 |  #1

A series of shots I did of my old man. He's been a musician his whole life so he has lots of cool instruments. Shot in his garage, I used my new Oliphant backdrops I just got (can't recommend these enough) along with my D700 and 24-70 and 70-200. Lights consisted of 2 Elinchrom Quadras and a reflector. 1 Quadra camera right set above with softlighter II 46" and another Quadra camera right bounced off ground and a reflector camera left.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Dan ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2011 19:45 |  #2

Couple more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Dan ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2011 19:46 as a reply to  @ Dan R's post |  #3

Last two

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ceazeone
172 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2011 20:17 |  #4

photos look crisp! what was the lighting set up? just a 60ish inch plm?

Dan ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2011 20:30 |  #5

Both quadras camera right with a reflector camera left. The big modifier is a 46" Photek Softlighter II with no deflector and other quadra has stock diffuser

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 21:33 |  #6

Love the shots, was wondering where you bought the backdrop I checked out Oliphant's website but only has info on rental.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Dan ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2011 22:23 |  #7

Damian75 wrote in post #11933298 (external link)
Love the shots, was wondering where you bought the backdrop I checked out Oliphant's website but only has info on rental.

I called the owners, which are Sarah and Adelaide, and just asked if they do straight sales and they said sometimes. I told them I wanted the Annie Leibovitz style backdrop, gave the sizes and date I needed them and they said no problem.

But let me tell you they were not cheap at all. the 4x7 was $1150 and the 10x10 was $1700 plus $200 for shipping.

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 23:25 |  #8

Thanks for the info. I thought when I saw your photos that they had a bit of that Annie Leibovitz kind of look too them and sure enough same backdrop and light modifier. I thought they would be expensive, I love how they seem to have an aged look to them. I may try to make one first I have a few artist friends.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

lindsaytblum
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 01, 2011 13:05 |  #9

Wow, excellent lighting and PP. Very nice!

Canon 7D | 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 135mm f/2.0L, 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, 85mm f/1.8
Portfolio (external link)

Dan ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2011 19:41 as a reply to  @ lindsaytblum's post |  #10

Thanks for the comments everyone;)

lhughey
650 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2011 12:00 |  #11

Get that Nikon outta here!
I like the pics. The set you used is perfect for an older gentlemen. The textured gray background you used is strong and the lighting works really well for men. My favorite is #4. You can tell that he is someone who loves you (vs a stranger).

flickr: link (external link)

Dan ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2011 19:21 |  #12

lhughey wrote in post #11942553 (external link)
Get that Nikon outta here!
I like the pics. The set you used is perfect for an older gentlemen. The textured gray background you used is strong and the lighting works really well for men. My favorite is #4. You can tell that he is someone who loves you (vs a stranger).

Thanks man :)

Grizzly_37
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 02, 2011 20:03 as a reply to  @ Dan R's post |  #13

I really like the second one, the accordian fits in well, feels like an environmental portrait!

johndoorley
364 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 02, 2011 20:20 |  #14

all I can say is SWEET! You have done a nice job of "capturing the soul". His love of the instruments, the music and performing show in each shot. The lighting and background allow the character in his face and hands show.

Keep up the grat work!
-John

swflrebel
53 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 02, 2011 20:29 |  #15

Damn, I really like these!

sponsored links

2,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Music Man
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.