Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 13 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Little League Tournament

toadhunter911
439 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2011 15:10 |  #16

kellgell wrote in post #11930515 (external link)
I shoot my son's 9U travel league games all the time. I just can't seem to get the money shots with my 5DMII. How is the best way to go about getting good action shots when you never know when they're coming???

these are great. I find the 2nd one a bit comical because that kids has got some long legs and arms and feet to boot!

Know the game your shooting, anticipate the action, and practice, alot!!!

Craig
Gear List

sponsored links
kellgell
322 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2011 15:16 |  #17

Thanks, Vince! I do have access to the field but I'm kind of embarrassed to get out there. I guess I need to just get over it and get out there.

Kelly
GEAR
Flickr (external link)
BLOG (external link)

Shonuff
106 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 28, 2011 22:38 as a reply to  @ kellgell's post |  #18

Are you doing any onsite printing or can purchase the pics at a later date.

vcrampton
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 01, 2011 07:54 |  #19

Shonuff wrote in post #11933650 (external link)
Are you doing any onsite printing or can purchase the pics at a later date.

Currently, I am only doing online orders, but I am actually ordering printers either today or tomorrow so that I can start doing onsite orders.

Sports Shooter Profile (external link)
Orlando Wedding Photographer (external link)

Shonuff
106 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 01, 2011 09:56 as a reply to  @ vcrampton's post |  #20

Thats great, sounds like a winner. Any idea what printers you are considering on getting? I have a Kodak 9810 I bought used and it works great, haven't had the opportunity to use it for any sporting events, but i'm sure it would perform well.

vcrampton
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 01, 2011 10:10 |  #21

Shonuff wrote in post #11935731 (external link)
Thats great, sounds like a winner. Any idea what printers you are considering on getting? I have a Kodak 9810 I bought used and it works great, haven't had the opportunity to use it for any sporting events, but i'm sure it would perform well.

Yeah, I think I'm set on the Sony Sub-dyes. I going to get this one (external link) for 4x6 and 5x7 prints, and this one (external link) for 8x10s. I'm still considering a couple of Mitsubishi printers, but I have a friend (whose opinion I trust) who said the Sony performed great.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,730 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 01, 2011 15:00 |  #22

kellgell wrote in post #11930515 (external link)
I find the 2nd one a bit comical because that kids has got some long legs and arms and feet to boot!

That one caught my eye also. He looks like my son, long limbs and shoes that could float a battleship. Nice photos.

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 01, 2011 17:17 |  #23

Vince, how many more sales do you think you will get to justify the cost of the printers and the employees you will need to run them?

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Shonuff
106 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 01, 2011 21:05 as a reply to  @ Dan-o's post |  #24

Vince,

CHeck ur email.

Dkrogh
55 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2011 12:09 |  #25

I wish I could be watching baseball instead of 5 foot snow drifts slowly melt away...

Canon 7D Gripped 40D 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS 75-300mm f4-5.6 II 70-200mm f2.8L IS

vcrampton
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 03, 2011 14:29 |  #26

Dan-o wrote in post #11938005 (external link)
Vince, how many more sales do you think you will get to justify the cost of the printers and the employees you will need to run them?

I've got tournaments lined up that will have upwards of 800 kids. None of my tournaments have less than 500 as of now. So depending on the tournaments my individual tournament costs (photogs, techs, paper, ribbons etc.) could be covered anywhere from as low as $700 in sales. The bigger tournament the more the money obviously. The larger equipment will pay itself off in time, but that cost will initially be absorbed by my overall business.

On another note, I'm going to buy the printers anyways for portraits, T&Is, etc. Currently, I use Mpix Pro and they charge me 1.99 for an 8x10, $1.09 for 5x7s, and $.69 for 4x6s. Comparatively, cost per print with my own printers will be around .15 for 4x6s, .20 for 5x7s, and less than .50 for 8x10s. So if I keep my current pricing, I will already be making between .40 and $1.50 more per print. I probably won't even offer 4x6s, but that's not the point. Considering I print upwards of 200 prints a weekend during a tournament (according to my website), .40 is a signigicant amount of money.

Important note also, I am not spending a penny that I do not have. No debt. No credit. I am letting the business grow at its own rate by using cash.

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 03, 2011 19:50 |  #27

Ahhh, thanks for the info. Hope it all works out for you.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

oscarl62
Goldmember
1,344 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 04, 2011 04:56 |  #28

My son plays in 14U league, and I’m shooting with a 30D griped and a 70-200 2.8 non IS, with a mono pod at times. What advice can you give me to shoot and get the sharpest shot i can get with my gear? Now these kids are pitching at about 70 mph, I do get on the field but it can be hair rising at time. Your input we be greatly appreciated.

Canon 7D w/ BG-E7 , Canon 50D w/ BG-E2n, Canon 5DMll, Tanron 17-50, Canon 70-200L 2.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon EF 85mm, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM,
580EX ii, 580EX, S2 IS

sponsored links

4,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
Little League Tournament
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.