Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Mar 2011 (Thursday) 02:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Starting a website / online portfolio

calamari86
69 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2011 02:48 |  #1

Hello,

I am looking to create an online portfolio of my work. I'm not starting a business, but just an online portfolio of my work where I can showcase some samples of my work to people who may need. Flickr is great and all but I wanted something a bit more professional than flickr, so i am looking to create a webpage dedicated to my portfolio.

Im really new to this website domain and hosting stuff, Do you guys have any recommendations on what direction to go? I also heard about this other similar to "flickr" but you get your own domain name and such for photographers?

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

My Flickr!!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kyubophoto/ (external link)
Canon 5DII | 24-105mm F/4L IS | 580EXII | B800 | Vagabonds II | Pocketwizard Plus II

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,229 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 10, 2011 07:05 |  #2

calamari86 wrote in post #11992966 (external link)
Hello,

I am looking to create an online portfolio of my work. I'm not starting a business, but just an online portfolio of my work where I can showcase some samples of my work to people who may need. Flickr is great and all but I wanted something a bit more professional than flickr, so i am looking to create a webpage dedicated to my portfolio.

Im really new to this website domain and hosting stuff, Do you guys have any recommendations on what direction to go? I also heard about this other similar to "flickr" but you get your own domain name and such for photographers?

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

Here would be my quick and dirty ideas:

• If you want to host your own site, consider hostgator.com. Very reasonable pricing. In the control panel is a thing called fantastico which will allow you to choose, free, from many different photo gallery apps and install them for you. I design my own web pages, but as I understand it, they have a app to do that, too.
  • If you want an external gallery, try pbase. You can do limited photo hosting there for free, but a cheap pro account will greatly expand capabilities. See the "Unpublished work" link in my sig for an example.
  • Back to hosting your own. Consider installing a wordpress blog on hostgator. Free too, and a VERY powerful tool to get you out there. I do not do any gallery stuff on my blog, but wordpress is probably the most popular blogging tool around and has a ton of support and free plugins and I'm willing to bet there is a free gallery app available. Many people use wordpress as their "website" and blog.
  • Also, once you have settled on images to represent you, consider doing a slideshow and posting on youtube.
  • Also don't forget the other obvious social media possibilities. A biz page on FB. There, too, I am willing to bet FB has some sort of app to create a gallery.
  • Do them all, network them, coordinate them, and get yourself out there as thoroughly as possible.
Hope that helps.

Website (external link) |

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 11, 2011 09:43 |  #3

Here's what I did. Paid $10 for a domain name. Paid $50/year for a zenfolio account. Signed up to google apps (free) so I now have email addresses associated with my domain (e.g. contact@nicephotos.com (external link)). So I pay $60 / year for a site with my own domain name and business emails. This path certainly has limitations in terms of site design; but to be honest, what I have set up is good enough to generate business.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

silverstang23
427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 11, 2011 11:00 |  #4

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #12001020 (external link)
Here's what I did. Paid $10 for a domain name. Paid $50/year for a zenfolio account. Signed up to google apps (free) so I now have email addresses associated with my domain (e.g. contact@nicephotos.com (external link)). So I pay $60 / year for a site with my own domain name and business emails. This path certainly has limitations in terms of site design; but to be honest, what I have set up is good enough to generate business.

How did you get a free google apps account for e-mail?

Andrew Walker
Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickr (external link) My Website (external link)

tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 11, 2011 12:58 |  #5

silverstang23 wrote in post #12001458 (external link)
How did you get a free google apps account for e-mail?

The basic version of Google apps is free.. http://www.google.com/​apps/intl/en/group/ind​ex.html (external link)

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
Starting a website / online portfolio
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.