Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 04:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Picking a New Bag

Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2011 04:45 |  #1

I currently have a Naneu Pro U120. It's a pretty large backpack that is extremely deep because it has a laptop pocket. I'm 5'8 and 125 pounds, so it's a fairly inconvenient bag for much walking around. I used to have it loaded with a 40D, 350D, 70-200 f4, 18-55, sigma 28-70, 430 ex ii, and a Gary fong diffuser (the main big things). Move forwards a few months and I now have a 5D with a 24-70 and the 430 ex ii. Everything else is either sold or in the process of being sold (I might still keep the 70-200 if I can manage to find some money to live off of). I'm currently a college student who doesn't have much income to purchase any substantial new toys for probably the next three years. I'm also studying abroad in Australia next semester so I'm really looking to get something that will fit the gear I currently have with not much extra room and be useful for traveling.

If you've decided to not read that, I need to fit:
Gripped 5d, 24-70, 430 ex ii, and some small accessories (Possibly a 70-200 f4) in a bag that is portable and fairly small.

I've been looking at what's out there and I really like the Domke bags but I was also looking into a small backpack. I like the Lowepro Pro Runner 200 because of it's ability to strap a tripod to it, with a Domke shoulder bag I have no idea what I'll do to drag my tripod around.

So, what I've found so far, and I'm open to suggestions, include:
Lowepro Pro Runner 200
Domke F-6
Domke F-3x

Just curious what people think based on my needs. I don't have a camera store anywhere around me so I can't just go and see what I like. Kinda have to shop based on pictures which is very limiting. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 05, 2011 08:35 |  #2

I'd go with the F3x rather than the F6. As for carrying a tripod, adding a tripod to any small bag makes it bigger and more awkward to maneuver. I prefer to carry nine separately when (99% of the time) I'm using a shoulder bag.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 05, 2011 09:02 |  #3

ThinkTank Rotation 360 (external link). Look at the videos. More money, but no other backpack lets you access without taking it off.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

itf
72 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 05, 2011 11:03 |  #4

I have a Timbuk2 Snoop Medium Messenger. It holds a lot of stuff and has tripod straps on the bottom, but I find it too big for me becaus I don't have that much stuff to begin with. It might work for you though.

The insert is removable, so you can take it out and use it as a normal messenger bag if you want. I heard you can fit 7 shirts and 2-3pairs of jeans in it o.o

Bendel
THREAD ­ STARTER
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2011 12:54 |  #5

tvphotog wrote in post #11960374 (external link)
ThinkTank Rotation 360 (external link). Look at the videos. More money, but no other backpack lets you access without taking it off.

That's bigger than what I'm looking for, but it is an interesting idea. And I'm not sure how much it was, but more expensive is difficult right now since I'm going to Australia and everything

itf wrote in post #11960902 (external link)
I have a Timbuk2 Snoop Medium Messenger. It holds a lot of stuff and has tripod straps on the bottom, but I find it too big for me becaus I don't have that much stuff to begin with. It might work for you though.

The insert is removable, so you can take it out and use it as a normal messenger bag if you want. I heard you can fit 7 shirts and 2-3pairs of jeans in it o.o

What do you have that makes it too big? I need something that I can travel with and I might only have one body, a lens, and a flash besides some little stuff.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
Picking a New Bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.