Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Feb 2011 (Friday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gripped T2i with stroboframe?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 25, 2011 23:40 |  #1

I've grown quite accustomed to using my stroboframe when shooting candids. It lets me keep my flash in the right position when shooting vertical or horizontal.

However, my wife just bought a grip for my T2i. (My wife is just awesome!). At first I thought this would be ideal. But I'm finding that it's all wrong! The grip side of the stroboframe is on the left so I can operate the shutter with my right hand. But when I flip the camera vertical, this puts the grip button on the bottom left - exactly opposite of where it should be! I can't mount the bracket on the other side because it would block the shutter release on horizontal shots.

What does everyone else using a stroboframe and a grip do here? Do you only use one at a time and deal with the awkward position of the shutter release when shooting? Is there a grip that has the button on the other side? Or is there a stroboframe (or other) that maybe would allow me to flip the camera the opposite direction?

Since I originally posted this, I did discover this nifty looking device: http://promediagear.3d​cartstores.com …ripBattery-Pack_p_30.html (external link) but I'm still curious about whatothers are doing in the same situation. Also, if anyone has this bracket I'd like their opinion on it before I go blow more on the bracket than my wife spent on the grip.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 28, 2011 12:05 |  #2

Wow. No suggestions at all after two days? I figured by now I would have a 20 different opinions, a couple people debating the 50mm 1.8 vs 1.4 and someone correcting my spelling only to find out that I had it right to begin with. :-P

NJ.Murphy
91 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 12:39 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #3

Which Stroboframe are you using? Not knowing may keep some people from replying.

I use the Camera Flip (external link) with my 30D and 5D. Ir rotates the camera counter-clockwise so the shutter button is always on the right.

It's too small to use with a gripped body; you can mount a gripped body, but the frame is too tight to rotate. Even though the Rebels are smaller, I don't think they're small enough. Plus a grip adds unnecessary weight to the whole combo.

Talking Pictures (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 28, 2011 12:48 as a reply to  @ NJ.Murphy's post |  #4

I'm using the quick flip 350 right now. I thought it was in my signature. I guess that's what I get for thinking.:o

I looked at the camera flip but as you said, it won't fit when the body is gripped. Another inch and it would probably work (are you reading this stroboframe?)

NJ.Murphy
91 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2011 16:08 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #5

I've worked with a Quick Flip in the past, but never cared for it. The hinge never stayed tight enough, leading to the flash flipping at inopportune times. And I was always pinching my fingers in it.

Talking Pictures (external link)

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 01, 2011 21:28 |  #6

I made an additional "L" bracket out of 1/4" aluminum stock, drilled and tapped to bolt to the QuickFlip. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. It's very solid and looks like part of the original bracket.

Tim
Equipment

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 02, 2011 00:14 |  #7

Tim S wrote in post #11939363 (external link)
I made an additional "L" bracket out of 1/4" aluminum stock, drilled and tapped to bolt to the QuickFlip. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. It's very solid and looks like part of the original bracket.

That would be terrific!

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 08, 2011 10:09 |  #8

Can you reverse the bracket - mount camera with bracket handle on right side - and reverse the hot shoe bracket as well ??

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

l7s4
216 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 09, 2011 13:00 |  #9

kfreels...my stoboframe has a height adjustment on the vertical strut where the hinged top piece attaches...look for 2 screws and adjustment slots. I moved mine to the max position and use it gripped and ungripped.

Good luck, Paul

sponsored links

1,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gripped T2i with stroboframe?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.