Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Feb 2011 (Friday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D is off to Canon!

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 07, 2011 21:44 |  #31

Cassie wrote in post #11977134 (external link)
Just got the camera back, and I am finally happy!!

I took one shot and noticed a big difference, then I read the repair sheet and it said the auto focus did not operate properly. Adjusted exposure, AF basic and focus, cleaned the C-mos, and checked all factory specs. I kept thinking maybe it was me, but now I am so glad I went ahead and sent it in anyway.

:D:)

Im really glad you're happy with the fixes. Im debating a service trip now. Can you describe what issues you were having prior to sending it in (also maybe post a sample photo), and what you said to them to describe your AF issues?

Thanks much--
PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

sponsored links
Cassie
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 191 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 08, 2011 10:22 |  #32

Hi PPmax,

Thanks! My issue was inconsistent focus. So after a year of real world shooting with the camera, trying to rule out user error, sigma lens issues, and poor technique, I decided to do some test shots with all the lenses I have. After looking at them in zoom browser, I could see in a lot of the shots that nothing even remotely around the focus point was in focus. Sending the camera in was really simple and easy, I just filled out the reqair request online and stated it had inconsistent focusing with all lenses, that's it, they didn't ask for proof or samples, just the receipt and warranty info.

Now I can look at the 7D picture thread and not feel envious :p Don't hesitate to send it in if you think there is a problem, sorry at work can't post pics right now.

http://thompson-photo.smugmug.com/ (external link)
https://instagram.com/​vegaquarium (external link)
5D MK IV
35 F/2 IS*Shorty-Forty*50L*85L II*135L :D
430 EX II

darobby
47 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 08, 2011 19:20 |  #33

Thank you all for the posts. It gave me the realization that I need to send mine in as well. I thought my 100-400 was soft but all this time it was my 7D. Just like the rest of you, sometimes good sometimes bad, I tried micro-focus but it was like a moving target. I just got my 5DII and got sharp images from my 100-400. Somehow the inconstancy only shows up on the long end, at least that's where I noticed it. So now I waiting to hear the verdict, I got the email stating they had received it and confirmed repair would not cost anything. Thanks all for your great info.

5DMkIII, 5D MkII, 7D Gripped, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 24-105L, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 100 Macro L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 L, 2XTCIII 430EXii, 580EXii

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 08, 2011 19:58 |  #34

Mine was received by Canon on Monday, repaired and shipped back out the same day. FedEx tried to drop it off today but needs a signature, So I'll have it tomorrow.

It's interesting that all these focus repairs are being made at no charge, even if out of warranty. It must be Canon's way of admitting that it may be a mfg defect.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,436 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2011 20:04 |  #35

Or good customer service... They have a track record of doing this actually.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 08, 2011 20:20 |  #36

Yep good customer service. My girlfriend dropped her Canon point and shoot camera after a couple months of ownership. Cracked the rear LCD and didn't work. She sent it in to Canon and was returned with a new LCD and zero charge. She was impressed and anytime someone asks about getting a point and shoot camera she tells how great Canon's service is. Better and cheaper than buying a magazine ad.

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Mar 08, 2011 22:00 |  #37

Im so jealous for the fast turn around time for you guys. Its been a month today and canon still has my 7D and 17-55. They sent back my 70-200 after 2weeks though. Hopefully i get it back by next week.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

Arstine
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 09, 2011 01:12 |  #38

Mine came back yesterday. I haven't gone out to play with it but the couple shots I did indoors seem to be consistent.

My repair sheet said specifically that the AF was out of spec and that it was adjusted. There was also the usual cleaned this and that but my mirror has dust on it so who knows if they actually cleaned anything. It wasn't real dirty in the first place.

And round trip was 10 days with regular FedEx ground out to them.

My camera says Canon and goes clickity clickity click.
My Flickr (external link)- (external link)Snapshots and fun pics go here.
http://www.photosbyjas​on.net (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 09, 2011 05:13 |  #39

musashi wrote in post #11984698 (external link)
Im so jealous for the fast turn around time for you guys. Its been a month today and canon still has my 7D and 17-55. They sent back my 70-200 after 2weeks though. Hopefully i get it back by next week.

Call Canon corporate offices. It's what I had to do a couple of years ago when they had my 40D for over a month, and kept giving me different excuses. I spoke to someone in Corporate customer service and had the camera back in 2 days along with a follow up call from the person I spoke to. That past problem is what prompted me to join CPS. If they have a lot of CPS member cameras come in your equipment sits even longer.

Mike R

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 09, 2011 08:08 |  #40

I'm lucky enough to live about 35 minutes from the Canon Service Center here in NJ. I've never had to pay for a repair even with two lenses that were out of warranty by 4 years. Last year my 6-7 year old 50mm 1.4 stopped focusing. Brought it in and they replaced the focusing motor for free. My 6-7 year old 70-200 f4 had some strange focusing issues. Canon replaced the whole rear lens assembly. They gave me the old rear collar that had my original serial number just for insurance purchases.

Anyway when ever I think about switching to Nikon I always think of the great service I have with Canon and of course it's convenient to drop off the equipment and talk to the service person and get it back in 3 days. I'm not even a CPS member but feel like one!

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 09, 2011 09:30 |  #41

It's seems as if Canon only charges if the reason for service was negligence on the part of the owner.

Mike R

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 09, 2011 11:06 |  #42

Mike R wrote in post #11986073 (external link)
Call Canon corporate offices. It's what I had to do a couple of years ago when they had my 40D for over a month, and kept giving me different excuses. I spoke to someone in Corporate customer service and had the camera back in 2 days along with a follow up call from the person I spoke to. That past problem is what prompted me to join CPS. If they have a lot of CPS member cameras come in your equipment sits even longer.

I was quoted 4-6 weeks so i need to wait for that to be over before i start complaining. Even if they know that they can give it back to you in 1 week, i think they are obligated to quote the 4-6 weeks timeframe. Oh well 2 more weeks and i guess i start complaining.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 09, 2011 18:08 |  #43

Mike R wrote in post #11987130 (external link)
It's seems as if Canon only charges if the reason for service was negligence on the part of the owner.

Walk in service customers seem to get a much better response--I've got a pair of lenses that the repair quote exceeded the market value--and I'm a CPS member. :confused:

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 09, 2011 20:28 |  #44

Mike R wrote in post #11986073 (external link)

I think canon read my post coz for some reason, im getting it all tomorrow!!! Now im gonna have something to play with again!!! Lol.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 09, 2011 20:31 |  #45

Back from Canon and here's what they said they found\repaired:

"your product has been examined and it was found that the part did not operate properly. The unit did not function properly from time to time. The bottom cover ass'y was replaced and the product functions were confirmed. Adjusted exposure,FFD & focus, cleaned C-mos anad checked all factory specs. Update firmware"

Unfortunetly, I sent them my grip also which wasn't powering the camera. They didn't even look at it. Canon said they will email me a prepaid shipping label and I have to send the camera and grip back to them. I better try out the AI servo operation before I pack it up.

Mike R

sponsored links

7,253 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D is off to Canon!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.