Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 11 Mar 2011 (Friday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Air Show Security

martini
60 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 11, 2011 13:10 |  #1

This year I'm planning to hit 3 shows hosted by the U.S. military. With the added security, all the show FAQ's state that "backpacks" are not permitted on the ramp...

http://www.wingsoverwa​yneairshow.com/faq.htm​l#Q14 (external link)
http://www.beaufortair​show.com/safety_inform​ation.html (external link)

My question is...I've got a Lowepro SlingShot and don't know if this qualifies as a backpack or not. I don't think it should since a traditional backpack has 1 large compartment that would be difficult to search at the security checkpoint while sling bags have separate, smaller compartments. Anyone know if security is allowing these? I know it's early in the show season in the U.S, but thought someone might know from previous years.

~Thanks,
Dave

- martini

sponsored links
Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 11, 2011 13:15 |  #2

the same "no backpacks" thing was on the net for Aviation Nation 2010 in November at Nellis AFB... and we got there and I ask an Air Force security guy passing by what was up and he said that normal sized backpacks were ok... and sure enough half the people there were carrying backpacks... so be prepared to carry your camera in or bring a messenger bag or belt pack... but it will probably be backpack friendly when it is all said and done...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

JMartel
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 11, 2011 13:36 |  #3

They let people wearing backpacks in. It's overly large backpacks that they're talking about. All that happens is they ask to open the bag. They had a policy of no backpacks during the Centennial of Naval Aviation here in SD a few weeks ago but just about everyone did.

Jeff
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

martini
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 11, 2011 13:48 |  #4

Thanks guys...I just didn't want to get there and be told to leave my gear in the car.

~Thanks,
Dave

- martini

squires
40 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2011 09:23 as a reply to  @ martini's post |  #5

I never had a problem getting a backpack. They always ask me to open it and show them whats inside.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 13, 2011 05:38 |  #6

squires wrote in post #12006418 (external link)
I never had a problem getting a backpack. They always ask me to open it and show them whats inside.

this can be - seen it done with bag checks and without. But at a US military base - I'd expect a bag check

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

JMartel
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 13, 2011 12:41 |  #7

Andrushka wrote in post #12010495 (external link)
this can be - seen it done with bag checks and without. But at a US military base - I'd expect a bag check

Yeah. They ask you to open it up and they check real quick. Not a big issue.

Jeff
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 14, 2011 17:01 |  #8

So I imagine a shoulder bag would be ok too?

JMartel
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 14, 2011 18:47 |  #9

Yes. No issues there.

Jeff
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2011 04:57 |  #10

gooble wrote in post #12019487 (external link)
So I imagine a shoulder bag would be ok too?

I assume you're asking about Luke AFB?

AFAIK, camera bags are ok but be prepared to have it inspected and be prepared to show them that everything and anything works as advertised.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 15, 2011 17:11 |  #11

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12022938 (external link)
I assume you're asking about Luke AFB?

AFAIK, camera bags are ok but be prepared to have it inspected and be prepared to show them that everything and anything works as advertised.

Yeah, Luke.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably take my shoulder bag or a backpack.

I guess they hope most people reading the rules will be discouraged from bringing a bag altogether thus lessening their work load. However, as I remember when I went four years ago I brought no bag but I don't remember them checking anybody. There were guards standing at the entrance with rifles that surveyed people but I don't remember searches. Maybe I'm just not remembering right.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 15, 2011 17:17 |  #12

gooble wrote in post #12026674 (external link)
Yeah, Luke.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably take my shoulder bag or a backpack.

I guess they hope most people reading the rules will be discouraged from bringing a bag altogether thus lessening their work load. However, as I remember when I went four years ago I brought no bag but I don't remember them checking anybody. There were guards standing at the entrance with rifles that surveyed people but I don't remember searches. Maybe I'm just not remembering right.

I don't think you're remembering right... ;)

They were pretty thorough at the "hole in the wall" entrance at Litchfield and Glendale. I decided to go with only a vest but I crammed so much stuff in it I'm sure they thought I was trying to be Mad Max in the scene where he arrives at Thunder Dome! I just kept pulling out lenses, a flash, water bottles, Lens Pen, Rocket Blower, cords, a hat and even a small folding camp stool!

Oh, and then there were the two cameras hanging off my shoulders as well! :lol:

Driving in on Saturday (parking pass ftw!) so I'll go loaded for bear but probably only two bodies and three lenses on Sunday.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 16, 2011 11:36 |  #13

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12026707 (external link)
I don't think you're remembering right... ;)

They were pretty thorough at the "hole in the wall" entrance at Litchfield and Glendale. I decided to go with only a vest but I crammed so much stuff in it I'm sure they thought I was trying to be Mad Max in the scene where he arrives at Thunder Dome! I just kept pulling out lenses, a flash, water bottles, Lens Pen, Rocket Blower, cords, a hat and even a small folding camp stool!

Oh, and then there were the two cameras hanging off my shoulders as well! :lol:

Driving in on Saturday (parking pass ftw!) so I'll go loaded for bear but probably only two bodies and three lenses on Sunday.

I very well could not be remembering right but I'm almost positive that I did not empty my pockets as I was wearing a vest as well. I don't think they took a second look at me.

Anyway, I'm not that fond of vests so this time I'll do without one and stuff everything in a backpack.

BTW, you had a camp stool in your vest! :eek:

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 16, 2011 15:58 |  #14

I have a Tamarac backpack style bag that I've taken onto base for airshows as recently as this past October. I was asked to unzip the front for a brief inspection.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Night ­ Hawk
51 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 17, 2011 22:45 as a reply to  @ bsmotril's post |  #15

Hope to see some of you there however I will be working both days at North EOR with the Redbull and Geico Demo Team from 1400 till close. I will still have my gear with me... Hope ya'll enjoy!

- Greg -?
8th FW "Wolfpack" F-16 Crew Chief Tail# 90-0724/ USAF
- My Gear
GS Photography
- My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,606 views & 0 likes for this thread
Air Show Security
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.