Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!

this thread is locked
amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,796 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 09, 2011 12:35 |  #8866

I've never used an XSi, but I did have an XTi a while back.... the mkII is significantly better for sports shooting.

Mark

sponsored links
BV1DMKIIn
291 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 09, 2011 12:55 |  #8867

1DCLICKER wrote in post #11986452 (external link)
Whats with everyone saying its so heavy? i hand hold for hours on end with the 100-400mm USM IS L and im fine with it.. BUT in saying that, strap over the shoulder and going for a walk it feels a little heavy after a while rubing on the shoulder muscle.

I am the same way. Hand holding (with the E1 hand strap) is a breeze, but once I put that weight around my neck, it starts messing with my posture.

1DMKIIn, 5DMKIII, 20D, 50 mm f/1.8, 10-22 EF-S, 28-135IS, 28-75 f/2.8 Tamron, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 100-1400L, 24-105L, 580EXII

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 09, 2011 13:24 |  #8868

Whats with everyone saying its so heavy? i hand hold for hours on end with the 100-400mm USM IS L and im fine with it.. BUT in saying that, strap over the shoulder and going for a walk it feels a little heavy after a while rubing on the shoulder muscle.

You're not a chubby, out-of-shape old guy.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

FStop7
76 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 09, 2011 16:47 |  #8869

I wouldn't call it frustratingly heavy, but after 3 or 4 hours of standing while hand holding my 1D2N with 70-200 2.8L IS II mounted it does start to get old. My arms don't get tired but the off-center weight starts to make my back feel off kilter. Usually after around 4 hours I'll break out the monopod to give myself a bit of a break. I don't use a neck strap (might pick up a sling, though) but I am a religious hand strap user. I have had E-1 straps on all of my cameras for years.

jsdad
37 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 09, 2011 17:43 |  #8870

It feels like a point and shoot to me. But I'm coming from film days of working with a 4x5, Mamiya RB-67 and a Hassy, so compared to those, it's like a toy. It's all relative.

:lol:

1DCLICKER
202 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2011 00:09 |  #8871

matonanjin wrote in post #11988633 (external link)
You're not a chubby, out-of-shape old guy.

Nope, Im a 196cm tall Bouncer lol, so compared to a drunk dude with an attitude it is seemingly light to carry around hahaha

Tomnomnom
89 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2011 02:23 |  #8872

Just got my Mark II a little over a month ago after replacing a stolen XT. Paired with a 50mm 1.4 and Tokina 10-17 Fish, I couldn't ask for more.

Only problem is that the battery since used is a bit weak. Currently looking for a replacement. Can anybody suggest any alternatives to the official canon battery? I know third parties can be a bit wonky in different areas, especially fit, but has anyone had any positive experiences with any?

Tom Flores
1D Mark II|Canon 17-35mm 2.8L|Canon 50mm 1.4|Canon 135mm 2.0L|Tokina 10-17 3.5 Fisheye|380EX
FLUIDR (external link)

1DCLICKER
202 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2011 03:11 |  #8873

Tomnomnom wrote in post #11992908 (external link)
Just got my Mark II a little over a month ago after replacing a stolen XT. Paired with a 50mm 1.4 and Tokina 10-17 Fish, I couldn't ask for more.

Only problem is that the battery since used is a bit weak. Currently looking for a replacement. Can anybody suggest any alternatives to the official canon battery? I know third parties can be a bit wonky in different areas, especially fit, but has anyone had any positive experiences with any?

Mate i got about 4 third party batterys all have worked fine, remember they are NIMH batterys so they do get weak if you dont give them a good recycle here and there, these are what i use
http://www.camera-battery.com.au …eos-1d-mark-ii-n/BBCB-44/ (external link)

baowow
303 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 10, 2011 09:06 |  #8874

unchman14 wrote in post #11988197 (external link)
I'm looking to upgrade from my XSi for more sports shooting. Would the mkII be a good choice? I've got a 70-200 f4L to pair with it.

I went from an Xsi to the 1dmkII. All I can say is, it is like going from a cargo van to a Lotus Elise. A much speedier camera with better control, max ISO of 3200 instead of 1600, 45 AF points compared to 9. The only thing I missed was the larger LCD screen, but everything else more than makes up for it.

The camera is beginning to show its age though and feels a bit sluggish now when trying to AF compared to newer bodies like my 50D. Even my T2i feels a bit snappier in locking focus (but it is off a lot of the times, the 1d2 nails it every time even though it feels a bit slower).

I need to stay out of the buy/sell forum. It's burning a hole in the wallet...

midget
511 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 10, 2011 09:24 |  #8875

have a 1d2n coming in this afternoon. can't wait to join you all!

40d + 50mm f1.8 MK I + my feet.

unchman14
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 10, 2011 12:19 |  #8876

baowow wrote in post #11994052 (external link)
I went from an Xsi to the 1dmkII. All I can say is, it is like going from a cargo van to a Lotus Elise. A much speedier camera with better control, max ISO of 3200 instead of 1600, 45 AF points compared to 9. The only thing I missed was the larger LCD screen, but everything else more than makes up for it.

The camera is beginning to show its age though and feels a bit sluggish now when trying to AF compared to newer bodies like my 50D. Even my T2i feels a bit snappier in locking focus (but it is off a lot of the times, the 1d2 nails it every time even though it feels a bit slower).

I assume the body of the Mark II is bigger too? I've got big hands, and the xsi is tiny in them. And how is the noise at 1600 and 3200? I hate shooting above 400 on my xsi, because of the noise.

Canon 1D Mark II | 70-200 f/4 L | Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Cody Unczur Photography (external link)

amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,796 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 10, 2011 12:22 |  #8877

baowow wrote in post #11994052 (external link)

I am surprised to read this, maybe your 1D2 is in need of service as I don't think I've ever heard anyone favorably compare the 50D's AF as being better than the 1D2's AF....and certainly not a T2i. I've used my 1D2 side by side with my previous 50D, and with the same lenses, my 1D2 killed the 50D in every way except the rear lcd screen (and the ability to MA lenses). I also had a 7D for a while and still preferred the AF and images produced by the 1D2 over the 7D. These statements are regarding action shooting, mostly birds in flight, and don't take into account such features as Live View, video, etc... that are not useful for action shooting.

Mark

amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,796 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 10, 2011 12:37 |  #8878

unchman, these aren't the exact models you're asking about, but this is the approx. size difference you can expect comparing a Rebel to a 1D series:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

unchman14
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 10, 2011 17:40 |  #8879

awesome. looks like the 1d will fit perfectly in my bear paws.

Canon 1D Mark II | 70-200 f/4 L | Rokinon 14 f/2.8
Cody Unczur Photography (external link)

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 10, 2011 19:18 |  #8880

baowow

I own both a Original 1Ds and the the 1D Mark II and they both outdid the 30D ,and the 50D on auto-focus and amyandmark3 is right you need to have your camera check into .My 1Ds which is even older than 1D Mark II is able to out-focus the 50D and the 30D.
Which is why I gave them to my friends:p

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

sponsored links

1,354,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.