Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

Tiger_993
553 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 06, 2011 15:00 |  #1456

I went downtown to shoot the Minneapolis Central Library this weekend (just for fun). The unique architecture is cool, but it's a mixed lighting nightmare. In the end, I liked the blue glow of the diffused light coming in the skylights, so I took the easy way out and didn't attempt to adjust it to match the interior.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

sponsored links
The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 06, 2011 15:43 |  #1457
bannedPermanent ban

my god that whole thing's a library? I didn't know that many books existed!

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

Tiger_993
553 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 06, 2011 17:47 |  #1458

SnapShot Photos wrote in post #11968049 (external link)
my god that whole thing's a library? I didn't know that many books existed!

Tax dollars at work ;)

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

DingAnSich
154 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2011 17:56 |  #1459

foyer > kitchen. are reflections in couter tops and other smooth surfaces fround upon?
any c&c welcome... also would you have flipped back the rug? i'm thinking i should have.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

www.dingansic.com (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2011 18:23 |  #1460

TheReal7 wrote in post #11954594 (external link)
A few from yesterday!

Nice work.

Luxury wrote in post #11961748 (external link)
^Really good info!

Hey Mike, what is your workflow as far as fireplaces go?

Photoshop 'em all.

A lit fireplace won't detract from a photo, in my opinion, plus it's like a light - the potential buyer wants to know that it works.

TGrundvig wrote in post #11963609 (external link)
I wish the fireplace gas was turned on when I shot this. Ooops, the colors are off just a tad because I save this as AdobeRGB.

By the way, this was a hand held three frame bracket with no flash at all.

photoshop it ;)

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2011 18:26 |  #1461

Tiger_993 wrote in post #11967815 (external link)
I went downtown to shoot the Minneapolis Central Library this weekend (just for fun). The unique architecture is cool, but it's a mixed lighting nightmare. In the end, I liked the blue glow of the diffused light coming in the skylights, so I took the easy way out and didn't attempt to adjust it to match the interior.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sweet.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2011 18:30 |  #1462

TGrundvig wrote in post #11967353 (external link)
Not sure what you are reading, but flash in NOT necessary for HDR. If you cover the entire DR with your frames then what is the point of the flash? Now, if you want to do things like MK does, then yes, you need a flash. There have been a few times I have used a flash but it was for pulling out shadows. I will fire off the flash in different directions for multiple frames. Then, I blend those images into one 'Flash Blend'. I use that as a layer in PS to help pull out shadows.

I know of guys that say HDR is not possible with out a flash, this isn't so. Just look at my shots, do they not have well lit interiors and window views? Well, I did it without a flash. It is all in how you blend the images. I like Enfuse, personally. If the DR is really high then I make multiple blends...one for the window view, one for the interior, and one for the entire AEB set. Then I blend those together in layers and I never needed a flash. I can use layer masks to pull out shadows rather quickly.

As for lens, I still suggest the Tokina 12-24 to everyone using a crop sensor. I love that lens and it has done an excellent job for me over the years. One of these days I will upgrade it to the new version but I'm in no hurry. I like the fact I can zoom in if I need to in order to get a better composition. I know there are some die-hard fans of primes, but using a prime means you have to move the tripod around even more or spend more time in PP cropping to the best composition. It is a lot easier to just zoom in a tad, shoot, move to next shot.

pretty much agreed 100%. i'm now doing all my blending manually in photoshop via masks, as i just began to detest PM's lack of control.

i'm bracketing seven shots, one stop apart, then creating a scene lit entirely with flash with multiple stobes/modifiers, and then blending that all by hand, usually 2 or 3 of the ambient exposures blended with the flash scene to get what i want. i find that gets the most natural result in terms of color and light quality, but it's also very time consuming. so it all depends on your business model. i can't really shoot more than two homes a week without getting overworked, whereas someone else (like TG above) shoots many more a week and needs to be quick.

Jnader
126 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 06, 2011 22:33 |  #1463

mikekelley wrote in post #11968938 (external link)
pretty much agreed 100%. i'm now doing all my blending manually in photoshop via masks, as i just began to detest PM's lack of control.

i'm bracketing seven shots, one stop apart, then creating a scene lit entirely with flash with multiple stobes/modifiers, and then blending that all by hand, usually 2 or 3 of the ambient exposures blended with the flash scene to get what i want. i find that gets the most natural result in terms of color and light quality, but it's also very time consuming. so it all depends on your business model. i can't really shoot more than two homes a week without getting overworked, whereas someone else (like TG above) shoots many more a week and needs to be quick.

I'm learning how to blend manually right now with the ps book y'all told me about....have you ever thought bat posting a tutorial on YouTube on it? Let me know if you get around to it, I'd love to see how you go about it...

Canon 5d III, 14 mm L, 24mm Ts-e, 70-200mm 2.8L ii, 100mm Macro L, 24-105mm L, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

djharmonix
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 07, 2011 08:12 |  #1464

mikekelley wrote in post #11968938 (external link)

I want to learn to do that as well. Not for my current business model where I shoot 15 houses or more/week but for the high end stuff..

This is my objective of 2011 to land a few high end contracts like hotels and such. Then really take my time with layers, flashes etc..

Please, click ''LIKE'' on my facebook page for real estate photography! Thank you for your support!http://www.facebook.co​m/photoresidence (external link)

TheReal7
Goldmember
3,574 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 07, 2011 09:47 |  #1465

DingAnSich wrote in post #11968781 (external link)
foyer > kitchen. are reflections in couter tops and other smooth surfaces fround upon?
any c&c welcome... also would you have flipped back the rug? i'm thinking i should have.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I have no problems with reflections. Shiny and reflective usually means "new" and polished. Good selling points.

The first images looks rather warm. Looking at the heating vent and matting on the photo are very yellow/warm. A tweak in the WB may be in order.

I tend to say away from straight on compositions. It works sometimes but not most times and often makes the composition feel choked.

If you had included the view in the room on the left or the entrance to the right would have opened up the photo a lot and still would showcase the stairs.

#2 is a little dark in the shadows. A simple "highlights & shadows" adjustment in photoshop would be the quickest fix for the shadow detail.

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magic (external link)
Listen to my music: Fata Morgana (external link)

Jnader
126 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 07, 2011 11:11 |  #1466

what picture is better? first link or second?

http://www.flickr.com …/59469199@N02/5​506159529/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …/59469199@N02/5​506756676/ (external link)

Canon 5d III, 14 mm L, 24mm Ts-e, 70-200mm 2.8L ii, 100mm Macro L, 24-105mm L, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

The ­ Framed ­ Life
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 07, 2011 11:25 |  #1467
bannedPermanent ban

you have some bad haloing around the lights in both

The Framed Life (external link)
Canon 30D
70-200mm F/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L

►►► 30D For Sale ◄◄◄
James Robertson

fnothaft
575 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 07, 2011 11:36 |  #1468

Your verticals are allllllllll over the place; the crop doesn't help this. You have the biggest problem with the oven coming in from the side, which is leaning as if it is drunk. I might crop the oven out. I also think the HDR is overdone, which isn't necessarily ideal for an interior shot.

Body: Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 • Lenses: Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Lensbaby 2.0, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 135 f/2L USM • Lighting: Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Support: Dolica CX620B104
Gear listWebsite (external link)Flickr (external link)

Jnader
126 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 07, 2011 11:36 |  #1469

yea i noticed that too... but one is done in photomatix, the other done in enfuse... thats the difference im trying to see...can you tell the difference?

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 07, 2011 11:50 |  #1470

gs3= photomatix
gs4 = enfuse

sponsored links

2,067,887 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.