Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 21:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a good PC Photoshop system

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2011 10:51 |  #46

tim wrote in post #11952684 (external link)
Clever. I guess good is the operative word. I wonder if on mobo raid does that.

No, not the usual stuff, e.g. everything from NVidia, Via etc is right out. But I wouldn't trust it with my raid1 anyway. People keep saying that Intel's onboard RAID is actually good but I haven't tested it.

Myself I use Linux' software RAID and it kills everything else. FreeBSD also has decent raid1 and a filesystem with integrated raid functionality (ZFS). That's probably not an easy option for most photographers, but if you have a fileserver separate from your PP box anyway it might.

Windows does have software RAID built in but I didn't test that either.

"Test" is critical here. Before you put anything on a raid1 you need to test it, how it behaves on a sudden disk fail and how it recovers. You need to pull the cable off one disk, see what happens, write some more data (so that it is only on one disk), plug the other disk back in and then when it starts recovering you pull the power plug out of the whole box. After reboot you'll see how well it recovers. The NVidia onboard stuff is legendary to fail here, because the two parts (the driver in the OS and the part in the BIOS that does it before the OS is up) apparently sometimes disagree on who the good disk was. KABOOM there goes your data.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 04, 2011 14:48 |  #47

As long as you have good disconnected, ideally offsite backups, it doesn't much matter about the recoverability of raid.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,512 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 04, 2011 15:30 |  #48

tim wrote in post #11956379 (external link)
As long as you have good disconnected, ideally offsite backups, it doesn't much matter about the recoverability of raid.

I agree. If you've enough external backup space, you might as well just reap the performance benefits of Raid0. Raid 0+1, 1, 5 (or 6), 10 all afford you redundancy options not backup options.

Therefore, if you have a solid backup system & routine, HD RAID redundancy is (dare I say it ?) redundant. ;)

I am, however thinking of getting a Promise PCIe 4 port SATA RAID controller for the Raid0 array I store my images on. If anything, to make the backup to my eSATA LaCie run a little quicker (read speed).

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2011 15:47 |  #49

My computer is 5 years old, 3 gb of ram, 3 gb processor, using CS3. Its never crash, lagged or froze.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2011 15:51 |  #50

Raid and backup are different concepts. If you run windows in particular then losing disk contents, even if backed up entirely, is usually a big hassle. Raid isn't backup, it is availability.

You also don't want to lose the thing you worked on in the last hour or whatever interval you have for pushing to backup.

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,512 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 04, 2011 15:51 |  #51

kjonnnn wrote in post #11956737 (external link)
My computer is 5 years old, 3 gb of ram, 3 gb processor, using CS3. Its never crash, lagged or froze.

Excellent.

6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,512 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 04, 2011 15:55 |  #52

uOpt wrote in post #11956764 (external link)
Raid and backup are different concepts. If you run windows in particular then losing disk contents, even if backed up entirely, is usually a big hassle. Raid isn't backup, it is availability.

You also don't want to lose the thing you worked on in the last hour or whatever interval you have for pushing to backup.

This is true. However, those scenarios are rare (I've never actually had a HD fail on me in 15 yrs of building PC's) so this is all "just in case". For me, having a daily backup to an external drive is enough. I'd rather use raid for speed, speed and a bit more speed. :D

6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 04, 2011 16:23 |  #53

quickben wrote in post #11956802 (external link)
This is true. However, those scenarios are rare (I've never actually had a HD fail on me in 15 yrs of building PC's) so this is all "just in case". For me, having a daily backup to an external drive is enough. I'd rather use raid for speed, speed and a bit more speed. :D

But that makes you the statistical odd duck. Broken harddrives are generally not rare. And decent raid1 and raid5 bring you both safety and a speedup for certain patterns.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 04, 2011 16:42 |  #54

I've yet to have a hard drive fail, and i've been using hard drives since hard drives were available to consumers. I usually have 4 in my PC, currently they range from 2 months to about 5 years old.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

5,906 views & 0 likes for this thread
a good PC Photoshop system
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.