Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

back button focus, why?

ppucci
376 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 10, 2011 17:48 |  #31

I have started using it a while ago and I love it too. Just feel stupid when I forget it is set and keep wondering why the camera isn't focusing... still need to get used to it, but it is definitely a lot better than on the shutter button.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (gripped) | Canon EOS Rebel 2000 (EOS 300) Film SLR | Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 430EXII | Canon SX210 IS | Fujifilm X100
Flickr
 (external link)

sponsored links
Stuart ­ Leslie
611 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 10, 2011 18:19 |  #32

Made the switch about a year ago and I don't even think about it any more and my shots are so much more accurately focused. Shooting Soccer, wildlife, portraits, landscapes, street. One of the rare times I would recommend EVERYONE make the switch and spend the time to get used to it. You won't regret.

Gear: Canon 5D III, 5D and 7D | 300 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 85 f/1.8 | 17-55 f/2.8 [COLOR=navy]| 24-105 f/4L | 10-22 | Zeiss 35 f/2 | TS-E 24II | Alienbees
SmugMug Gallery (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 10, 2011 18:22 |  #33

I switched it once, then kept forgetting I had it setup that way. I switched it back to the half-press and tried it again not too long ago. Since I've been taking more pictures recently, now I actually remember that it's set to back button focus.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 10, 2011 20:13 |  #34

For those who are interested in more facts and discussion, scroll down to the bottom of this page and check out the Similar Threads section -- the thread title triggered a forum mini-search that yielded a lot of good results!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,423 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 10, 2011 20:26 |  #35

It is the 2nd option I set on every single camera I buy, the first being shutting off the beep.

I love this feature, I can focus on any part of the scenery beforehand, then recompose, remeter, etc and shoot something else. I could never have focusing on the shutter button again after having done this. :)

Imagine shooting snowboarders... Focus on the end of a ramp, meter for the snow, and then just wait, when the snowboard hits air off the ramp, you snap the shot. If you have focus on the shutter button, you could very well end up focusing on the trees, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

soonerce
236 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2011 22:53 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #36

It's amazing, I try to turn every Canon DSLR user I know onto it. And on the 7D you can assign the * button to focus on the active AF point and the AF-ON button to focus on the user defined registered AF point (or vice versa). That way in the heat of the action you can quickly change which AF point you focus to so you don't have to focus and recompose. The 7D is so customizable...totally impressed so far.

7D - Σ30 - EFS 15-85 - EF 100-400L - 430EX II

Overkill-F1
479 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 10, 2011 23:27 |  #37

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11998092 (external link)
It is the 2nd option I set on every single camera I buy, the first being shutting off the beep.

I couldn't agree more!
I love back button focus, really dislike the bleeping beep!
...Terry

50D, 450D, 18-55mm IS, 30mm f/1.4, 60mm f2.8 macro, 100mm f2,
For Sale- EF 24mm f/2.8
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". Dave Barry

itzcryptic
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 10, 2011 23:31 |  #38

Overkill-F1 wrote in post #11999117 (external link)
I couldn't agree more!
I love back button focus, really dislike the bleeping beep!
...Terry

Well, the first thing I would do on a new body would be to disable shooting without a card. Then all that other stuff.

maximus96
561 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 10, 2011 23:41 |  #39

soonerce wrote in post #11998974 (external link)
It's amazing, I try to turn every Canon DSLR user I know onto it. And on the 7D you can assign the * button to focus on the active AF point and the AF-ON button to focus on the user defined registered AF point (or vice versa). That way in the heat of the action you can quickly change which AF point you focus to so you don't have to focus and recompose. The 7D is so customizable...totally impressed so far.

really? i never knew it can do that. how can i set mine like that?

Canon 5D III | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50L | 85L II
San Francisco Bay Area Real Estate Photographer - Sammy Lo Photography (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,329 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2011 08:41 |  #40

maximus96 wrote in post #11999176 (external link)
really? i never knew it can do that. how can i set mine like that?

Once the home points are defined, you set to use them in C.Fn IV-1.

Anders

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2011 10:17 |  #41

For me it feels more natural keeping the focus separate from the shutter button since I had learn to do this coming from Canon FD series of film cameras.

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 11, 2011 11:31 |  #42

apersson850 wrote in post #12000726 (external link)
Once the home points are defined, you set to use them in C.Fn IV-1.

Can you expand on this, I do not quite understand what you are saying.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you" (Belmondo)

stevemacko
301 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2011 11:42 |  #43

Those of us with older bodies don't have the AF-ON button... 30D here.

jcpoulin wrote in post #11995555 (external link)
What's the difference from using the AF-ON button vs the * button for al-servo use and tracking?

A whole box of point and shoots, EOS 30D, EF 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8, Super Tak 135, 70-200 f/4 L

soonerce
236 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2011 12:04 |  #44

mtimber wrote in post #12001609 (external link)
Can you expand on this, I do not quite understand what you are saying.

This is how I set my camera up to focus on a different AF point with a different button:

1. Set C.Fn III-12 Orientation linked AF point to 1 (not sure this is required)
2. Hit the AF Point Selection button and select the AF point that you want to put in memory (for me this is the top AF point, but can be any of the 19)
3. Hold the AF Point Selection button and the LCD panel illumination button (lamp icon) down at the same time for approximately 3 seconds - it should stop blinking when it is memorized
4. Turn the camera horizontal and repeat this process to memorize the AF points you want to use with all orientations of the camera
5. After you have the points memorized, you can move the AF point back to where you normally use it (for me this is the center)
6. Next you need to customize your * and AF-ON buttons, do this in C.Fn IV-1 Custom Controls
7. Set the AF-ON button to "Metering and AF Start" then hit the Info button and select the graphic with the HP
8. Set the * button to "Metering and AF Start" then hit the info button and make sure it is set with the RP icon (? the option to the left, I don't have my camera with me)

Now when you hit the AF-ON button it will focus on the point you registered and when you hit the * button it will focus on whatever point you currently have selected.

More on this can be found in the manual on page 219. Hope this helps.

7D - Σ30 - EFS 15-85 - EF 100-400L - 430EX II

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,329 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 12, 2011 10:09 as a reply to  @ soonerce's post |  #45

No, you don't need orientation linked AF point selection for Home Points to work, but if you do enable it, you are allowed to store different home points for different orientations.

Anders

sponsored links

7,994 views & 0 likes for this thread
back button focus, why?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.