Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paint drops...

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 28, 2011 21:14 |  #16

Truly amazing stuff here. I love them all.

CraigAF Σ 10-20|AF Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF Tamron SP 28-80|MF Tamron SP 60-300|MF Soligor 75-260|MF Soligor 400|MF Soligor C/D 500|MF Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

sponsored links
Cosimo
113 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 03, 2011 04:05 |  #17

I saw the ones you posted in the 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro lens thread which inspired me to have a go last night. Not near your standard but fairly happy for a 1st attempt.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5492542815_4b5c711d05.jpg

mcgilld
27 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 03, 2011 05:02 |  #18

Thanks for sharing your methods...really like the way the photos came out...I want to try it

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,071 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2011 06:40 |  #19

Cosimo wrote in post #11947034 (external link)
I saw the ones you posted in the 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro lens thread which inspired me to have a go last night. Not near your standard but fairly happy for a 1st attempt.
QUOTED IMAGE

Nothing wrong with that, you gotta start somewhere. Once you get the setup and little details out of the way it's pretty much "drop paint, turn up music, shoot". Doesn't get any easier than that.

Got a shot of your setup??

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

Dermit
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 03, 2011 08:18 |  #20

Nice work! This is on my list of things to do. One thing I read was instead of the plastic try cutting up a large balloon and stretch the rubber over the speaker. It's supposed to give it a lot of bounce... and you can get them in many colors to compliment your paint choices.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

kingbob734
869 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 04, 2011 07:15 |  #21

Very nice, 2 and 7 are the best i think, but all shots are great, thanks for sharing the setup too :D

Gear List flickr (external link)
5DIII | 7D | 24L | 35 | 85 | 105 | 17-40L | 70-200L II | 430EX II | 580EX II

Michael ­ Jonsson
39 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 08, 2011 10:01 |  #22

now i've got something to do tonight!

Check out my Website (external link) & Gear List

abenk123
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 21, 2011 08:08 as a reply to  @ Michael Jonsson's post |  #23

very nice pictures...

it inspire me ......

Canon 1000D| Kit lens 18-55mm|Yashica ML 50mm

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,702 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 23, 2011 22:17 |  #24

This is more involved than it looks so my congrats to the OP.
I had some time to experiment tonight but with swirled white and brown ice cream topping instead of paint. I used a black trash bag over a Sony subwoofer. I used the FM radio so I was at the mercy of whatever was playing (FAIL). Next time I need to use a CD or other known music with a consistent bass track that is either constant or predictable. That way I can adjust the volume to get better results.
50mm at min distance, f8, 580EX camera left at manual 1/32 power
Top Left is a trial with water. Didn't stick together so FAIL.
Top Right is a focus test with the topping bottle.
Bottom Left is not enough volume. FAIL
Bottom Right is one of a few that were acceptable.:)
Last is a processed crop of the same image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

katodog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,071 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 24, 2011 14:57 |  #25

I don't know what the heck happened but I somehow got unsubscribed to this thread. Weird.

Chunky, nice shots. It actually does take a bit of foresight with the music, I use my Zune so I can pick songs that I know, and I'll know when the bumps are coming. Plus I can choose songs that have more bass to them, which makes things easier. Also try to stretch the plastic a bit tight, it'll give you more bounce and less splash. I use double-sided tape and the plastic from the winter window-covering kits, that way if it doesn't go on quite tight enough I hit it with the blow dryer and tighten it up.

Electricianpat...nice shot. yours is the typical water drop shot while this thread is aimed towards sound-activated paint (water, whatever), which is done by using sound waves under the liquid to make it pop up. It's a great shot though, I like it. Did you use processing to color it, food coloring, or gels?

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links

8,610 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paint drops...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.