Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 25, 2011 09:06 |  #1831

Yno wrote in post #11911429 (external link)
Looking at the specs on the two, the 1542 is 1.5 cm longer closed, has a 9 cm taller max height (3.5 cm taller w/o column) minimum height is 4.5 cm higher, and the max load is one kg less. This is an improvement???

That's what I was thinking before I ordered the 1541t... I compared the 2 and did the "huh?!?!"...

personally, I think the 1541t has better specs...

sponsored links
itsmejson
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2011 11:02 |  #1832

^^ wow yea those specs doesn't really seem like an improvement lol.

- 5DmarkII | EF 24-70L F2.8 | EF 70-200L F4 | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T w/ Photoclam Pro-34NS -
- TT Streetwalker Pro | Domke F-5XC -
Flickr (external link)

PKBK
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 25, 2011 17:42 |  #1833

tagakweens wrote in post #11906758 (external link)
I was able to order mine last week, and the day after I ordered it, the status changed to "not in stock", now they changed it to "discontinued"....

just check everyday, sometimes people return it and they put it back as "available"

good luck...

I ordered mine just before it became unavailable, but thanks for the tip!

John.B
54 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 25, 2011 20:49 |  #1834

tagakweens wrote in post #11911527 (external link)
That's what I was thinking before I ordered the 1541t... I compared the 2 and did the "huh?!?!"...

personally, I think the 1541t has better specs...

LOL! I did the same calculation last December and came up with the same answer.

As of now, the GT1541T is still available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com …k-Traveler/dp/B0019QZPGS​/ (external link)

"No single raindrop considers itself responsible for the flood." -- Anonymous

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2011 20:59 as a reply to  @ John.B's post |  #1835

How does the Gitzo 1541T compare to the Benro C269M8? The legs on the Benro seem more like a "2" series Gitzo, but it folds up more compactly than the 1541T and seems very well made & sturdy - and cheaper. The weight bearing capacity is better, too.

Any comments?

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickr (external link) | PBase galleries (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 26, 2011 10:02 |  #1836

I'm sure the C-269 M8 is a good tripod but it has 5-section legs, which is what makes it more compact than the 4-section leg Gitzo 1541T. My first tripod, a Slik S502 had 5-section legs and I wouldn't buy another. The nearest equivalent to the 1541T in the Benro line is the C-268 M8, which was relabeled to the C2680T. I have a C2680T as well as a 1541T and can confirm that the build quality is excellent and it's very sturdy. It's also taller than the 1541T so you can use less of the center column. It's very competitive with the Gitzo.

~Peter

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2011 12:10 |  #1837

peter_n wrote in post #11917728 (external link)
I'm sure the C-269 M8 is a good tripod but it has 5-section legs, which is what makes it more compact than the 4-section leg Gitzo 1541T. My first tripod, a Slik S502 had 5-section legs and I wouldn't buy another. The nearest equivalent to the 1541T in the Benro line is the C-268 M8, which was relabeled to the C2680T. I have a C2680T as well as a 1541T and can confirm that the build quality is excellent and it's very sturdy. It's also taller than the 1541T so you can use less of the center column. It's very competitive with the Gitzo.

Great points, Peter. Do you feel that the extra leg sections on the Benro play a big role in terms of stability, or just a pain in the butt to deal with more screw locking joints?

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 27, 2011 09:45 |  #1838

Stability is the issue, it's what a tripod is all about. The fifth leg section is just one too many in terms of joints, and the bottom section has a very small diameter which doesn't help stability either. Perhaps the most stable, rigid tripod you can get is a 3-section leg with no center column. They are relatively heavy and long and there are many factors in choice with portability uppermost when you're talking about a travel tripod. My Benro is about 1" longer than the Gitzo and the leg sections have larger diameters and it's slightly heavier. If you're carrying a tripod all day weight is really important, the number of lock joints not so important, at least to me. Benro actually does a very nice job with it's twist locks; they're very smooth and easy to use.

~Peter

b.d.bop
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2011 13:54 |  #1839

peter_n wrote in post #11922872 (external link)
Stability is the issue, it's what a tripod is all about. The fifth leg section is just one too many in terms of joints, and the bottom section has a very small diameter which doesn't help stability either.

Actually the bottom section of that Benro C269M8 is the same diameter as the bottom leg section of the Gitzo 1541T. But your point on the number of leg sections is well taken.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 27, 2011 15:59 |  #1840

Yes that's because the Benro starts off with a larger diameter leg section at the top. The bottom section of my Benro is 18.5mm in diameter which is larger than the Gitzo. I think all other things being equal a larger diameter is to be preferred over a smaller one.

~Peter

340 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2011 19:34 |  #1841

b.d.bop wrote in post #11924077 (external link)
Actually the bottom section of that Benro C269M8 is the same diameter as the bottom leg section of the Gitzo 1541T. But your point on the number of leg sections is well taken.

yup, can verify that as well

alas, after all the time spent visiting this thread I'm selling my Gitzo/Markins combo. It's like a museum piece and I love owning it but the problem is that it's like a museum piece :D - I never use it. Will I regret selling later? Don't know, but funding new gear is always fun, no?

7D

xdmg
538 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 10, 2011 13:33 as a reply to  @ 858's post |  #1842

Anyone with a Thinktank Streetwalker HD have problems fitting this setup in the tripod/monopod holder and straps?

http://rohofoto.com (external link) | facebook (external link)

tagakweens
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 10, 2011 14:13 |  #1843

xdmg wrote in post #11995667 (external link)
Anyone with a Thinktank Streetwalker HD have problems fitting this setup in the tripod/monopod holder and straps?

how is you're setup?

I actually have the same bag and the same tripod/ballhead setup, but haven't tried it with the bag yet (my tripod is in the office and the bag's at my apartment)...

let me know... pics would be nice too...

jookee
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 10, 2011 16:38 |  #1844

xdmg wrote in post #11995667 (external link)

No issues at all. I've tried fitting it outside the bag (as per normal), and inside the bag. When fully folded, the GT1541t and markins q3t length happens to be able to fit into the TT streetwalker HD exactly. But i've to rearrange the dividers to accomodate that.

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,579 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 11, 2011 21:22 as a reply to  @ jookee's post |  #1845

So I have a question about my Q3T. What does the small dial on the larger dial do? From what I've read it's the tension control. But isn't that what the main large dial is for? What does the small dial do?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

sponsored links

702,412 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.