Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 09 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 16:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Couple of hawks flying

JHcanon1980
79 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 09, 2011 16:36 |  #1

Not sure where I should have posted this but I got a couple of hawks flying around yesterday. It is my first try at birds in flight or anything in motion really. They were pretty high up. I watched them for about 15 minutes before they dove down to the ground for the kill! I tried to find them but they were a few hundred yards away through some woods. I never did find them. Well let me know what you think. Thanks as always.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

L]

sponsored links
noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 09, 2011 17:15 |  #2

A fellow Ohioan---nice!

These are two mature Red Tailed Hawks---and I've been watching them pair off for the mating season too; along 71 and 271, they're everywhere right now. The one on the left, which is considerably larger, is the female.

Considering that you were trying to capture not one but two moving subjects at a great distance, I'd say you did pretty well---both are in good focus!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noahcomet/

JHcanon1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 09, 2011 20:19 as a reply to  @ noahcomet's post |  #3

My cousin lives right by 271! That is a very nice area. I usually find myself down there at the country clubs off to the west a tad. My cousin works at one. I myself live in outside of Youngstown.

I really like my tamron 70-300 VC. Still not too sure if im getting razor sharp images or not. Most of my wildlife images tend to be cropped quite a bit. Should the image still be absolutely perfect cropped in close or is there a limit as to how far you can crop and retain IQ? I know the logical thing is longer lens or a 2X, but that's not in the cards right now. LOL.

I hope to god I don't have a bad Tammy!! I checked it and it seemed ok but I am no expert. If it is focusing wrong they will replace it right?

Josh

L]

JPBones73
389 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 10, 2011 01:21 |  #4

Hawks tend to soar a lot, which makes them difficult to photograph. You need to get to Cape May Point, NJ during the Fall migration in October. With the right winds, hundreds may fly past you at eye level.

70D, 7D Mark II
24-105 4.0L, 70-200 2.8L, 400 f/4 DO
http://500px.com/JimMc​Coy (external link)

noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2011 07:59 as a reply to  @ JPBones73's post |  #5

A really good lens should give you crisp, razor-sharp images at 100% viewing--full size on the screen. If you have to scale the image down to make it look sharp, something is off, but before blaming the lens, you need to make sure it's not operator error! :) One likely culprit is a shutter-speed that's too slow, especially if you're going after a moving target. Also, for birds in flight, I recommend turning off the VC stabilization--it could actually be working against you. And if you've got a UV filter, try shooting without it. Some filters, especially less-expensive Best Buy type ones, can cause real image degradation. (I don't use 'em normally, and I only use really good ones when I do---others will cringe at this, but it's a personal choice.)

If you've got a fast shutter (at 300mm for a moving target, say 1/1000 of a second or faster--1/1600 is ideal; for a still subject at 300mm using the VC, maybe 1/800), no filter on, and the image is still soft or blurry at full-size viewing, then it might well be a poor copy of the lens. For what it's worth, zoom lenses are usually a tad less sharp than good prime lenses, but you should still be able to get usable 100% crops. Adding a 2x would only make things worse.

I hope it's not the lens, but if it is, you should be able to get a new one from Tamron.

noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2011 08:43 |  #6

One obvious thing I neglected to mention is, of course, focus itself. For a moving subject, you'll want to be AI SERVO mode rather than ONE SHOT.

JHcanon1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 10, 2011 11:52 as a reply to  @ noahcomet's post |  #7

I will have to try a still image with a tripod and see if it is razor sharp at 100%

I never heard not using VC for birds in flight, so I will try that too. I used 1/1000th for that shot. I also did have a UV filter on and I can try it without. Even though it is a good one, the hood will provide enough protection. I also was in AI Servo so its either gonna be I need more practice (which is the case anyway, can't ever have too much!) or the lens is bad. It is in the serial number range for the questionable ones so I hope its just me.

L]

noahcomet
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2011 11:57 |  #8

If you're tripod mounted, definitely disable the VC---stabilization on a tripod actually makes matters worse!

sponsored links

938 views & 0 likes for this thread
Couple of hawks flying
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.