Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Oct 2010 (Friday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Loyalty Program - FAQ's

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 03, 2011 09:28 |  #781

The thing about a strange "click" is that you don't know for certain what's causing it, so can't be sure it isn't serious. I would most certainly return it for replacement/repair. Mine doesn't click.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

sponsored links
spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2011 09:30 |  #782

soonerce wrote in post #11947597 (external link)
So, here is the old "what would you do?" You receive your 7D and it has about 7,300 actuations and when you grip the camera with your right hand it makes a small click sound (like the plastic CF door shifts a tiny amount). Do you try to return/exchange it with CLP? Does anyone have any experience with this process? I'm on day 2 of the 14 days they give you to return the camera but I never heard them mention the possibility of an exchange. I still haven't mailed my trade in. Also to further complicate things they don't have anymore 7D's in stock.

My gut says to just keep it and be glad it works...but I'm curious what others might do.

Call Canon, see what they offer.

(edit) the CF door on my 7D (also CLP model) doesn't make noise or wiggle. The eye piece (cup) does wiggle a bit but from what I've read on POTN a slightly loose cup is common.

Toohey ­ Photography
251 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 03, 2011 09:45 |  #783

I believe you CAN have Canon clean your dirty sensor under warranty...(I had one done in the past)
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

PWard wrote in post #11946144 (external link)
or worse....
I've heard of DOA cameras, defective sensors, dirty sensors (which aren't a warranty covered problem), high shutter counts, etc.

you play Canon-roulette.

Kevin
~ http://LearnYourCamera​.com (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2011 09:48 |  #784

I was told by a CLP rep that it didn't count as a warranty covered incident because it's not technically a mechanical defect derived from the camera itself.

of course different reps will tell you different things so take it with a grain of salt.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Toohey ­ Photography
251 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 03, 2011 10:46 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #785

I just remember taking a camera into Irvine two years ago and cleaning the sensor was covered...
But things change...and of course there is "Canon-roulette" LOL
(nice comment btw :lol:

Kevin
~ http://LearnYourCamera​.com (external link)

soonerce
236 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2011 11:35 as a reply to  @ Toohey Photography's post |  #786

Well Canon's position is that any 3rd party shutter actuation counting software isn't reliable, so they don't feel like the count is accurate. The tech I talked to said they have to actually pull the shutter assembly out to get a reading off of it. The tech also assumed before I told him about gphoto2 that I was using the file numbering system for my shutter reference number. The file number started at 100-0001 for what it's worth.

I don't really know how accurate gphoto2 is with the 7D, but from what I've seen I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't be accurate. If indeed my copy has 7300 clicks on it then it equates to roughly 5% of the shutter life gone, and I saved about 21% from buying new by going through the CLP. This is all assuming averages, I realize a shutter could go out at any time.

I'll play with it for about a week and decide if I want to spend about $300 more for a new 7D or if I'd rather put that $300 towards glass.

7D - Σ30 - EFS 15-85 - EF 100-400L - 430EX II

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 03, 2011 11:41 |  #787

at least with the refurb unit, you know it's gone through additional testing.

the "new hotness" sitting on a store's shelf passed right on through the assembly line. it may be perfect, or it may have issues right out of the box.

I bought a 50L last month. right out of the box it was front focusing horribly. even micro adjust didn't help much. instead of sending it back and exchanging it for another, I sent it to Canon, who calibrated and adjusted it accordingly.

check out the difference...and this is at f/1.2

before
http://i690.photobucke​t.com …/vv262/Phil2108​0/tree.jpg (external link)

after
http://i690.photobucke​t.com …/tree_calibrate​d50-12.jpg (external link)

a few years ago, I bought a 50D. didn't work quite right, so I sent it back for an exchange. the replacement had a different issue with it, sent it back for an exchange. 3rd time was the charm, so that's why I refer to it as a roulette wheel :-)

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2011 12:01 |  #788

soonerce wrote in post #11948709 (external link)
I don't really know how accurate gphoto2 is with the 7D, but from what I've seen I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't be accurate.

gphoto2 is VERY accurate. I also checked my T1i (purchased brand new) right after I checked my 7D with the software. The count on my T1i was off by 3 from the IMG_XXX number. The 3 were the pics I shot tethered with the EOS util while I was checking it out - IIRC the EOS util doesn't increment the shutter count number.

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 03, 2011 16:40 |  #789

Sensor cleaning is not covered under warranty.

It was free a couple of years ago. I guess people are starting to take advantage of free cleaning, and now they don't offer free cleaning.

If your camera is still under warranty, you could get most repair for free and in addition they will clean your sensor (only if you need other repair.)

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

nikhilnh
421 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 03, 2011 17:58 |  #790

soonerce wrote in post #11948709 (external link)
Well Canon's position is that any 3rd party shutter actuation counting software isn't reliable, so they don't feel like the count is accurate. The tech I talked to said they have to actually pull the shutter assembly out to get a reading off of it. The tech also assumed before I told him about gphoto2 that I was using the file numbering system for my shutter reference number. The file number started at 100-0001 for what it's worth.

I don't really know how accurate gphoto2 is with the 7D, but from what I've seen I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't be accurate. If indeed my copy has 7300 clicks on it then it equates to roughly 5% of the shutter life gone, and I saved about 21% from buying new by going through the CLP. This is all assuming averages, I realize a shutter could go out at any time.

I'll play with it for about a week and decide if I want to spend about $300 more for a new 7D or if I'd rather put that $300 towards glass.

If your camera is working properly and giving good results, I wouldn't return it just because it's shutter has aged by 5%. Even if you get a new camera
there is always a chance that it might have some problem like focusing issues and so on. Getting a good working camera ( in spite of being refurbished) and saving some money is more important than getting a new camera which may ( less likely) or may not have issues.

Also if you are worried about warranty coverage for a refurbished, spending 60-80 dollars on a Mack warranty is not a bad idea. I had to use the Mack warranty for my old Minolta camera, even though it wasn't the fastest warranty service ( took like almost 3 weeks for repair ) everything was covered under the warranty and the camera was repaired.

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 03, 2011 18:34 |  #791

My t2I arrived with 3 clicks on the shutter. :D

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

Revo
439 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2011 20:07 |  #792

For what it's worth, I just called canon and they said the 40D is no longer being offered. I quote "The T2i replaced it."

I was looking at the 40D so I will call tomorrow to check again.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D | Canon G11
24-105L| 70-200L IS II | 2x III Extender | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
Full Gear List | Feedback

pewpewbangbang
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 03, 2011 22:41 |  #793

angryhampster wrote in post #11951182 (external link)

How did you check? I've been trying to figure it out on mine

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2011 07:04 |  #794

angryhampster wrote in post #11951182 (external link)

That's low! Did you use gphoto2 to read the actual shutter counter or did you only look at the IMG_XXX number?

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,203 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 04, 2011 07:14 |  #795

pewpewbangbang wrote in post #11952449 (external link)
How did you check? I've been trying to figure it out on mine

please read page 43 https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=9487​85&page=43

sponsored links

449,873 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon Loyalty Program - FAQ's
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.