Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 05 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 00:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grasshoppers

PG07
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Mar 05, 2011 00:37 |  #1

Took this of some grasshoppers I found in the garden.
Not a macro lens so I suppose it would have been closer. It has been cropped and sharpened.
Too much yellow?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

sponsored links
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,887 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 05, 2011 01:39 |  #2

I have a hard time finding any grasshoppers and you end up with a row of them !
Good shot.
Think the colour is ok but there are some rather overexposed areas.
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

PG07
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 05, 2011 01:47 |  #3

LordV wrote in post #11959409 (external link)
I have a hard time finding any grasshoppers and you end up with a row of them !
Good shot.
Think the colour is ok but there are some rather overexposed areas.
Brian v.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

So to stop the problem with overexposure it would have been better to underexpose the shot ?

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

dgraham329
Cream of the Crop
11,133 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 05, 2011 09:38 |  #4

neat capture

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,075 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 05, 2011 10:19 |  #5

Slightly overexposed as mentioned but i like the poses of the grasshoppers :D

Kurt
Malaysia & Borneo herping/macro tours:
http://www.orionherpad​venture.com (external link)

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 05, 2011 10:24 |  #6

PG07 wrote in post #11959434 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback :-)

So to stop the problem with overexposure it would have been better to underexpose the shot ?

I really like that shot too - I just love photographing grasshoppers and crickets - such characters lol. Ours arent out yet.

Great shot with them all in a row on the leaf lol.

Re the exposure on this particular shot - you might be able to adjust it in either Photoshop or Elements. Depends on which software you use. Simply go to Enhance, Shadows and Highlights, and lower the highlights a little. That might help on this shot.

It would help if we knew your settings on this shot.
For future shots though, there are a couple of things you can adjust. It also might be dependent on the aperture number you are using as to how much light is getting in.

You could:

Change your metering mode ie to either spot metering or partial metering as that might help.

Take a light reading (with the camera) on the lighter area. Not sure how familiar you are with settings etc, but to do this, you would focus on the bright area, by half-pressing the shutter, then press the * button on the camera (this takes the light reading). Re-focus on, say, the main grasshoppers head and take the pic. Once taken check the pic and adjust if necessary.

Alternatively you could start off with a -1/3rd exposure compensation and see what happens. That might make the darker areas too dark, so its trial and error.

Hope that helps.

Linda

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,140 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 05, 2011 15:38 |  #7

would have been a great capture but the burnt highlights are distracting.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

PG07
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 05, 2011 20:04 as a reply to  @ racketman's post |  #8

Thanks for the feedback.
Understood Linda thanks :-)

I have done a little of PS on the raw file for improvement. I was blind to the blown highlights before. :rolleyes:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

NatX
97 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 05, 2011 20:59 |  #9

PG07 wrote in post #11963339 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback.
Understood Linda thanks :-)

I have done a little of PS on the raw file for improvement. I was blind to the blown highlights before. :rolleyes:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Beautiful capture! (=

A side question, if we have an image like that, how do we make it pop?

agiaco
917 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 05, 2011 22:03 |  #10

What a difference! Shooting and editing in RAW really provides a lot of tools to help fix up your shots, so I would advise always looking through and seeing what you can improve. I think there is a bit of color noise and quality issue in the shot, but it certainly looks better in the update.

@natx - Assuming you're shooting in RAW format, there are a lot of things you can do to make a shot "pop". I would suggest simply adjusting contrast, clarity, perhaps vibrance and also experiment on the sharpening tools. There are tons of tools under RAW to use in editing your shots. Too many to explain in one post. My only advice is not to abuse any of them too much as sometimes a shot with too much contrast, oversharpening, too much saturation, etc. looks more unnatural and generally worse than the original. Maybe this video will help you out a bit- http://www.youtube.com …ature=channel_v​ideo_title (external link)

Anthony
flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,373 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2011 22:38 as a reply to  @ agiaco's post |  #11

Good job on the re-do. Interesting shot, catching them lined up like that. Nice find.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,887 posts
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 06, 2011 01:48 |  #12

Yup -re -edited shot looks a lot better !
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

sponsored links

1,265 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grasshoppers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.