Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Kids & Family 
Thread started 25 Feb 2011 (Friday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which is the best setup for a delivery room?"
just my 5d2 and a 50 1.4
53.3%
5d2, 50 1.4 and flashes
3.3%
5d2, 50 1.4, 24-70 and flashes
13.3%
5d2, 50 1.4, 17-40 and flashes
10%
Bring it all!
20%

30 voters, 30 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Delivery room shots

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2011 23:56 |  #16

IUnknown wrote in post #11938826 (external link)
Also, some hospitals don't let you take photos of the actual birth because of liability reasons. I was thinking 35mm on a full frame for mine, with cramped quarters.

What are they going to do. "I'm not delivering this baby until you put down that camera, mister!"

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 04, 2011 12:20 |  #17

As I had stated in my original post, I don't intend to take very many if any pictures during the delivery, except maybe a few to document it (doctor holding up baby, mother with baby for first time, weighing). I obviously would be basing this on what the situation and my wife dictate. Also, for this time, I would definitely not be using flash, but just the camera and 50mm.

In regards to taking pictures later - I figured I could get nice shots and the baby would be less disturbed if I had a flash or two in the corners of the room, bouncing off the ceiling. Also, I like to mix ambient in with my flash, so it's not like I would be shooting at iso 100 f/8, but more like iso 800-1600 and f/2.8-f/4. I am not talking about a big setup, but have the foot that comes with the flash and having it sitting on a nightstand, etc. I am not talking about using stands, light modifiers, etc. I wanted to take the smallest setup possible that would allow me to do a good documentary of the experience. I am leaning towards my original thought, which is to bring the 5d, 50 1.4 for the majority of the shots and supplementing possibly with the 24-70 or 17-40 and off-camera flash if needed.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

bl4scott
258 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 04, 2011 23:40 as a reply to  @ james_in_baltimore's post |  #18

If you're the Dad, you may be so taken with the experience that setting up a studio may not be a priority. Keep it simple.

5D MkII * 7D gripped * / Canon 85 1.8 / Canon 24-70 L / Canon 70-200 2.8 L / Sigma 30 1.4

Edshropshire
440 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 21, 2011 16:55 |  #19

I have been through this several times. Last time (and I mean my LAST time) I brought my DSLR and a very small P&S. The P&S was great. I was able to fully participate as part of the delivery, but able to get some pictures just moments after my baby was born.

I used my DSLR to get pictures just a little later while the nurse did her stuff with the baby. I personally did use flash, but not right up in my babies eyes. This was a few years ago and I did not have lenses fast enough for indoor natural light.

R5, 5D MK2, RF 100-500, RF 800 f11, RF 24-105 f4, RF 1.4c TC, RF 100-400, EF 70-200 f2.8 II,EF 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8,
https://theshire.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/shropshirefami​ly/ (external link)

talea
347 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 23, 2011 07:06 |  #20

:)

bl4scott wrote in post #11958963 (external link)
If you're the Dad, you may be so taken with the experience that setting up a studio may not be a priority. Keep it simple.

Agreed.

You have no idea what is actually going to happen at the birth or how your partner is going to be feeling at the time.

Before my first child was born I told my husband categorically no photos of me after the event looking sweaty and awful. Thank goodness he totally ignored me and photographed both me and baby because now those photos are incredibly precious to me and I don't care that I looked like I'd run 3 marathons because frankly it felt like I had!!

In all likelihood you will be swept away by the moment and you will forget that you even have a camera! :)

You might have quite a bit to carry what with your partner's bags and whatever other stuff she feels she is going to need so keeping your camera gear simple will help then too.

Good luck! It's a very special thing that you are about to be part of!

Canon EOS 500D, 50 mm f1.8 MKII, 85mm f1.8, 18 -55 mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS, 70 - 200mm f4 L, 60mm f2.8 macro

JennyAdamsPhotography
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 06, 2011 15:52 |  #21

dont use flashes, my best friend gave birth two months ago and I was there for the whole experience. You wont get anything whilst shes in labour because she'll probably rip your head off if you go anywhere near your camera! Once the baby is born (which i presume it isnt yet...) try to use a tripod or monopod, and use whatever light is available. generally they keep the rooms quite dim once the babies are out so its not the easiest to shoot in without flash. I used as high an ISO as i could before getting too much noise (about 1600) and bumped up the exposure post-production.
good luck, hope the labour and birth goes well and congrats!

Jenny
www.jennyadamsphotogra​phy.co.uk (external link)
Canon 5d mkii~ Canon 550d~ Canon 70-200 f4

adamg5
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 14, 2012 02:07 |  #22

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #11911323 (external link)
My wife and I are having our first baby soon and I wanted some advice about what camera gear to take with me. I would prefer to limit the conversation to talking about what equipment to take and not spend time on how much I should or should not be shooting. I probably will shoot only a couple shots during delivery and do a few documentary shots after that (weighing, laying on wife's stomach, etc) but not do much beyond that until later.

I have: 5D MKii, 50 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 17-40, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580EX II, 430EX II, STE-2

I was thinking my primary would be the 5d and 50 1.4. I won't bring the 70-200. The question is whether to bring the 17-40 or the 24-70. For shots later on I was thinking I could mount the STE-2 and set the flashes in a couple corners of the room (bounced to the ceiling) to get some nice shots. Would the 17-40 be best because I would need the wide angle for this or will I want the speed or length of the 24-70, or is it a stupid idea and I should just shoot with the 50? Another point in favor of the 17-40 is that fact that it is half the size and weight of the 24-70.

Thanks for posting this, I've been thinking of what I'm going to do when our baby arrives at the end of february. I plan on taking my 35, 50 and flash just because it all fits nicely in a backpack.
Congrats and hope everything turns out better than expected :)

Consider me a satellite forever orbiting, I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED

Lovinlight
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 14, 2012 21:18 |  #23

karobinson wrote in post #11937989 (external link)
bouncing the light isn't too bad on the eyes...that heat lamp they put them under seems a bit cruel on the eyes not to mention the flashlight they shine in them.....has got to be one hell of a experience.

Congrats on the baby.

I'm a labor and delivery nurse. No one is shining a flashlight light of any kind into the newborn's eyes.

Oh, and I know how to work a 5dmkii.:)

Lovinlight
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 14, 2012 21:27 |  #24

JennyAdamsPhotography wrote in post #12171430 (external link)
Once the baby is born (which i presume it isnt yet...) try to use a tripod or monopod, and use whatever light is available. generally they keep the rooms quite dim once the babies are out so its not the easiest to shoot in without flash.

Delivery/recovery rooms are not dimmed after delivery. Quite the opposite in fact. In order to adequately observe both Mom and baby during the recovery it's essential for all lights to remain on, and is in fact the standard of care.

socalguy-30
135 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 14, 2012 21:29 |  #25

congrats on the new edition...

if i were you... id bring ALL the gear.
after you arrive, and get setteld.. id take some test shots to determine your best suited lens..
im guessing the 17mm wide angle.

Canon 7D + 10-22mm + 18-135mm + 50mm 1.4f + 24mm tilt shift

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 15, 2012 07:06 |  #26

Lovinlight wrote in post #13705847 (external link)
Delivery/recovery rooms are not dimmed after delivery. Quite the opposite in fact. In order to adequately observe both Mom and baby during the recovery it's essential for all lights to remain on, and is in fact the standard of care.

I guess it varies. My experience is that the lighting is fairly low during delivery and then they will cut the lights way down once they have checked over the baby and delivered the placenta.

Like this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Ripped_Glutes
40 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 18, 2012 00:07 |  #27

We just had our 2nd baby 3 weeks ago. I took in a 50mm 1.2. The doc squashed the GoPro2 strapped to her chest idea :P

EDIT: Enjoy the experience and dont worry about getting the shot.

Here is one pic, the rest of the delivery might be a little too graphic.

IMAGE: http://dtyner.smugmug.com/photos/i-jWhSzFB/0/XL/i-jWhSzFB-XL.jpg

5D MKII | 24-105 L | 50mm L | 16-35 L | 70-200 IS II L

Darweshi
75 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 18, 2012 02:07 |  #28

Ripped_Glutes wrote in post #13723738 (external link)
EDIT: Enjoy the experience and dont worry about getting the shot.]

YES! THIS!

Beautiful picture, BTW.

paullindqvist
94 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 18, 2012 02:26 as a reply to  @ Darweshi's post |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

There is nothing dim in a delivery room, not here in Sweden anyway...

Most babies don't have their eyes wide open the first days out, so bounce flash is certainly not gonna harm the baby. Direct flash should be avoided, not only because of the babies eyes but because the photos will look like crap and you will look like a tool who can't handle a camera. :lol:

I took these with bounce flash about 24 hours after she was delivered.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

reneefk
217 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 25, 2012 16:03 |  #30

talea wrote in post #12075236 (external link)
:)
In all likelihood you will be swept away by the moment and you will forget that you even have a camera! :)

That's what happened with my hubby! Thank goodness for the nurse who said "You might want to get a picture of this"

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

11,043 views & 0 likes for this thread, 23 members have posted to it.
Delivery room shots
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Discussion Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.