Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How To Clean My Lens?

fvsurfer
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 05, 2011 22:36 |  #1

What's the best way to clean my lens? After using my camera last night, I noticed there were some spots on my lens. I just used a cloth that I received from my optometrist. Was that a good idea? Is it a good idea to buy a cleaning kit?

Canon EOS 60D/Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 05, 2011 23:10 |  #2

I use a lens cloth, which I assume is basically the same thing your optometrist gave you.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,358 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 05, 2011 23:16 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #3

The microfiber lens cloth is the best thing except for possibly PecPads. Avoid the so called lens tissues like the plague.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2011 23:31 |  #4

I use a "rocket blower" to clean dust/debris off - then fog and wipe w/a lens cloth (microfiber).

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

jiddle
298 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2011 00:27 as a reply to  @ hieu1004's post |  #5

lenspen is pretty effective for those hard to remove spots

5dmkiii | 17ts-e | 35L | 50L | 90ts-e | 135L | flickr (external link)

texaskev
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2011 00:33 |  #6

I use microfiber cloth that I get from the auto parts store. Just some moist breath on the glass and that soft rag gets it clean every time.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

shoturtle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 06, 2011 00:34 |  #7

lens pen and a rocket blower

Traveling is my passion, so I am a major Frequent Flyer.
Canon 60D, T1i/500D, Eos 1, Eos 630, and Olympus epl-1. Current Canon Lenses ef 100 2.8, ef 85 1.8, ef 50 1.4, ef 28 1.8, ef 50 1.8,ef 28-135, ef 70-300, ef-s 18-55, ef-s 55-250, 500D close up lens. Current Olympus lenses oly m4/3 14-42, oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro with m4/3 adapter, panasonic 45-200, panasonic 20 1.7. And a Part time Pentax K-X shooter.

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,493 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 06, 2011 00:35 |  #8

microfiber

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2011 01:56 |  #9

Blower for dust and lenspen for finishing.

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2011 06:30 |  #10

I generally use a micro-fibre cloth, but at times have been known to use a t-shirt.
The front element is a lot tougher than most people think.
These links might ease your concerns a bit
http://www.kurtmunger.​com/dirty_lens_article​id35.html (external link)
and
http://www.lensrentals​.com …0/front-element-scratches (external link)

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 06, 2011 06:42 |  #11

A squeeze-bulb blower such as a Rocket Blower by Giottos, quality lens tissue (such as that sold by Kodak and now Tiffen), a good lens cleaning fluid, and PROPER TECHNIQUE is the way that I have cleaned my lenses for decades.

What is "proper technique"?

First - the goal is to clean the lens (or filter - I would use the very same process) without grinding any dirt/debris into the lens. To me, this absolutely dictates single-use surfaces for anything that touches the lens. That's why I use lens tissues instead of a washable cloth or - particularly - something like a lens pen.

Here are the steps that I use to clean a lens:

1. Use a squeeze-bulb blower to blow any loose dust off the lens. 90% of the time, step 1 is all that is necessary.

2. Take a lens tissue out of the pack. Fold it once, holding only what was the ends of the tissue. You want to be extremely careful to NEVER TOUCH the areas of the lens tissue that will be touching the lens. This will avoid transferring oils from your fingers to the lens.

3. Moisten the folded portion of the lens tissue with a little lens cleaner. You don't want the tissue dripping wet, but it must be damp.

CAUTION: NEVER apply lens cleaner directly to the lens (though it won’t hurt a filter, you don’t want liquid leaking into the lens’ innards).

4. Wipe LIGHTLY across the lens ONCE with the damp tissue. Then either turn it over or fold it so that you can wipe again, but with an unused surface. You can do this as often as needed, as long as you never wipe the lens twice with any surface of the tissue. This prevents scratches. Again, make sure you never touch an area of the tissue that will touch the lens.

5. Ensuring that the lens is actually clean, use a dry tissue, handled the same way as above, to wipe the lens dry. Since you have already removed the dirt, there's no risk of scratching the lens with the dry tissue.

6. Dispose of the used lens tissues in a proper trash receptacle.

That's it in a nutshell. Simple and effective. I've been cleaning my lenses this way for over 40 years, and all of them have pristine glass (and none have ever worn "protective" filters).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,245 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 06, 2011 06:58 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #12

Rocket blower followed by LensPen followed by breath moisture followed by microfiber cloth. LensPen is particularly effective with greasy fingerprints and seagull droppings.

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 06, 2011 07:22 |  #13

Basicaly what SkipD says - I use Eclipse solution and their tissues. I also avoid cleaning as much as possible - I keep the lens cap on when not shooting and use a rocket blower on both the lens and lens cap each time after shooting. Good practice to also keep the lens cap clean and avoid putting it in your pocket full of lint while you shoot etc. Always using a hood while you shoot also helps keep the need to clean to a minimum.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

fvsurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2011 00:53 |  #14

Thank you everybody for your help!

fvsurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 07, 2011 00:54 |  #15

hieu1004 wrote in post #11964358 (external link)
I use a "rocket blower" to clean dust/debris off - then fog and wipe w/a lens cloth (microfiber).

Can I use a duster from those aerosol cans that we use on computers?

sponsored links

5,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
How To Clean My Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.