Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,923 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Mar 02, 2011 17:14 |  #1096

So.....I think I have decided to keep the 5D.

Everything I looked at to replace it with involved compromises that I wasn't happy with. The 5D of course has it's own set of compromises that I am unhappy with too. (Size, weight, and cost!)

The current, and soon to be released crop of mirrorless interchangable lens cameras are still too big with anything but a pancake prime to be pocketable. They all don't have a built in flash or a remote shutter release, and I would want both. The Sony NEX5 would be my pick of the bunch. Comes with an external flash, and has a remote option. The lens options are limited currently, and the only pancake currently available is too wide for general purpose use. 3 more lenses coming out this year though.

The compacts mosltly don't support RAW or have no depth of field control.

Trading down to a 60D or 600D would save a little size and weight, but would mean changing all my lenses to get suitable focal lengths, which would probably not free up any money in the end.

So, I'm going to do 2 things:
1) Set myself a goal to post 1 new photo here every week to get myself using the gear I have.
2) Look at getting a compact take everywhere camera for snapshots.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

sponsored links
davethejnz
245 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 02, 2011 17:27 |  #1097

scotttnz wrote in post #11944482 (external link)
So, I'm going to do 2 things:
1) Set myself a goal to post 1 new photo here every week to get myself using the gear I have.

So I take it you are not getting rid of ANY gear ??

Novice - So novice that I can learn from anyone even beginners
David

scotttnz
"tick, tick, tick, tick......"
3,923 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Mar 02, 2011 18:09 |  #1098

davethejnz wrote in post #11944550 (external link)
So I take it you are not getting rid of ANY gear ??

For now I will keep it and try to get some use out of it.

Ex CANON 5D owner - defected to m4/3
Bodies: Panasonic G9|GX85 DJI Mavic Pro
Zooms: Panasonic 7-14 f4|12-35 f2.8|35-100 f2.8|100-300 II f4-5.6|14-140 f3.5-5.6
Primes: Panasonic Leica 15 f1.7|25 f1.4|42.5 f1.2 Olympus 60 f2.8 Macro

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 02, 2011 18:46 |  #1099

lil_miss wrote in post #11940758 (external link)
If you want to stay overnight you're welcome to crash here :)

Thanks Sarah, might just take you up on that! (bet you're regretting that offer now aye, hehe)

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 02, 2011 18:53 |  #1100

I'm booked into friends in ahsburton, dunedin and motueka so far this month...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Sancho
Goldmember
2,767 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 02, 2011 20:30 |  #1101

If Belinda wasn't so needed at work we'd have done the bolt I think... Another holiday may be due sooner than we realised!

Camera accessories? www.phototools.co.nz (external link) | Studio Lighting? www.studio-lighting.co.nz (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 02, 2011 21:05 |  #1102

Yeah Pam works at the hospital so no scooting for us either.

Well we almost got forcably relocated but still. Fingers crossed we has electrickery tonight.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2011 17:57 |  #1103

Nzshrimper wrote in post #11934417 (external link)
this dude - however i do advise taking what he says with a large pinch of salt.

http://www.predictweat​her.com/ (external link)

However i am not leaving my wonder city and i will stay and rebuild what i can to make my corner of the world a better, safe place.

also where would i go - the whole of NZ is at risk of shakes. 6 months ago everyone would have said chch is the safest place to be with the least risk of a big shake. We all marvel at the rugged beauty of these islands, well they were created by the shakes and the volcanoes. Lets be honest we all know the risk.

What i can say is be prepared - have your kits with you ( i have one in the car and we have two at home).

and this is my personal opinion and not meant to rubbish anyone who wants to leave. - i do understand why they feel that way.

Congratulations on your spirit. It's heartening to know so many people will be staying to rebuild the city. Like you, I understand those who feel they have to leave...there are often all sorts of conflicts within them that lead to that decision.

I invited my sister to come to Nelson but she steadfastly says that Christchurch is her home and her house is okay so she'll stay. And my brother and his family all came through with little damage and are staying too.

As for predicting earthquakes? Bah-humbug I say. We all know there will be more shocks, and if there's a bad one on March 20 it will be a great triumph for the "experts", and if it's a day or so either side they'll say "it's not an exact science"! But what that prediction did was to point out that the next quake may be further north (though what evidence there is for that I know not) which would indicate that leaving Christchurch for Nelson or anywhere may be a bit of a mistake! Who knows?

Anyway, all the very best to you and yours, and if you need a break away please let me know, we'd be happy to have you stay for a few days...I mean it.

Growing old disgracefully!

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 03, 2011 20:32 |  #1104

Chch has never been safe.

OK we have some new faults closer to the city than expected but we are 100km from the alpine fault and that will go bang in a big way one day.

Nowhere in NZ is 'safe' from geological events, as this all proves.

Looking at this:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

It looks to me like theres another fault line running the other side of lyttleton harbour through port levy?

Nzshrimper
a good height for ...
10,173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 03, 2011 21:53 |  #1105

With all the sadness out there i went out with the camera to to find some happiness or hope... and came back with this.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

© All rights given away
Grammar – the difference between knowing you’re sh1te and knowing your sh1te

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 03, 2011 22:08 |  #1106

Nzshrimper wrote in post #11952236 (external link)
With all the sadness out there i went out with the camera to to find some happiness or hope... and came back with this.

Think that captures what christchurch is going to have to do so well. I could see this on the front of one of the quake books that will come out in time.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 03, 2011 22:11 |  #1107

Ricardo222 wrote in post #11950983 (external link)
Congratulations on your spirit. It's heartening to know so many people will be staying to rebuild the city. Like you, I understand those who feel they have to leave...there are often all sorts of conflicts within them that lead to that decision.

Well said. Shrimper, I too salute you for staying. That would have been my own choice, too, if it were solely up to me. I wouldn't have been in a position to help with the rebuilding itself, but by leaving I'm throwing more work onto the shoulders of my colleagues. That's a horrible thing to do when they're trying to get their own lives back together. I think that for the rest of my life, I will regret my departure.

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

Smurff
332 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2011 22:16 |  #1108

any of the people in the auckland central area going to be at targa next weekend ?
just thought i would put it out there, could be nice to meet any one who will be there if theres any time.

-smurff

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,173 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 04, 2011 01:31 |  #1109

akiwi wrote in post #11940440 (external link)
.....For the Auckland gang.. I will probably be there on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th March. What evening would suit for a get together?

Dam good idea, certainly keen.

Sancho wrote in post #11940549 (external link)
Providing our airports are still going by then I might fly up for the evening to meet everyone as well! Someone organise a shoot or buy something off that I can bring so I can claim the trip through the biz :)

Sounds good also, may want something as well, I'll be in touch.

Nzshrimper wrote in post #11952236 (external link)

My God! you still remember how to use one? Good to hear from you and good image.

Stuck on dial-up speeds at present (dam kids:mad:) so not really keeping up.

Chch refugees arrive some stage in the weekend, Mother-in-law, Sister-in-law and her two kids. Almost got accommodation sorted, they have got a school for her oldest (5 year old) and the school have provided a uniform. Her husband is still down there, cleaning up and working (works in petroleum industry, re-tanking fuel stations & the like)

Potisdad
667 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 04, 2011 02:40 |  #1110

akiwi wrote in post #11940440 (external link)
For the Auckland gang.. I will probably be there on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th March. What evening would suit for a get together?
For you Auckland types.

I would be keen for a meet up. I am busy Friday 25th, so Thursday would suit me better.
Where in Auckland will you be staying?

David

sponsored links

1,974,729 views & 1,379 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.